Made another tool for my '67 Barracuda rebuild

Bobacuda

The body is at the body shop, I have the drivetrain at my place.  Trying to move the diff around reminded me that I did not want to work on it on the floor, so I got to looking at the tubing I had left over from the k-frame/engine/trans dolly and I thought, "Why not make one for the diff?"  I tried to make it adjustable enough to use with other diffs, but it would require some additional "fabrication" to use on a diff that mounts under the springs.  The bottom of the brake drum is 15" above the floor.  The support under the input collar is a bit redundant on this diff, but I thought it might be necessary on others...and I had the scraps to build it with.

Diff Dolly 1 (2).JPG

• Like 6

Both great ideas. Sniper, i also have a 65 Barracuda. From the looks of the rear end you plan on making it go. Mine shall retain the 7.25 for the time being, unless i trip over something better. 
the cart i use for my rear diff is a rolling cart, some plywood screwed to the sides with v-notches. 

• 2 weeks later...

My brother is the wood worker...I am the wood butcher.  He uses fine cut saws...I use chain saws. :rolleyes:.  The last time we worked together we built a pole barn.  He cut each rafter on his side individually.  I strapped all of mine together and made one cut with the chain saw - I thought he was going to kill me.  Like I told him, "The hay and the cows will never know the difference." 

And that is why rolling cart is made of metal - less chance of it falling apart and landing on me.  I am lucky enough to have a tractor with a front end loader, which is how I pick up heavy stuff now.

8 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

My brother is the wood worker...I am the wood butcher.  He uses fine cut saws...I use chain saws. :rolleyes:.  The last time we worked together we built a pole barn.  He cut each rafter on his side individually.  I strapped all of mine together and made one cut with the chain saw - I thought he was going to kill me.  Like I told him, "The hay and the cows will never know the difference." 

And that is why rolling cart is made of metal - less chance of it falling apart and landing on me.  I am lucky enough to have a tractor with a front end loader, which is how I pick up heavy stuff now.

Forklift, shop crane,forks on my 3 point hitch on the kubota. I dont lift  anything that can hurt me. Plus the hoist in the shop,lifts more than just cars. 

my brother in law just modified his wood lathe to cut threads on dowels. Very impressive. Retired machinist,measures for cuts with a micrometer, i use an ax...

Edited by Tooljunkie