Fan Blade Pin Removal?

CO54

I've done a forum search with no luck.  So I can only assume that I have a factory installed water pump, that is completely shot and will need replacement.  I've removed all the fan blade bolts, there is 1 water pump mounting bolt that can't be removed until the fan is removed.  I do plan on re-using the original fan blade with a new water pump being installed.  What have folks done to remove the pictured "retaining pin" that goes through the fan and the water pump shaft?  Do new pumps have the same retaining pin option?  I've tried spraying for days and repeatedly trying to knock loose with a BFH and punch.  No movement......... If it has to be drilled it will, just worried about being able to get a clear shot with the fan rivets and blades. 

Input?

y4mwybJXmWwLG1PirluNN1mlMxpQWTn7rUhG9Edn

2 minutes ago, CO54 said:

I've done a forum search with no luck.  So I can only assume that I have a factory installed water pump, that is completely shot and will need replacement.  I've removed all the fan blade bolts, there is 1 water pump mounting bolt that can't be removed until the fan is removed.  I do plan on re-using the original fan blade with a new water pump being installed.  What have folks done to remove the pictured "retaining pin" that goes through the fan and the water pump shaft?  Do new pumps have the same retaining pin option?  I've tried spraying for days and repeatedly trying to knock loose with a BFH and punch.  No movement......... If it has to be drilled it will, just worried about being able to get a clear shot with the fan rivets and blades. 

Input?

y4mwybJXmWwLG1PirluNN1mlMxpQWTn7rUhG9Edn

That's interesting, my fan doesn't have a pin holding it in place.  This may sound dumb but did you check the other side to see if the pin shows there as well?  

Have you tried wiggling the fan to see if it would move any?

6 minutes ago, bkahler said:

That's interesting, my fan doesn't have a pin holding it in place.  This may sound dumb but did you check the other side to see if the pin shows there as well?  

Have you tried wiggling the fan to see if it would move any?

The pin does go straight through to other side of fan, with all bolts removed the fan can be locked against the vise and pulley will turn.  

Fan has no play in wiggling, however haven't struck anything but the punch on the pin.  

10 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

Nope. The pin retains the hub. 
wiggle with your favorite flavour penetrating oil. 

I"ll give it some more spray and try wiggling and working it to see if it loosens up.

Last ditch is drill it???

3 minutes ago, CO54 said:

The pin does go straight through to other side of fan, with all bolts removed the fan can be locked against the vise and pulley will turn.  

Fan has no play in wiggling, however haven't struck anything but the punch on the pin.  

I"ll give it some more spray and try wiggling and working it to see if it loosens up.

Last ditch is drill it???

No, last ditch is to file the tips of the pin down until they are flush with the hub.  Mine are ever so slightly recessed so the fan doesn't contact them when it's slid off.

1 minute ago, Tooljunkie said:

Drive a thin wedge shaped object between engine side of fan and hub. 

When you say hub you are talking about between pulley and fan correct?

Doesn't that create the possibility of warping the fan blade assembly?

Heat is another option after I get more MAP gas for the the quick blue torch. 

4 minutes ago, bkahler said:

No, last ditch is to file the tips of the pin down until they are flush with the hub.  Mine are ever so slightly recessed so the fan doesn't contact them when it's slid off.

The tips of pin are already below the outside of the fan assembly.

3 minutes ago, bkahler said:

If that's the case then you just need to spray and wiggle, spray and wiggle.  Get one of your kids to do it, that ought to keep one of em busy!

Great idea!!!! They don't go back to school till Wednesday. 

Where you see that pin is part of the fan hub that is part of the water pump. Do not mess with that pin unless you wish to disassemble the pump. Rust is probably making the fan tight onto the hub. A bit of penetrating oil and a little wiggling and it should come off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Where you see that pin is part of the fan hub that is part of the water pump. Do not mess with that pin unless you wish to disassemble the pump. Rust is probably making the fan tight onto the hub. A bit of penetrating oil and a little wiggling and it should come off. 

The pin is obviously going through the fan into the pump shaft, then out to the fan again.  Looking at the internal condition of the pump, it's scrap.  I only want the fan to use again moving forward.  If oil and wiggling don't loosen the pin and it finally comes to drilling, could a small cotter pin work in place of a pin, or would it cause too much vibration?

I'm also assuming that replacement water pumps have a hole in the shaft for the fan hub. 

Actually the hub is part of the water pump.  When you buy a new water pump it comes with the hub.  

Are you thinking the hub is part of the fan and you're trying to remove it from the 1/2" diameter shaft?  Here's a picture of what you're end up with when the fan is removed.

FAN-BLADE-Early-Mopar-flathead-Dodge-Plymouth-_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bkahler said:

Actually the hub is part of the water pump.  When you buy a new water pump it comes with the hub.  

Are you thinking the hub is part of the fan and you're trying to remove it from the 1/2" diameter shaft?  Here's a picture of what you're end up with when the fan is removed.

FAN-BLADE-Early-Mopar-flathead-Dodge-Plymouth-_1.jpg

Yes, I was thinking the hub with the pin was part of the fan assembly on the 1/2" shaft.  This pic helps, now for liberal spraying and kids wiggling.......

The fan will slide over it, and simply be bolted to the pulley when re-installed on the new pump?

If that's the case, I'm still gonna have to fight the hub to get the pulley off and reuse it. 

Edited by CO54
typo

Bud light is a good lubricant...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Haha 3