Trying to ID this dodge.

Somethingski

Hi all, 

Ive posted this an the other forum and it was suggested i try here as well.

Im trying to id the dodge that is attached in the photos. I have tried countless hours on google images but with no luck. The hardest part (for me) is the single grill, most i can find have three.

Hoping someone here can identify the model and or year. I cant access the truck in the near future but have taken more photos. I was reluctant to open the hood and search for any plaques (i figured id be able to find it on google). Hopingn some one can narrow my search down to a year or give me links to where i can find more information.

My best guess is 1953 or 1954.

The truck is located in Sydney, Australia

Thanks so much

20191226_135736.jpg

1577759037745_1577759002307_20191226_135733.jpg

Here are the only photos i have been able to find with the single bar at the front. 3 out of the 4 indicate a 1954, the other a 1953 hence where my guess has come from.

Any information would be most helpful, or if your able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much

ebay_201722770445_1.jpg

$_20.JPG.jpg

7960580818_dee22e56d3_b.jpg

8181223671_f700d07865_b.jpg

That is an Australian 1958-59 Dodge. Hard to say what model without seeing the rest of the truck or the tags that will be on the firewall inside the engine bay. Probably on the right hand side (passengers side) looking from the front of the truck.

Will have 250 cu" flathead. Peddles will be hangers with the master cylinders on the firewall instead of through the floor seen on earlier Australian and US models.

Follow the link for a brief history on Australian trucks.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/garage/garage.htm

This link is to a brochure of that model.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/garage/5859Dodge/index.html

Tony

Hang on I just had a second look at your pics and something is not right.

The bonnet having the chrome bar is earlier than 58, yet the single bar grill is 58.

The tag info would be handy. This might be an late 57 early 58 cross-over or the truck was in an accident requiring a grill change.

Interesting. 

Tony

Ill delete the post in the car section (i didnt realise)

Thanks so  much, i didnt look that late (58-59) but the brochure helps!

I was hesitant to get under the hood to the tag, wasnt much room to move around. 

Here are another 2 pictures showing the front, it was a "tray back" as opposed to a ute if that helps. Thanks again for the information.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Tray back does not help much.

Do you know if it has duel rear tyres?

Is it possible to see the side of the front guards? Single piece guards it could be 108E or 226D. Two piece guard makes it a larger model.

With there being a mis-match on the front grill the tag info will be the only real way to tell.

Tony

Has single rear tyres.

The photo i have is not great but does show single piece guard.

Looking at the brochure 108E is the express? 226d is the heavier duty version (on the same page as the 2.33?). If its between those two im guessing id need tomeasure the wheel base (which im unable to for a few months).

Have also added an interior pic, although i dont think that will help much.

Thank you so much for the help

SmartSelect_20191231-155929_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191231-160446_Gallery.jpg

Hi Tony,

Theres two photos below, they are the same photo ive just zoomed in on the second one to try show the peddles better. Its the best photo i took of the peddles. It would appear (from the photos i dont have any recollection) they they go down through the floor. Not sure what that means though, hopefully you can let me know!

Thanks again for helping me, ill probably be picking your brain when i get this truck up to me!

SmartSelect_20191231-201644_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191231-201743_Gallery.jpg

Ok looking at the peddles, hand brake on the right, ignition switch and the bonnet with the top chrome bar you have a 108CD or 108DD. They were made from August 1955 through to July 58. (I have production numbers somewhere).

With a tare weight of 1 ton 14 cwt (1-14-0 or 3808 lbs) with a 15cwt (1680 lbs) load capacity you end up with 2 ton 9 cwt (2-9-0 or 5488 lbs).  That's a bit high as this model should have GVM of 5250 lbs.

This model should have a two bar grill so it looks like the grill has been changed for some reason.

Another thing that is wrong is the clutch peddle. The brake peddle is the correct type.

Engine should be a 250cu" with a KEW 2B prefix on the engine number.

It will be interesting to see what the ID plate says when you gey it home

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Thank you so much for the information. Its starting to make some sense to me. Ive been reading through the brochures but im unable to find a reference to 108CD or 108DD, could you please explain that to me?

The numbers on the side now make sense (thanks again) so i guess all thats left is to look at the ID plate to work out exactly what it is.

Im trying to prepare as much as i can before i get it up here (Im in Brisbane), ive downloaded the workshop truck manual. Is there anything else i should try and get my hands on before starting to restore?

Also another final question (that most people on here can probably help me with), ill need to get it from sydney to brisbane (1000km/620miles) and remove from the shed that its in. Im assuming ill be able to hire a car trailer that has a winch (?!) and pull it out? The tires (undersandably are flat) may pose an issue. Is it worth sourcing new tires and putting them on so i can at least roll it out? Any help, links or information is more than welcome. Ive never really done anything like this before but am excited to get started!

Thanks again for this information, i was really starting to get stuck prioir to finding this forum.

I don't know that I'd buy new tires just yet, you'd be better off finding some discards and using them until you know more about the truck.  The other thing is don't be surprised if it doesn't roll, even with new tires.  If it's been sitting long enough it's entirely possible the shoes are stuck to the drums.  If that happens you've got a whole different can of worms to deal with.

Good luck!  I'll be following along on your little adventure :)

Brad

Fair comments! Didnt even contemplate the shoes being stuck to the drums!

If that has happened whats the best course of action?

Truck has been sitting since 1970 when it was last driven (forwards) into a shed. Once its on a trailer (which sounds like it could be difficult) is it better to travel with the truck facing forwards or back wards? Or realistically it doesnt matter? (my bigger problem getting it on the trailer?)

