Pilot bushing removal/replacement

Edd

Just joined. Had viewed site before seeking answers. My most recent question was how to remove the pilot bushing on my 1940 P10.Had done it with my dad when I was a kid.  Saw various answers/methods from chisel to one gentleman who apparently has the exact Mopar tool. Lucky guy. Just thought I’d share how I got mine out. Buy a Pittsburgh 62601 Bearing puller kit  at Harbor Freight or online.  Engine in car. . One, spray/soak with JB Blaster. Works better than Liquid Wrench I think.  I sprayed it a couple times and let it sit overnight. Two, using a wooden dowel or socket with extension that fits diameter of hole in crankshaft tap the bushing hard a few times and watch closely for the bushing to move IN a tad. This means the bushing will move. Insert appropriate fitting from bearing puller setprovided as directed, use as directed. Attach slide hammer. Slam a few times. Should pop right out. 

• Like 2

Its very brittle, so the chisel/screw driver will break it part, this works as well.

Grease and a tight fitting dowel works too.

• Like 1

Besides a "Blind hole puller" you can use a big old tap.

Just thread it in and then pull it out. Good for generator bushings too.

Some guys get an old rusty tap and weld a big nut on the end so they can use a slap hammer or just lever it.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I've heard of people using a bit of white bread, too.  (Same theory - Stuff it in the hole, then drive in the dowel or a stab shaft.)

Edited by Eneto-55

7 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Thats how my high school auto mechanics teacher showed us. Works just fine.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a puller, it worked to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-pilot-bearing-puller-4876.html