Shop lights

pflaming

I am with you Paul, I recently removed my 8’ fluorescent bulbs fixtures and replaced them with 4’ LED fixtures. I too am impressed with the start up and overall lighting.
I did save the old fixtures though, at least until I paint my truck  ?

What do those look like installed?  I've got LED lighting in our garage, but it's just plain ol' bulbs.  I'm planning on installing actual shop lighting this upcoming spring, but haven't decided specifics as of yet. 

I put one on a drop cord, then pulled it up to the top of mr cathedral ceiling shop. Looks like a miniature ceiling fan. I will lower it and readjust the lights for the best lighting for my needs. One thing is very clear, I have a much safer shop! Will get a photo later today.

I have installed 4' Lithonia LED shop lights in several locations and have been impressed with the light quality...these have been an improvement over the 4' fluorescent lamps with failing ballasts that would have trouble on humid or chilly days.  The LED light is not harsh or intense, installation was no more difficult than installing fluorescents, and the price was competitive tho slightly higher than fluorescents. My only concern is if the LED strip fails, the entire fixture requires replacement..my neighbor installed 8' LEDs that have a bluish tint and work well, but its apparent that he should have gone with 4' and spread them out as he has shadowing in certain areas...he saved $$$ on labor but sacrificed quality.

I took a different approach to lighting up a metal barn by using GE daylight LED flood lamps pointed down on 10' centers.  The sealed junction boxes are attached to pitched roof purlins that vary from 12' to 20' high...metal conduit to each junction to protect from gnawing critters...since this was a 30x60 barn, I could save on materials costs buying in bulk...each light (LED + hardware) ran about $12 + my labor...it was a tedious approach but allows for future expansion and bulb replacement costs are relatively low, light quality is very good as there is almost negligible shadowing...this overhaul replaced failing 500W halogen floodlights that were spaced too far apart that barely lit up the space, as shadowing was terrible and the lights were too intense.

I had a gf several years ago whose small 2-car garage was lit by a single CFL...woefully inadequate...I installed 4' fluorescent lamps just to the outside of the garage door tracks as well as replaced the Edison fixture.  This put light roughly 3' from 3 white walls with the door up or down, which helped to produce an ambient light effect.  It was a little dim in the middle, especially with cars in there or the door up, but a vast improvement overall.  Two more 4' lamps straddling the garage door opener track would have helped, but she couldn't be bothered to thank me for that much work, so I took that experience and used it in several other locations...bless her heart :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

What do those look like installed?  I've got LED lighting in our garage, but it's just plain ol' bulbs.  I'm planning on installing actual shop lighting this upcoming spring, but haven't decided specifics as of yet. 

I've seen "bulbs" like Paul posted that screw into your standard bulb socket. 

I too upgraded my garage last summer. All the florescents left and got upgraded to LED. The 4' ones got changed over to LED bulbs with no ballast. I got some cheap used 4' ones to replace all the 8' fixtures I had. 

Edited by Young Ed

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I've seen "bulbs" like Paul posted that screw into your standard bulb socket. 

I too upgraded my garage last summer. All the florescents left and got upgraded to LED. The 4' ones got changed over to LED bulbs with no ballast. I got some cheap used 4" ones to replace all the 8' fixtures I had. 

That's just what I installed - plain old screw in LED bulbs - because I already had all the hardware for screw in bulbs.  But, I spaced the boxes so I can use them to hardwire 4' LED shop lights when the time comes.  Up in these parts, LED shop lights didn't become readily available until two years after I rewired the shop (only a couple years ago).  I gave up a little initial lighting coverage knowing I'd upgrade in a few years.  I like the instant on and brightness of LED, and no issues with whatever the temperature happens to be.  

I rewired my brothers shop for him...a 24 x 24 and installed the screw base with appropriate screw in LED bulbs...I wired the lights also for 3-way left side on one switch, right on another and as such made it user friendly.  First time in years he had been able to really see in that building.  Not at all expensive to do either.  BUT if you have tube fixtures in place already, as in my shop I have many 3 and 4 tube fixtures, I removed the ballast and did LED tube upgrades, I elected to buy the single end as it is also quick and easy to modify the fixture, takes the weight out of the fixtures also making easy up and down to service when the time comes.   As many here probably do/did, my lights plug into outlets built into the overhead of the shop and controlled by wall switches per the four zones.  Best bang for the buck, the LEDs are not any more than quality fluorescent replacement tubes today.   bought mine in box of 100 and another box of 25.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Funny this topic come up now.  Just looking into replacing mine. I have 18 4ft fluorescent fixtures in my 30x42 shop now, I've had to replace 3 over the last couple years and have another one with a bad ballast. I'm going to put LEDs in this time, single end, convert the fixture. I have quad outlets in the ceiling on 2 switches. Just trying to decide what bulbs to buy. Right now I have 6500k and the light is good.

6 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Funny this topic come up now.  Just looking into replacing mine. I have 18 4ft fluorescent fixtures in my 30x42 shop now, I've had to replace 3 over the last couple years and have another one with a bad ballast. I'm going to put LEDs in this time, single end, convert the fixture. I have quad outlets in the ceiling on 2 switches. Just trying to decide what bulbs to buy. Right now I have 6500k and the light is good.

Sunnine brand has been very good per my experience....I also buy the clear and not milky shield....

2 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

watch carefully. besides clear or frosted and the different brightness levels there are also some that still use the ballast and others that require power at only one end or power at both ends.  Personally the ones that don't need a ballast and only power at 1 end are the way to go.  

• Like 1

I switched out 96 - 4’ light bulbs a month ago in my wood shop.  We went with the ballast free bulbs. My ballast were 12 years old so I figured the ballast were going to be going next, lights are on 14 hour days, 6 days a week. My shop is incredibly bright now.  I would not go with the 6500K bulb my opinion because it gives a bluish tint. I went with all 5000 K daylight bulbs.