Front pop out window removal

Dunkin

Howdy,

I am looking to replace the rubber seal on the front pop out window on my 1947 WHA-48 2 ton Dodge and I was curious if anyone might be able to give me pointers on how to take the actual cranking mechanism apart.  I have unbolted the hinges above, but I am concerned about removing and reinstalling the cranking mechanism when I go to re-install the window.  I am only looking to replace the seal that goes between the window and the truck, not the actual window seal.  I tried to remove the two screws that bolt the metal sliding piece to the window frame, but to no avail....rust seems to have welded the screws to the frame:-(

Regards,

Roman

the actual mechanism isn't easy to get apart. Does yours crank freely? I think what I would do in your situation is remove the stop at the other end of the tape and then wind it through the mechanism. I believe that'd be the easiest to undo and allow the seal to be replaced. 

Hello Young Ed,

It cranks as though it just came off the line, so yes!  There is a stop that is removable at the end of the tape?  I thought the tape/stop was one piece and thus why I needed to remove the entire mechanism to remove the window.  I will need to look closer at it this weekend.  That would definitely do the trick if that is the case.

Roman

1 hour ago, Dunkin said:

Hello Young Ed,

It cranks as though it just came off the line, so yes!  There is a stop that is removable at the end of the tape?  I thought the tape/stop was one piece and thus why I needed to remove the entire mechanism to remove the window.  I will need to look closer at it this weekend.  That would definitely do the trick if that is the case.

Roman

It's not meant to be removable. It's a large rivet like piece. Just probably the easiest way out if you can't get it off the windshield frame. 

If you have a shop manual, there is a reference to windshield in the body section. It says to open window, remove the two screws that holds the regulator to the frame. Hold the windshield straight out and remove the screws which hold hinge to windshield. I'd be spraying those screws. If you can Dremel a slot in the screws, maybe you'll work them loose. If that don't work, dremel the head of the screws off. The screws have be removable, don't mess with regulator. Once the frame is out I would mig weld a 10-32 nut to the studs, to remove. A good steel nut, even a square one. I used S/S button head socket screws for replacements.