Introduction

DJK

Just purchased a 52 Plymouth 4 dr. purrs like a kitten, amateur paint job, but it is complete and drives. Will need to go thru the brake system, engine leaks oil(front and rear crank seals) and the clutch engages way high(there is free play at the top). Will be looking for lots of advice on parts and procedures. Just ordered a repair manual and have been searching Hemmings for parts venders. Just want to get it mechanically sound for now, down the road may do interior and exterior upgrade. Thanks for any help in advance. PS I am located in Rome, Pa.

• Like 1

Welcome to the community! You will find many experienced MoPar resources on this forum that can most likely answer any questions you have. Below is a file of over 70 bookmarks for parts sources I have accumulated over the past year as I have put my '48 Plymouth back on the road. The links at the top of the list are the most commonly used parts suppliers, as you work down the list the links become more specific. Some of these bookmarks are specific to my car but most are generic for old MoPars. Hope this helps.

P15-parts-bookmarks.rtf

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Welcome!  You will indeed find much sage advice, information, and especially inspiration in these pages.  Just about any challenge you come across will have been met and figured out by someone herein, and if you figure something out that hasn't been touched on, then certainly let us know.  We really like to follow members' progress, too, so don't hesitate to post success stories, or just good ol' having fun with the Plymouth stuff - photos are always encouraged. 

Thanks guys, I will get some pictures soon. Just going through some of the post on certain repairs has given me some very good tips to be aware of. Been a Nissan Technician for 45 yrs., this is a whole different ball game.

• Haha 1

WELCOME

and have fun with your 1952 Plymouth, it a time warps, so must fun to maintain & drive, ( waiting for spring)..  this is the best site for tons of knowledge,,  

Welcome to the forum.  You picked a great car...I have a '52 too!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.   The answers are here.

A service manual is a must-have, preferably an original because sometimes the repros don't have clear pictures.  A parts book can't hurt, either.  eBay is your friend.   The factory issued service manuals covering a range of years, so the one you should look for is the '46-'52 edition.  Other editions  (like '46-'51 and '46-'54) are also useful, but may vary on year-specific items.

Like the owners' manual says...'good going in your new Plymouth'

You found the World Wide Headquarters for old Mopars. All the help and guidance you'll ever need is here.  Welcome. 

I know we'd really enjoy seeing a few pics of your car. If you need help on how to upload a pic to share, we do that too. - K

• Like 1

Welcome aboard..!

Is your new 1952  Plymouth a Cambridge or a Cranbrook?

Cranbrook being the upper line four door model.

31 minutes ago, DJK said:

I ordered the Detroit Iron 46-54 repair manual from Rock Auto, hope its OK. There was an original on ebay 46-52 for $47, just concerned about its condition after 70 yrs.?????!!!! Newbie in training!

This is the one you want:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Shop-Manual-1946-1947-1948-1949-1950-1951-1952-1953-1954-Repair-Service/401179605952?hash=item5d682afbc0:g:pvoAAMXQAx9RMNYu

s-l400.jpg

1 hour ago, DJK said:

Thanks guys. There were 2 emblems in the trunk, one is broke, Cranbrook, so I assume that is what it is. How else do you identify the different models?

The Cranbrook was the high-line model.  The biggest identifiers would be stainless steel trim around the windshield and a horn ring.  The Cambridge (low-line) has rubber around the windshield and a horn button.

7 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Seems to me that the Cranbrook had the better heater as well. 

To my knowledge, you could get the better heater in both the Cambridge and Cranbrook.  My father had a '52 Cambridge (bought new) with the better heater factory-installed.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:13 AM, JerseyHarold said:

To my knowledge, you could get the better heater in both the Cambridge and Cranbrook.  My father had a '52 Cambridge (bought new) with the better heater factory-installed.

Can't disagree, just read it somewhere that the Cranbrook got the better heater as standard equip.