installing headliner

harmony

I'm curious what the piece of metal plate is that is screwed to the B pillar and across the top of the door, stopping just around the top of the windshield, on this 47 Chrysler Royal in the attached picture?  I'm preparing for the installation of the headliner and I've watched a few videos.  The tack strips are still in place an  I'll be ordering a headliner and windlace, probably from WLS Headliners. But I haven't found a video where a 1/2" round windlace is used around the doors.  In the videos I watched there is always metal trim holding the headliner in place around the doors.  That procedure makes sense as does the front and back window since all the staples are hidden with the inner window metal trim pieces.  Unfortunately the car arrived with the interior completely gutted or I would have something to go by. Does anyone have a link that shows how it's done?  

I mean I can see how one would staple on the windlace to the tack strips and then tuck in the sail strip of the headliner that goes down the B pillar and screw that piece in place securing the forward edge of the sail strip section of the headliner, then pulling it tight and using adhesive to secure it to the forward framework of the back side window, then screwing in the inner window trim piece.  That would make sense because it's all accessible.  But once the headliner is in place with the bows you can't access the screws on these metal strips.  ???? 

b pillar strip.jpg

b pillar fwd strip.jpg

1 hour ago, D Cienega said:

FYI, I did not install my Headliner , just took a few pic.

Just what I wanted to see.  Thank you.  Now that I know that there is a saw tooth in there it makes sense.  The strips on this car are kinda beat up a bit so I'll take them out and set a nice straight edge and make sure I get all the rust off and maybe prime them.  

Thanks again :)

I installed a WLS headliner 2 1/2 years ago.  Here's my thread, search "WLS headliner" and you will fine a lot of information.

Additionally, I replaced all of the wires and added and 8 or 10 guage extra wire on the passenger size for future 12 guage accessories.

11 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

I installed a WLS headliner 2 1/2 years ago.  Here's my thread, search "WLS headliner" and you will fine a lot of information.

Additionally, I replaced all of the wires and added and 8 or 10 guage extra wire on the passenger size for future 12 guage accessories.

Thank you and yes I believe I did find this thread before I posted mine/

I did an on line check out, so to say, at WLS Headliner for the headliner and 20 feet of windlace .  I also did the same thing for Newstalgia Parts and  they were about $100.00 more than WLS.  I'm curious why?  WLS say they use polyester and Newstalgia say they use Vinyl.  For this particular car I think I would prefer vinyl as I think it would be easier to clean and it would have better mold resistance. 

Any thoughts? 

Also I'm looking for the headliner rod rubber grommets (12).  Does anyone know where I can get them?  Steel rubber and Roberts don't show listings for those grommets. If I could find some soft rubber I might be able to make them.

25 minutes ago, harmony said:

Thank you and yes I believe I did find this thread before I posted mine/

Do you remember the particular colour or code for the windlace that you used? That's exactly the one I'm looking for.

Just remember that if you are planning to put in a new wiring harness, you will have to remove the headliner as all the wires that go to the back of the car go up the A pillar and over left side of the roof toward the back of the car.  So put in the new wiring harness before putting the headliner.  

On 1/4/2020 at 8:55 PM, D Cienega said:

Have you tried Restoration Specialties & Supply Co. for your headliner rod  grommets? 1814 467-9842

Or Obsolete Parts 1706 337-4606 
I forgot which company I used but I took a picture of my old grommet on a tape measure and they found me some .

Thanks, I just checked out Restoration Specialties and found a few grommets that might work.  I'll take some measurements from one of the old ones.