Made a new tool for my 67 B'cuda rebuild

Bobacuda

Before I show the project, I should make it clear that the last time I welded anything was with a stick, "Lincoln tombstone" welder about 50 yrs ago (where does the time go...?).  I have removed the B'cuda k-member (and the rear suspension) and I wanted some way to get the front suspension off the ground for rebuilding.  The concept evolved into something strong enough to hold the engine and trans so it can be rolled underneath and the k-member (along with the engine and trans) mounted to the car, rather than lowering it into the car.

So, I found some other people's projects online and came up with mine.  Contrary to the other designs, mine has 4 wheels (rather than 3) since I tend to dump anything with 3 wheels on its side (specifically my 53 truck's engine first time I pulled it).  I got a Hobart 140 as a retirement gift, so I added another $300 and upgraded to a Hobart 190 at the time.  This is the first time I have used it in almost 2 years.  And, I proved I can still make some welds look like cat poop on a flat rock, some that just look like poop, and some good ones. :lol:  By the time I finished, they were all looking good.

Time to order suspension parts and get busy.

IMG_2679[1].JPG

• Like 2

If it suits the purpose you miles ahead, a jig/cradle can make a job so much easier....last jig I made was a special jig with built in gauge plate for setting the torsion bars on a small foreign vehicle...sweet part is it takes all the guess out as you can set it with the frame flipped upside down if you want as all measurement are relevant to the frame and not the floor/pavement...no need for level floor or anything as spelled out in the book/process....I spent 40 minutes making the jig....3 minutes per side to be spot on with the torsion bar per the book...this torsion bar setup is not to be confused with Mopar adjustable torsion...these are fixed position and has to be on the money....my buddy has my jig now as he is just a bit behind me in his build of the same model and will be setting his bars soon.  

14 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

So, I found some other people's projects online and came up with mine.  Contrary to the other designs, mine has 4 wheels (rather than 3) since I tend to dump anything with 3 wheels on its side (specifically my 53 truck's engine first time I pulled it). 

I have to agree, there is nothing worse than a 3 wheeled trolley. Luckily the engine I dumped on its side was a scraper. It did teach me a good lesson.

Anything I build or modify has 4 wheels.   

My wife & I had one of those one-wheel trailers that we pulled to Texas & back (from Ohio) with her Datsun, back in 84.  The advantage is that you don't have to worry about backing at all - it acts like an extension of the vehicle.  But it does some crazy stuff when a semi passes you at speed.  (Ours had an enclosed box on it, flat sides.)  I don't think I've seen one any place since then.