Which heater looks right ?

Boody

Boody;

I just noticed that your application is a panel truck. Heating the entire truck (no matter what heater you end up using) will take a while.

You might want to concentrate your efforts on the defroster function. I actually modified my Model 65 heater by covering some of the fan outlets to help increase the airflow out through the defroster ports. This made quite a difference to the defroster function. Each heater configuration is a bit different so mods like this may or may not be necessary.

Jeff

4 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Boody;

I just noticed that your application is a panel truck. Heating the entire truck (no matter what heater you end up using) will take a while.

You might want to concentrate your efforts on the defroster function. I actually modified my Model 65 heater by covering some of the fan outlets to help increase the airflow out through the defroster ports. This made quite a difference to the defroster function. Each heater configuration is a bit different so mods like this may or may not be necessary.

Jeff

sacrilege!  :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

sacrilege!  :P

Yes maybe to some........but at least I have not chopped up a couple of cabs and put them on one of those noisy smelly diesels.?

Besides all I did to my heater is stick on a couple of formed pieces of aluminum to cover cab side outlets. They can be popped off and the heater is as it was when it left the factory. It still heats the cab up in about 5 minutes. And it works better in the defroster mode than it did without the "modification".

I do realize that this sort of tweak probably seems unnecessary to most owners.....but I seriously doubt they actually use one of these trucks as their primary transportation. I get to put mine to the test day in and day out. Puts things into a different perspective. Functional windshield wipers and a defroster are a must.......And a lot of the OEM type equipment can be made to work and be reliable. But sometimes it needs a little help.

• Haha 2

Yep that would probably do the trick. I will tell you that I rarely leave my heater/ defroster on for more than about 10 minutes because the cab gets too warm. I probably over did a bit it on cab insulation but that also makes a huge difference.

Have fun with your panel truck. They are way cool.

Jeff

I replaced the defroster hoses on my model 65 Truckmaster couple of months ago, I use the defroster all the time and it works great. Hoses came from DCM, but the length they sent wasn't long enough for the 2 defrosters on the '52, short by about 6 inches - I ended up patching one of the original hoses to use to extend the new hose.

-Roland

Chatt Hills, GA

17 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Yes maybe to some........but at least I have not chopped up a couple of cabs and put them on one of those noisy smelly diesels.?

hey now....those cabs were slated for the crusher anyway!

Diesel ain't smelly...unless you want it to be.  Now noisy......

Unless your unit has a fresh air source, defrosters are marginal at best.  Basically all it does is redeposit the heated moisture on the inside of the window.  That was why the aforementioned 49 Plymouth had that long inlet from the rad support to get outside air to be heated and used door defrost.  Usually if you want the defrost to work you need to have the door type units closed to heat.  Generally the heater fan switch was a resistance unit that provides lower voltage for lower speeds with a single wire the default when hoked to power is the high speed.  You can still get the clamp on knob adjusted resistance switches but on six volts they pretty much put out as much heat as the heater.  My business coupe has the model 36 heater which hangs from the firewall in the pass foot well.  It had a switch to open a rout for defrost and the valve on the engine is either closed for summer or open for winter. So the fan is adjustable and the doors open or close to determine direction of air and fan speed.  That little thing will blast you out just need a towel or two for demist or run with the vent windows open to get some fresh air into the equation.

Not having the fresh air intake on my model 65, requires cracking open the cowl vent which seems to work OK. Would love to find the parts for the fresh air intake for my ‘52. Is this something that can be fabricated? I see the outline for it on the firewall.

-roland

30 minutes ago, minicooper said:

Not having the fresh air intake on my model 65, requires cracking open the cowl vent which seems to work OK. Would love to find the parts for the fresh air intake for my ‘52. Is this something that can be fabricated? I see the outline for it on the firewall.

-roland

Recommend you watch e-bay for a while. The parts are out there. I found several as NOS. The ones that aren’t are survivors in great shape.  Bob

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, minicooper said:

-roland

I'll drop you a PM

Thanks a nice heater install...