Best path to daily driver

About a year ago I purchased a '49(ish) Pilothouse. The body is in great shape, motor turns over but doesn't run. I've wanted to do a project like this for years but I've never done anything like it before. I am pretty comfortable with fabrication, currently practicing my mig welding, and good with mechanical stuff (but again not a lot of car/truck experience).

My Wish-list:

• A Pilothouse that I can drive to work and back (50 miles round trip, potentially on the highway) daily.
  • Modern suspension and brakes 
  • A/C (I live in Florida)

Sorry to those this may offend, but I am not a Mopar purist. I love the style of these trucks and I want to keep the outer appearances in-line with that era. But as far as the "guts" go I want to use what ever combination of make/model/year that helps me achieve my goal without spending a fortune or a lifetime. 

Considering this is my first build I am thinking about doing the S-10 swap (maybe with the code 504 kit). My question is:

Can I just keep the existing S-10 motor/transmission/accessories and fit the dodge body over it? I see so many posts about swapping motors with these s-10 conversions but it seems like for a beginner the simplest path would be to just reuse the s-10 powertrain.  Am I missing something?

The other option I see is keeping the original frame and swapping out the front and rear ends for something more modern and building up a new powertrain but that seems a little daunting and I don't want to bite off more that I can chew for my first go. 

Any advice for the newbie? 

Thanks,

- Jason

49_Pilothouse_1.jpg

If your goal is dependability, chane the rear axle to 3:73, put disc brakes on the front and tune the flathead. I.drive daily with the big rigs and pass them at will. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. 

EF94FAB1-3F10-4296-A561-C06D4ED1B1F5.jpeg

46502FF9-B38D-4959-ABFD-4F00AC6CB95F.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I bet this topic ends up getting a lot of discussion!

Air conditioning?  Vintage Air. 

S10 chassis:  I don't see why you couldn't or wouldn't keep the GM drive train intact once you accept the notion of a non-Mopar power plant.   I would only entertain the 4.3 V6 engine. The other original engines aren't even worth considering for this application.  SBC does swap into S10s relatively easy so there's that possibility.  You will still have to sort through the hanging pedal conversion, steering column integration, radiator, firewall clearance, 12V upgrades, shifter or clutch linkage, etc., etc.  I personally wouldn't take the project on without an entire functional S10 to cannibalize; finding and buying all the needed fiddly bits runs up the T&M real quick.

Is the S10  swap less work than doing some targeted modern upgrades to the original chassis?  I think not necessarily but those going through it right now can perhaps chime in with first hand experience.  One thing for sure,  any S10  you source is still a decades old truck and will require some refurbishment just like the original Dodge parts.  There's no free lunch there. Also you're basically putting the equivalent of an 80s mid size GM car under your truck.  Whether that is a net negative or benefit is up for debate.

It is for sure more fun to drive a vintage truck to work than some boring hybrid hippy car or generic SUV.

Good Luck! 

Oh, and KEEP YOUR MOPAR MOPAR!?

31 minutes ago, Old CWO said:

I bet this topic ends up getting a lot of discussion!

Yup!

Personally I like them stock but lots of other members like to do modern upgrades on the original chassis, add a different tranny or change out the differential. Others will go strictly hotrod or restomod. Good luck with whatever you choose.

As PFlaming mentioned, switching to front disc brakes (RustyHope), switching to a Jeep Cherokee 3.73 or 3.55 rear axle with disc brakes (Jeff Balazs), and getting the flathead engine to run well and you're well on your way to having a decent daily driver.  

My original plan was for a true restoration which is just the opposite of your plans but various issues cropped up that somewhat forced me to do something with the rear axle which has since led to converting to front disc brakes as well.  These simple changes will now give me a pretty decent daily driver.  There's nothing wrong with frame swaps and such but there's also nothing wrong with performing a few simple upgrades to achieve similar results.

Your truck, do what you want.

Brad

Hi Jason;

I will chime in.

