1941 Chrysler Windsor Front Sway Bar

jim6346

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get a front sway bar for a 1941 Chrysler

Windsor, or what years/model will interchange? I bought one for a 1942

and definitely won't fit.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jim

If I recall the 41 was the last year it sat on top of the frame in front of the radiator support, you should be able to look to Dodge and DeSoto as a source....the three shared chassis...just be sure you not looking to the large 7 passengers and suburbans, they may be different setup.

Not sure if this is any help but 1940/41 Plymouth front sway bars are the same type, ie, they mount as Plymouthy mentions above the chassis, in front of the lower radiator, I'm unaware whether the Plymouth one will be a direct fit onto the Chrysler however I would think it should as the front suspension is basically the same thru all 4 makes, Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto & Chrysler...........I replaced the front sway bar on the Oz 1940 Dodge I have which uses the 1940 Plymouth chassis & suspension with a larger, 1" thick bar I had custom made(see attached pic) but the actual shape of the bar was identical to the original one except for the ends of the bar using hiem joints instead of the rubber/metal encased links.............an original 1940/41 Plymouth/Dodge bar is approximately 5/8th thick...................when i bought the 41 Plymouth Coupe I had a few yrs ago it didn't have a front sway bar, I drove it just around the corner and decided I had to get a sway bar......I found one from a 1940 Plymouth sedan, bolted straight up and made a huge difference..........not as good as the 1" bar but I wouldn't drive a car without one ..........regards, Andy Douglas    

013.JPG

015.JPG

• Like 1

All Mopar car lines 1940-41 use the same sway bar..six or eight cars.

Part #855059...could not find info on the links or mount brackets.

thank Bob for confirming the STRANGER THINGS, I could not separate the links from my 41 swap bar....not sure how they put them things together but they sure hold up well.  Mine was mailed to chap in the UK while back, they got way fewer options for finding parts than we in the US....I went aftermarket as I also had to move the radiator....could not use stock if I wanted to....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Plymouthy..........you probably know this ...lol.......the 40/41 sway bar is a press style fit into the upper portion of the sway bar link.....it has a hole into which the bar is pushed and held firm by the rubber.......the lower end of the link has a small bracket that bolts onto the front of the lower shock absorber bolt or mount..........the 40 Plymouth sway bar I obtained had no links but I was able to buy a couple of NOS links on US ebay , how much I can't remember but they are listed regularly............they were an easy fit onto the sway bar and to the 41 Plymouth......andyd

There are 5 listings for 1940 Plymouth sway bar links on US ebay right now...3 are for NOS pairs for $79-$89 a pair which to me seems a good deal........no sway bar but these are a start and the listings state that they fit all four brands...........andyd.

I know these pop off but I was not sure if I popped them off for ease of shipping to England would they return to their respective place and still be secure.  I know with new link this should be case that they be secure and tight...I figured the man in GB would prefer a bolt on unit without a need to further chase down new links....again, the chaps over here have fewer bushes to shake parts out of.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The 1940 -41 Plymouth sway bar itself is the same as a Chrysler sway bar as noted above.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Glad to help, as I stated I rarely will sell parts but you folks over there get priority if I do...your neck of the woods has so limited resources for these old car.  Here in the US, I will not say they falling like leaves from the trees but slightly better overall.  For giggles, I will let you know I am making great gains daily on one of my British cars right now....Enjoy the Drive.....

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

• Like 1

Lots of the LBC (little British cars) did not fare well in many parts of the world, honestly not many cars of any kind is immune.  Many owners in GB state advanced rot is common.  In the land down under not as bad.  In the US it depends on how far from the rust belt the little car ventured, no cars got out of the rust belt unscathed.  This one was not without some rust issues but by far not as bad as many I have seen but more than the owner wanted part of.  Most damage was inside covered panels and cutting access holes along with the rust was the manner to make the fix.   This is and  continues to be a most fun build so far.   Like your Plodge...looks clean and neat for sure, take care of it...they don't make them anymore...? 

We get rust just as bad as anywhere else, our saving grace is that salt is not used on roads in Australia but cars that live close to the coast get a much worse case of rust than those living inland..........re the Morris van, my sister bought a Morris Minor as her 1st car in the early 70's, from memory it was a late 50's one, a 4dr and was full of rust, my brother & I had a go at rust repairs but even we decided that it was past it and we convinced her to sell it and get something else............Plymouthy, that Van you have is a fairly rare item here in Oz..........andyd   

rare and getting rarer Andy....this one hails from New Zealand...been in the US about 20 years now...they are very uncommon in my neck of the woods, the man I got it from has one more in his inventory and he is keeping it along with the Morris Pickup he has.  There was one recently advertised in Atlanta, rough, all around and one in Tenn.  So that is four I am familiar with.  Am sure there are more as with these old mopars, not all have been dug out of barns, fields and junkyards.  My friend is currently building that 'lil truck now.  Will be a bit from stock in a number of ways but will still be unique for a certainty 

Tod...........was this directed at me?.............all I was doing was advising the member of what parts from another mopar would fit his car and then, that there were a number of these items available under the different make to his vehicle on US ebay........none of these for sale listings I have any connection to, with me being in Australia........I can't see what I have done wrong in trying to assist this member...........Andy Douglas  

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Tod...........was this directed at me?

No, it was directed at a different user. Maybe I should have sent them a PM after editing their post. But it was easier for me to do a general reminder in the thread.