Leaf spring problems

Hey!

so i started on my front end, 51 Fargo F01 1/2 ton. 
front springs. Rear eyelets are worn, the threaded sleeves are worn. Looking for replacements and finding nothing. 
my present plan is to have springs made,larger eyelets to accept larger bushings and to build rear shackles to carry a frame bushing as well. Seems cost will be similar if i find oe type parts or upgrade to some rubber in  suspension

your opinion and or suggestions greatly appreciated. 
thanks in advance. 

My plan is to have a new pair made,reversed eylets and new urethane bushings installed. Then a  new rear hanger/shackle fabricated with another urethane bushing in that. To do away with the oddly threaded parts. It will be similar to the front  suspension On my power wagon. 
downward curl on eyelets will lower it some, and the new front spring mounts will also be lowered. 
also will be boxing sections of frame to stiffen it as well as another cross brace at front spring mounts. 

Thanks for the link!If my springs werent worn through so bad i would consider it. $250 in parts without springs by pricing it. In US dollars plus shipping puts me near the $500 mark. I think i can come out spending less and have a little quieter ride. 

• Haha 1

My buddy was swapping the springs out. I asked him to buff off the rust,again he ignores my request. I just want to do the whole works myself. 
rad support bracket is fixed,ready to put sheet metal back. 

will take some detailed photos when i get it back in shop. 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:53 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

I have found that the stock spring packs on my 3/4 ton provide a very good quality ride. One thing that really helps with this is to spray the spring packs down with PB Blaster Corrosion guard. Makes a huge difference to have springs that move like they should.

Jeff

I used an old paint brush and lightly coated all sides of the spring packs with some used oil. It did improve the ride and after about 100 miles rusty oil was weaping out between the springs cleaned up fairly easy.

2 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I used an old paint brush and lightly coated all sides of the spring packs with some used oil. It did improve the ride and after about 100 miles rusty oil was weaping out between the springs cleaned up fairly easy.

Yes that would work too. I really like the PB stuff. It seems to form a film and does not attract dirt. Stays on good and does not wash off easily. Aerosol application is easy too.

Jeff

Many English cars back in the day had leather coverings for leaf springs.  As a matter of fact there is still a company in England making rubber covers for various cars.  

I would think if a person was ambitious enough he could make his own leather coverings.  I've toyed with the idea for some of my cars over the years but never got ambitious enough to actually do it :)

I don't really like the idea of spring covers. Seems like a good place for moisture and rust to start.....

This spray I have used on my daily driver is a corrosion inhibitor. It looks clean and works well. My truck lives outside and I have over 20,000 miles on it since I put it together.

Jeff

• Like 2

Brad;

I am more than slightly acquainted with the way this sort of stuff works. It was probably a viable option / solution back in the day. Very popular on some Brit stuff. But then they didn't have some of the products we have at our disposal these days. Modern corrosion inhibitors are light years beyond that technology.......even the cheap stuff that PB Blaster makes. Trust me an application every couple of years will protect much better than gaiters. And best of all no nasty secrets hiding under the covers......?

Jeff

4 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Brad;

I am more than slightly acquainted with the way this sort of stuff works. It was probably a viable option / solution back in the day. Very popular on some Brit stuff. But then they didn't have some of the products we have at our disposal these days. Modern corrosion inhibitors are light years beyond that technology.......even the cheap stuff that PB Blaster makes. Trust me an application every couple of years will protect much better than gaiters. And best of all no nasty secrets hiding under the covers......?

Jeff

Jeff,

I actually took a slightly different tact.  I painted each leaf with Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint and then painted them with his Chassis Black paint.  After that I drilled the end of the 2nd from top leaf on each end and inserted a plastic button as used on modern leaf springs.  I have no idea if that's a good combination but it was the best I could come up with 20 years ago!

I'm not sure how many drill bits I ruined drilling through those springs but I know the hardware store owner was always happy to see me :)

Brad

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

I don't really like the idea of spring covers. Seems like a good place for moisture and rust to start.....

This spray I have used on my daily driver is a corrosion inhibitor. It looks clean and works well. My truck lives outside and I have over 20,000 miles on it since I put it together.

Jeff

It seems to me that if properly maintained, kept full of grease as intended, it would prevent the entrance of moisture.  The presence of grease and absence of water would be a great rust preventative.  the leaves were actually bathed in grease.  Speaking of the Mopar metal covers here, not leather or rubber.

Down side, as I recall it from my early teens, they were hard to grease properly and were always messy.  One had to hold the grease gun nozzle really firmly against a hole in the wrap and pump the grease in.  No zerk, just a hole in the wrap, one in front and one behind the axle.  The wrap would begin to bulge when you got enough grease in then wipe off the excess.   But after a short drive grease would be coming back out due to the spring action.  Of course, no one ever went back in a few days and wiped that off, thus the mess.

I always look for practical solutions for maintenance type issues. The one I have come up with here works well and is easy and inexpensive. I didn't even take my spring packs apart. I simply cleaned up the visible parts and spray painted them. When I got it ready to go back on the road I sprayed them down with Corrosion guard. I have done a couple of additional applications in the past 5 years. It is simple, works well and there is no greasy mess. Try it you will like it.

Jeff

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobK said:

Speaking of leaf springs......The Eaton-Detroit Springs website has lots of info on the proper way to paint, lube (you really shouldn't), and remove leaves.

A person could  get lost on that site!  The tech stuff and Q&A from customers is really informative.   Not much I hadn't heard before but all gathered up in one resource.  And more spring rate and sizing info than I could absorb in one read.