Fule Tank Bracket Frame Holes

I need to replace the fuel tank in the B3C 116 (rusted through at the top and leaking). I've read a few thread about replacements. Tanks Inc has a reasonably priced tank for the 39-47 trucks but's shorter than the b series tanks, https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm. I've read where you can modify the bracket with a welded piece of steel to make it fit, but I looked at the bracket on my B3C and it looks like all I have to do is un-bolt it, slide it up a few inches and drill three new holes on the frame.

Anyone used this tank? Is there any risk of weakening the frame by drilling new holes close to the existing holes?

-Roland

27 minutes ago, minicooper said:

I looked at the bracket on my B3C and it looks like all I have to do is un-bolt it, slide it up a few inches and drill three new holes on the frame.

I believe you are correct. The stock location on the 1/2 ton trucks is to bolt tank to the cross member.

On longer wheel base trucks, the cross member is moved back, so the factory provides the bracket you need, for the "tanks" gas tank to work.

I have bought the Tanks gas tank also a new sending unit with it, I like what I see, but have not installed it yet.

It has a location to add a built in fuel pump if needed, a drain location on bottom.

They claim you may need to cut the fuel neck a little shorter then add a longer rubber hose from tube to tank ???? I am not sure would need to do so, comparing old tank to new.

I will have to make the mounting bracket, you can see how simple it will be to reproduce what the factory bracket is. Sure this is why "Tanks" not bother to change their dimension.

I will say the new sending unit seems ok, Am a bit leery of it though.  The float is adjustable, you slide the rod up and down to fit your application, then tighten the clamp to hold it.

Just something I did not like when I opened the package, will try to modify it and double nut it or maybe even weld it once locate where I want it.

41 minutes ago, minicooper said:

Is there any risk of weakening the frame by drilling new holes close to the existing holes?

Going from memory, I think there is 3" difference in stock tank and Tank's tank, your new holes would be 3" away and no issue.

Even 1" away I would think it to be non issue, you could always weld the old holes up but ....would be for looks and not because frame is weaker.

Thanks for the info. I thought about threading carriage bolts through the empty holes to fill them. I think one of the bolts for the tank bracket is shared by a running board bracket so I'll only have 2 empty holes.

They sell the sending unit, but I believe they are listing the incorrect ohm reading for Mopar. They list it as "ORG - Early Ford & Mopar - 73-10 Ohms". I may be wrong but isn't the Dodge gauge 90 ohms?

-Roland

additional information - Gas Tank Renu Testimonial 

I have lost all of the Polaroids when I sent my tank off, but the hole was so big in the top that I could scoop out all of the crud with both hands...the Renu folks cleaned, patched, coated and warrantied their work back in '96 and it's still holding...

The original sending units were 90 -10 ohms, DCM looks to be selling a robust unit nowadays, but the Tanks, Inc. unit is close enough to work with...I reckon when the gauge needle stops moving at about 1/4 full, then you need to plan to head to the fillin' station or have on a good pair of walking shoes...  :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added link
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on the Gas Tank Renu. Once I pull the tank, before buying new, I may inspect it thoroughly and see if it can be cleaned, patched up and coated. Tanks Inc does have a 90 - 0 ohms unit listed for other makes. I'm not scared of walking if I have to!

-Roland

Thanks Brad,

For some reason I thought those wouldn’t fit the Tanks INC 5 hole ring? I Have one of the DCM sending units in my current tank. Since I haven’t ordered the tank yet, I may look at them again and see if the one I have will work. 

-roland

The sending unit I bought was a drop in for the original tank.  The Tanks Inc tank might be a different story.

I do know you can remove the sending unit assembly from the round plate just by removing one nut so you just as easily could move the DCM sending unit from the round plate and install it on any plate you want to.

• Thanks 1