Like ive mentioned trying to gather as much information as a can before removing the truck and bringing it home. I wont be seeing the truck again prior to removing it. Need to have contingnecy plans! If i plan for the worst case (brakes being seized) it can only get better!

1 hour ago, Somethingski said:

Fair comments! Didnt even contemplate the shoes being stuck to the drums!

If you get a trailer with a winch you have a good chance of getting it loaded even with frozen drums. 

If that has happened whats the best course of action?

You can do something like wetting the ground in front of the wheels so they will slide, things usually slide pretty good in mud!  You'll just need to get creative.  Planning ahead certainly helps.  

Truck has been sitting since 1970 when it was last driven (forwards) into a shed. Once its on a trailer (which sounds like it could be difficult) is it better to travel with the truck facing forwards or back wards? Or realistically it doesnt matter? (my bigger problem getting it on the trailer?)

If I was a betting man I'd bet the wheels won't turn :(

Typically you want more weight on the front half of the trailer so loading engine first is usually best.  However I've hauled similar vehicles loaded tail first and survived to talk about it.  If you get a long enough trailer it won't matter as you can center the load as needed.

Like ive mentioned trying to gather as much information as a can before removing the truck and bringing it home. I wont be seeing the truck again prior to removing it. Need to have contingnecy plans! If i plan for the worst case (brakes being seized) it can only get better!

Yep, plan for the worst case and be pleasantly surprised when things are easier than anticipated.  

Looking forward to your trip :)

Brad

OK,

Take a small air compressor to pump up the tires. You will get away with a cheap 12 volt one.

I have had 70 year old tyres hold air long enough to get them on a trailer. Don`t forget the truck spare. If one on the truck is not staying up the spare might come in handy. These trucks have left and right hand wheel bolts, so beware.

Check the handbrake ring (back of gearbox) These can be a bit sticky. You can undo the ring if the cable has seized.

You might be lucky. Being inside the whole time it might not take much to move. Then again.....

Load on trailer nose first them move around to get balance right. I like about 50kg on the towball.

What sort of tow vehicle are you going to use. There is going to be 2,500 kg of truck and trailer behind you.

Look into trailer hire. Some companies have a lot of restrictions on there use. Max weight, distance travelled, one way, two way and more.

Look into getting it move professionally. You will still have to prep it for moving but taking all things into account it might be a better way.

just a few thoughts for now.

Tony    

Thanks for all the thoughts and replies.

Ill have a look into all of the above, trailer hire with winch and professional removal.

Ill have to purchase a 12v inflator and will take that with me as well.

Tow vehicle wont be a problem i have a late model Ram.

This all has been very thought provocing and appreciate the knowledge and replies. Like i mentioned prior to here i was heading into dead ends with my enquiries.

Still few months away so ill keep researching and enquiring. 

Thanks again

Somethingski.....when are you bringing it up from Sydney......I'm in Grafton, 1km off the Pacific Highway..........if you want to break the trip or have a cuppa on the way let me know, always happy to talk mopar......call anytime...........6642 5963......Andy Douglas 

Wont be bringing it up till mid July. Was down there over Xmas to see the state it was in and get some photos. 

Im thinking i may need some professional help to restore, my lists of concerns are growing!

As Tony mentioned may also need to consider getting it professionally removed. Im happy to drive it back (my car at that stage will be in Sydney anyway) just the loading may cause issue (and i have very limited time down there to organise).

Im sure ill have more questions over the next months, and as always any tips and tricks most welcome!

I had the 41 Plymouth I bought in Adelaide picked up and delivered to my door in South Grafton in 4 days by Allens Unique Car Carriers, they picked up on time and delivered on time via an enclosed semi trailer, cost was just under $2000, however I worked out that it would have cost me that in fuel, trailer hire, accommodation, was unregistered so needed to get a permit to move thru 3 states.........lol, etc, etc.....admittedly the car was driveable so that made a difference........the accommodation and/or coffee offer is for whenever.........lol..........andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

Awesome.

Thanks for the info gents, ill get on facebook and check it out.

Looked at the car carrier you have suggested, i think the probelm is the rolling part! Ill keep looking, some one im sure will be able to help.

One thing i also didnt consider and will need to look into is the permit situation for moving the truck up here.

Good stuff gents, lots of hings to check out in the coming months!

Cheers

The Permit thing I mentioned was that the 41 Plymouth I bought was "club" or Vintage car registered in Adelaide so when I bought it the number plates had been handed in and it was technically unregistered so in order for me to say, fly down and drive it home I would have had to obtain at the minimium a "permit to move" thru South Australia, then another thru Victoria and a third thru New South Wales to me here in Grafton......plus insurance, accommodation and fuel, etc, etc........and thats assuming that it was in a fit condition to make the 2500 km trip....which it turned out it wasn't..........lol.....it made the trip into the carriers covered trailer and out again without an issue but with both an oil and water leak, buggered seat, loose steering wheel, no horn nor lights properly connected it was a better deal to pay someone to collect it and it was also covered by their insurance rather than me trying to kick my own arse if something went wrong...............lol.......which it didn't..........if you decide to trailer it yourself there is NO need for any sort of "permit" and re registration purely relies on the relevant registration requirements in your state, ie , Queensland which I think so long as its basically stock then you have to comply with whatever the registration regs were for the year of the vehicle..........when I took the Plymouth to get registered it was essentially stock down to 600x16 crossplies but had been converted by a previous owner to 12 volts, and that was it.........over the period I had it I lowered it by 1 cut coil in front, 2" blocks on the rear, chrome 6" and 7" rims and whitewall radials, none of which affected its passing the yearly rego check..........anyway looking forward to finding out exactly what the truck is...............andyd 

Edited by Andydodge