How old?

greg g

This belonged to my father, don't know how long he owned it.  Most likely post 1945 as that was when he mustered out of the Navy, ot it may have been part of his gunners mate kit. Only marking is on the locking latch, Gerstner and Sons, Daton, Ohio.  When he found work after his service it was as a set up man for industrial punchpress machines.6

IMG_20200115_152744.jpg

IMG_20200115_152841.jpg

IMG_20200115_152756.jpg

• Like 2

nice machinist chest.....the wooden ones are hard to beat.  That would be great for any shop/tool oriented person to own.  My go to machinist tool chest is a spray type felt liner all metal Kennedy and am glad to have that...!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-H-Gerstner-Sons-Oak-Wood-Model-W52-11-Drawer-Machinist-Tool-Box-Chest/312940979550?hash=item48dcbc655e:g:weYAAOSwsnVeGkOJ

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yeah all solid wood, no plywood, that would likely help determine vintage. Very little in terms of wear.  His last use was for fly tieing supplies.  No staining on the felt.  There was a bin of machinist tools that was sold at the estate sale, but I held the box out.

• Like 1

That company (H. Gerstner & Sons) has been in business making that kind of stuff since before WW1.  A friend of mine in Buffalo, NY collected and restored those chests as a hobby, unfortunately, he died a few years ago, so I can't ping him for more info.  They are still in business, and could probably help dating that particular cabinet.  Parts are readily available, if I recall correctly.

Okay, this is how you tell how old it is:

The center drawer is called the Bible drawer. It fitted “The Machinery Handbook” that was current when it was made. I think they are up to the twenty seventh or eight edition. My 22d edition I got in 1984 is about an inch too thick. My guess is late 1940s as you said.

Gerstner was the last of the wood toolbox makers still in business. When a friend of mine died I sent his toolbox back to them and they restored it for his widow to use as a jewelry box. If you clean it up you’ll see how carefully they match the grain from side to the lid.....I think they use pieces cut from the same board.

I have gotten some very good responds from the Company.  They are still going strong and still family owned an operated but H the father started the business,  H the Son had no sons, the daughters husband's and their sons are now in the drivers seats.

Anyway, the box is a model 42 Apprentice case, apparently the companies top seller in the beginning and still today.  The pencil numbers on the backs of the drawers were indeed production numbers but we're used to keep drawer sets and cases together as they were individually hand fitted. They were sequential in nature but we're not tracked or recorded as the chests went from fit to finish to completion so not helpful for dating purposes.  The lady when I have been corresponding with said they don't know when they went from solid wood to plywood with hardwood overly so no help there either.  I thing the Bible went with the tools. Lots of sterret stuff!  I recall looking through it but don't recall the edition.  I guess I will see if there is a Bible editions list some where that might be a hint.  I know Dad mustered out of the Navy in December 1945 at Brooklyn Navy Yard, took the train home and went to work on the farm till he got a car and got a job in the punch press tool room at the Easy Washing Machine Company in Syracuse.  He did set up, calibration and maintenance on the press lines at the factory till it closed in 1963.  So he probably got it while employee there.  Did Gerstner have reps that went around like snap on or Matco?  Never seen this type of chest in a store.

Edited by greg g

This came from the woman who has been answering my questions.  Today's replacement cost starts around 500 bucks

Most chests during that time were ordered through companies. Some companies gave the chests as awards for completing an apprenticeship program, as retirement gifts or as employee gifts if they worked there a certain number of years. Some companies did offer a program where the chest could be purchased and then paid with payroll deductions.

We do not have any stores that sell our chests. It is all factory direct or through authorized dealers. Most of the chests can actually ship with the Postal Service and UPS has been delivering packages in the continuous lower 48 states since the mid 1970s. Most of our salesmen wrote letters and corresponded with companies and colleges that way. Occasionally, they did travel so that they could bring examples of the chests.

The "Machinist & Aerospace Workers Union" would give you one of those after you finished the first 6 months of your apprenticeship. That was the probationary period where they could decide if you had the makings to learn the trade or if they were going to cut you free. Nice box and looks in great shape. I have one as well and will see if it has any of the old paperwork that came with it. I thought way back in the day outfits like Sears and Montgomery Wards had a catalogue that you could order a wood machinist box but it could have been another brand. My mother used to grind carbide tooling for Fansteel/VR Wesson and she had the metal "Kennedy" machinist box.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, greg g said:

By the way I would like to find some one interested in the flies and supplies including some road kill donors...

I will take the entire supply. Give me a pm.