STILL IN CRATE 230 FLATHEAD SIX ENGINE IDENTIFICATION

I can hardly believe I found this engine advertised on Craigslist. It was in the back of a service station brand new still in crate from Chrysler listed as military surplus. The fellow who sold it to me said his dad bought back in the 1960s? This Mopar flat-head 230 turns over easily, complete with manifolds, carburetor, distributor, water pump, generator, starter, flywheel, and bell housing. I had been looking for a good core for rebuilding in case the one in my 39 PT81 ever failed catastrophically. It's doubtful I will need it, but I couldn't pass this up for $1500. If I could identify what this was intended to fit, I might sell the NOS parts that will not fit my truck. I must admit, it almost breaks my heart to this. I imagine it may have been intended for Dodge Power Wagons of some sort? I think these engines were used in some pretty big military vehicles?

T2I4SR-4488   Not sure if the I is a one or a capital i ? Looks like a capital i in photo. Anyone have any way of identifying what this would have been installed in?

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2227.JPG

DSCN2433.JPG

DSCN2434.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WC-51, WC-52, WC-53, WC-54, WC-55, WC-56, WC-57, WC-58, WC-59, WC-60, WC-61, WC-64              1942-1945 

also good news its listed as a 230

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ed! Makes me want to buy a WC to go with this engine. I imagine the later replacement engines for these trucks were all 230s? I believe the original engines in the 42-45s would have been 201s or 218s? I knew this engine would fit in my truck because it was the shorter version at 23 inch long. I think the Mopar flat heads with larger displacements up to 265hp had 25 inch long blocks?

Thanks for the information

55 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Thanks Ed! Makes me want to buy a WC to go with this engine. I imagine the later replacement engines for these trucks were all 230s? I believe the original engines in the 42-45s would have been 201s or 218s? I knew this engine would fit in my truck because it was the shorter version at 23 inch long. I think the Mopar flat heads with larger displacements up to 265hp had 25 inch long blocks?

Thanks for the information

not sure what the military stuff had. Now if you're going shopping my recommendation would be a command car. 

1 hour ago, minicooper said:

That is amazing! Makes one wonder how many of those are still out there, all crated up - like that scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark where there's a giant govt warehouse full of crated flatheads...

-Roland

dun da dun DA, dun da dun, dun da da DA!

1__yLPwLk129MAHJnZjMHidw.jpeg

images.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks to be an interesting engine.  I have never seen carb inlet or a water outlet like those. 

T214 is for 1942-45 but SR has me intrigued. Wander if its for something else Dodge supplied engine to.

I understand how NOS engines can be a bit confusing. Mine had no engine number.

DSC04864.JPG.6157b3e91729767d85c90e17714f78f2.JPG 

My block on FEF has no number either.  Likely a replacement block/engine.  But I also know in his first life he was in an accident and things got repaired.

• 3 weeks later...

Truck as stated,sealed oil fill tube, pcv from valve galley to intake, carb fitting for snorkel?  To bad the dist is covered. Is it a water proffed one? Some of these were set up for short bursts of submerged running, they would carry on as long as the snorkel was still sucking air.  Slotted for driving up the beach from a lcv during amphib landings and for fording rivers and streams after bridges were blown by retreating enemy.

Note the air intake at the top of the wind screen.

IMG_0517-1.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I can hardly believe I found this engine advertised on Craigslist. It was in the back of a service station brand new still in crate from Chrysler listed as military surplus. The fellow who sold it to me said his dad bought back in the 1960s? This Mopar flat-head 230 turns over easily, complete with manifolds, carburetor, distributor, water pump, generator, starter, flywheel, and bell housing. I had been looking for a good core for rebuilding in case the one in my 39 PT81 ever failed catastrophically. It's doubtful I will need it, but I couldn't pass this up for $1500. If I could identify what this was intended to fit, I might sell the NOS parts that will not fit my truck. I must admit, it almost breaks my heart to this. I imagine it may have been intended for Dodge Power Wagons of some sort? I think these engines were used in some pretty big military vehicles?

T2I4SR-4488   Not sure if the I is a one or a capital i ? Looks like a capital i in photo. Anyone have any way of identifying what this would have been installed in?

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2227.JPG

DSCN2433.JPG

DSCN2434.JPG

Did this engine find its way into a WC?

The red tag on the gen is 12 v. Don't know when millitary went to 12v, but it suggests 56 or newer, I'd it not a military rebuiild. There was a bunch of military 230 crate motors on the market a few years back.  Ther were surpluses my Israel's  forces.

9 hours ago, greg g said:

The red tag on the gen is 12 v. Don't know when millitary went to 12v, but it suggests 56 or newer, I'd it not a military rebuiild. There was a bunch of military 230 crate motors on the market a few years back.  Ther were surpluses my Israel's  forces.

Isn't that backwards? Red 6v green 12v? Not sure what color the military 24vstuff is