3 speed transmission synchronizer replacement

jpellican

Has anyone changed the synchronizer on their 3 speed transmission new process gear on B3B themselves, wondering if you were able to do this with out any special tools. checked the sight and did not see any posts on how this was done.

Thanks Joe   

If I remember correctly a really good external snap ring pliers, a large gear puller and maybe a press if you need to swap any bearings. If you are going in to do the synchro I would do a full overhaul with new small parts kit and possible bearings. 

Haven't done one in years. Maybe not that specific one ever, but all from 49 or so through 56, Dodge, Plymouth and some Chrysler are nearly identical.  From memory I think the only special tools were the snap ring tools.  Never needed a gear puller, nor did I encounter bad bearings, except for the needles in the cluster and/or the MDG/Main Shaft area.  And those two don't require special tools, just expensive parts!   When I was working on transmissions a lot, the bearings wheren't nearly as old as they are now!  The cluster needle bearings can be fussy on reinstallation.  Dad was always able to do those with just heavy grease to hold them in place.  I usually used a dummy shaft, either wood dowel or and cluster gear shaft cut to length. Not absolutely necessary but it does make us clumsy guys look better.  Instead of two or three tries with just grease I could do it in one.

Been a few years for me also. If I remember correctly you will need the puller to get the input shaft out after removing the snap ring. Also the thrust washers on the cluster gear go in a specific order. Check your manual/parts book. Grease on the needle bearing with a dummy shaft is the only way to go!