I drive my 52 B-3-C daily and have for the last 4 years. It has never left me stranded and is easy to maintain. And it is basically very close to stock. The mods I have made is swapping out the rear axle for a 3.55 Grand Cherokee axle to gain the more usable ratio and disc brakes. I paired that up with the Rustyhope disc fit on the front and a modern M/C. I also fitted a 6v alternator and a few other electrical upgrades like an electric fuel pump and Pertronix ignition. Oh yah I insulated / soundproofed the living daylites out of the cab.

It really works well and I did not create a monster or something that has a limited life span.

Jeff

I am very happy with a Cherokee rear axle, manual front disc conversion and properly functioning stock steering.  Handles, stops, steers just fine and retains that vintage truck feel.  Those are cheap, easy and well documented upgrades for the B series trucks that really make a huge difference.

The flattie... I love the flattie for how I use my truck as a weekend cruiser/enthusiast toy/Home Depot hauler.  Nothing says cool like a straight six flathead under the hood, especially those that are dolled up with dual carbs and such.  I would be hard pressed to get rid of mine.   I do however find she's under powered when there's any kind of weekday traffic.  I am sure one of our Canadian friends is going to chime in shortly and say that a souped up big inch flathead is plenty of power.  I will respectfully agree to disagree.

My opinion based on my experience is that something the size, weight and shape of our trucks needs at least 200 HP and 275 TQ or so to be a confident daily driver in city traffic.  That's not a tall order and there are many ways to get there reliably.  I would also posit that any upgrade effort should also include some type of fuel injection and overdrive transmission.  I believe those technological improvements are a big reason why modern vehicles are more pleasant to drive.

So for the sake of bench racing (and spending other people's money!) here's a recipe:

• XJ Chrysler 8.25 rear axle with drum brakes and 3.55 gears
  • Disc brake front kit and XJ master cylinder
  • 12v conversion
  • go through the stock steering and suspension,  fix everything to like new
  • Radial tires
  • Good running stock or mildly built DODGE 318/360 topped with Holley Sniper EFI  
  • Vintage Air
  • NV3550 5 speed from Dakota or NV4500 from Ram 2500 if you're ever going to tow or put big power through it (real  trucks have 3 pedals - say no to the auto)
  • Can't live without power brakes?  Switch to hanging pedals and put booster/master on the firewall.  Also probably facilitates the trans swap and exhaust clearance 
  • Can't live without power steering?  Axle mounted rack and pinion or one of those whiz-bang universal electra-steer units 

Would be like driving a Dakota except the chicks will dig it and you didn't have to turn your Dodge truck in a Chevy car..?

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the "family". And as these guys have stated, these trucks can be quite reliable as a daily driver in 'mostly' stock configuration. I don't use mine as a daily ride, but I have done some significant road trips with it and am quite happy with my stock(ish) truck. The 3.73 diff makes highway travel easier... The front disc brake upgrade makes stopping at that speed less of a pucker factor... and as long at the truck is moving, it steers with ease.

However, I also see the allure of a 'modern' chassis under the 'classic' skin. And if I lived in Florida I'd probably want A/C too. I've seen a few builds on the S10 chassis, and the Code 504 kit is mentioned frequently. I have no experience with it, but I believe we have a member here currently doing that with his truck. The name escapes me at the moment, but maybe he'll chime in soon. I also saw your post on the FB group page. I've seen this swap referred to more often there, so maybe those guys can also offer some guidance. From what I hear the S10 chassis tends to be a bit narrow in track width, although that can be compensated for with wheels, or spacers.

I've also heard that the Dakota chassis is a very good fit for these trucks. Or even a Dakota front clip graft, keeping the rest of the chassis stock so as not to recreate body mounts and etc. There are many options available.

Whichever way you go with it, stick around and let us follow your progress. We all love to follow a good project.

Merle

2 hours ago, bkahler said:

Your truck, do what you want.

and your time and money..

I should add, I removed the 2nd up leaf from all four spring racks. That gave a much nicer ride, lowered the. Stance 2” and corners much better.