Spicer differential yoke

bkahler

I'm trying to find out if this particular Spicer yoke had a grease seal & cap on the tail end to keep the grease captured.  So far I've not found any pictures showing a seal & cap.  I would find it odd if there wasn't one there originally.

Anyone have Spicer yoke like this one they can check?

Thanks!

Brad

20200102_170414x.jpg

20200102_170423x.jpg

16 minutes ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

freeze plug, just do it.  Charlie Stephenson

I think you might be referring to the u-joint end.  I'm referring to the splined end.  I'm used to seeing a felt seal and some sort of threaded metal retainer to keep the grease in and dirt out.

This yoke isn't threaded so I'm a little confused.

Here's a yoke installed on a Fluid Drive...I looked in the parts manual the other day and noticed that the Spicer 1/2-ton yokes were the same for B-2, B-3 and B-4...it uses an unthreaded cap with tangs located every 90° that bend over the yoke lip...I suppose if ya found a tin can with a similar ID, ya might could fab your own retainer for that felt washer...or just a lid from a pickle jar that can be blacksmithed using the yoke as the form the sheet metal...now I'm thinking about all the different adult beverage containers  that I've seen used to patch up leaky tailpipes...anyway, being creative here might save ya some time trying to locate an original if none are available off the shelf  :cool:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

Here's a yoke installed on a Fluid Drive...I looked in the parts manual the other day and noticed that the Spicer 1/2-ton yokes were the same for B-2, B-3 and B-4...it uses an unthreaded cap with tangs located every 90° that bend over the yoke lip...I suppose if ya found a tin can with a similar ID, ya might could fab your own retainer for that felt washer...or just a lid from a pickle jar that can be blacksmithed using the yoke as the form the sheet metal...now I'm thinking about all the different adult beverage containers  that I've seen used to patch up leaky tailpipes...anyway, being creative here might save ya some time trying to locate an original if none are available off the shelf  :cool:

Bend over tabs makes sense.  Did you use see the cap in the parts manual?  If so I guess I didn't look hard enough.

I'm sure I can get creative enough to make a cap although I think beverage cans are probably a little to large in diameter!  The splines themselves are 1-1/4" so figure another 1/2" to match the diameter of the yoke, 1-3/4".  

Dang, now I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend looking at old cans ?

Thanks!

Brad

Here's a Cleveland out of a 1/2 ton truck with the 4 tang grease cap retainer out of a 50 Dodge panel

Dodge Tr Cleveland U joints (2).JPG

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Here's a Cleveland out of a 1/2 ton truck with the 4 tang grease cap retainer out of a 50 Dodge panel

Dodge Tr Cleveland U joints (2).JPG

Thanks! Great picture.  

Not to figure out what beverage can best approximates that profile ?

Looks promising...

Otherwise, for beverage containers, I would look at canned sake. The cans are small and sometimes made from steel too. There's a restaurant out here that serves what might be the perfect can... #4 below.

Kokko.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

Looks promising...

Otherwise, for beverage containers, I would look at canned sake. The cans are small and sometimes made from steel too. There's a restaurant out here that serves what might be the perfect can... #4 below.

Kokko.jpg

? ?

California is a long way to go just for a dust cap!

• Like 1