Dark blue windlace

casper50

restoration specialties   easy to find on the internet under that name, online catalog...AND as I always point out, if it is not on e-bay you may have a problem, while I also say you don't have to buy from the folks selling there, their product listing will tell you what is available......that is a big plus for at least you know you not chasing a unicorn..it is a quick find, only three words and boom many returns.....if  your trimmer cannot find it, he just don't really want to....may be he wishes to sew his own for you, many trimmers do that....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

can't believe that, three easy words,                   windlace, dark blue 

could it be that what you are looking for is not truly windlace?  and goes by another name.....as you are in Alaska, this may be an IMPORT item.....lol

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=windlace%2C+dark+blue&_sacat=0

In the good old days your upholster made their own.

There is a sewing machine foot which funneled a cord of the appropriate size and a strip of the desired material under the needle and sewed them together.

Of course you could buy a roll already made but if you had a unique color you made it yourself.

You are limited in length to the width of the material but I have seen two strips sewn together (on a 45) to make a longer continuous piece.

Most Upholstery shops use a machine like a Consew 206rb which is a copy of a Singer so the feet are plentiful.

On eBay a "Welting/Cording foot" is $9 or $10. You will need to know the size of the cording you're going to use.

The cord is available at Joanne's in most cities (and you might find the foot there as well).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casper50 said:

that one on ebay is a medium blue.  Won't match my seats.

the ONE...there are quite a few different shades of blue on that search list from dark to light, but as the colors you or your trimmer chose for the interior, hopefully he is on that will/can also sew his own lacing from the remnants of your fabric...this is always a question prior to any ordering of materials at the trimmer I frequent.

you keep say the ONE (1) I posted and that is my stumbling block on your replies.......I posted a search link to many and there are some very dark blues in the search......further, places that sell premade windlace usually have but a sole source and they have a display chart of their various colors available, also in the link I posted.  If there is nothing suitable there it is very likely your trimmer will have to make your product from the remnant of your interior fabric.  Sorry the link is not helpful....do not waste your time with the other company as this is what they will sell also as I have dealt with these folks many times and seen their very stock.

Well...SMS will make it if you think there is no other choice...one year and hundreds of dollars later.

Casper..........can you post a pic of the upholstery colour you want the windlace to match.........my Dodge upholstery was done by my mother in 1974/75, she was a seamstress and had an industrial sewing maching at home and although she had never done upholstery we gave it a go and the windlace was made by her using extra vinyl over round rubber that I'd sourced at the local rubber shop........must have done a good job as its still there 45 yrs later, took this pic when I was redoing the carpet and sound deadening 15mths ago.............lol..........hey she even let me, her bright eyed, bushy tailed 20 yr old son have a go doing the kick panels..........didn't sew my fingers together but I retain a new found respect for sewing machinists.........thanks Mum...........anyway can you post a pic of the colour you need?.............Andy Douglas 

P1010264.JPG

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the seams are almost unavoidable.  stitched right they would not be that noticeable 

I assume that you know this, but will say it anyway - they would piece it together the same way a neck tie is sewn, at an angle.  That prevents the fabric from bunching up at the seam.  Like I said, I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious.

Edited by Eneto-55

55 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

I assume that you know this, but will say it anyway - they would piece it together the same way a neck tie is sewn, at an angle.  That prevents the fabric from bunching up at the seam.  Like I said, I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious.

yes....that is also the described procedure in most any book on upholstery...but it is good you said this, many may not know that...

I am not up to speed with my sewing on the walking foot machines, I have few special attachments and have practiced a number of techniques and such....wish I had more experience....maybe in time yet....little here, little there.    I want to slow my machine down as the thing runs at warp speed....mach 1 would be nice....