Oil Filter

bambamshere

Not sure if this has been done. I searched and didn't come up with much. So if it has delete. 

So today I went and was searching the internet for a good oil filter. What I found out is everyone seems to have there own favorite. So what I am asking you is. 

Do you have a favorite oil filter? 

What is it?

Why? 

Do you buy the cheapest filter on the market and hope nothing happens?

Here's mine from napa, made by wix. Has the restricter needed? for bypass filtration systems and  Wix is often top rated brand for filtration properties and type of construction.

What is a buck or two compared to your motor?

You are the one who installed the spin on type oil filter mount aren't you? Memory is not what it ...??

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

37 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Here's mine from napa, made by wix. Has the restricter needed? for bypass filtration systems and  Wix is often top rated brand for filtration properties and type of construction.

What is a buck or two compared to your motor?

You are the one who installed the spin on type oil filter mount aren't you? Memory is not what it ...??

DJ

Nope I have 3 engines though a Flathead 251, a 318 LA and a Hemi 354. I put wix in the 1 that are running but I am always looking for better. 

“I  deleted my bypass oil filter,and will change oil as i see fit.“. So have I. Saves me money every oil change.  Way back, Greybeard helped me rebuild my first engine. He taught auto mechanics and advised me not to keep the canister. He has been missed., 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Cant beat wix. Hastings is up there too. 
baldwin is another. 
napa gold is made by wix. 
oe mopar,

oe ford. 
i deleted my bypass oil filter,and will change oil as i see fit. 

I Agree with the brands listed.  Can't go wrong with those. 

I've also deleted the bypass from my plans.  Going full flow.  Finally got up the nerve to drill and tap the block last week.  Should be plumbing it up in January.  I really had a hard time convincing myself that a 1/4"  pipe size fitting was big enough, until I took a good look at the stock oil path.  The oil transfer pipe fitting is almost the same ID!  And another member that did the mod posted his success.

Also found one on a FB page that did similar on the other side of the engine, but still 1/4"pipe size

I may add a bypass later also.  Lots of diesels run both and it really seems to be part of the long lives they lead. 

16 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I Agree with the brands listed.  Can't go wrong with those. 

I've also deleted the bypass from my plans.  Going full flow.  Finally got up the nerve to drill and tap the block last week.  Should be plumbing it up in January.  I really had a hard time convincing myself that a 1/4"  pipe size fitting was big enough, until I took a good look at the stock oil path.  The oil transfer pipe fitting is almost the same ID!  And another member that did the mod posted his success.

Also found one on a FB page that did similar on the other side of the engine, but still 1/4"pipe size

I may add a bypass later also.  Lots of diesels run both and it really seems to be part of the long lives they lead. 

I run wix in most of my stuff but like I said I am interested to learn if anything is better and why

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

“I  deleted my bypass oil filter,and will change oil as i see fit.“. So have I. Saves me money every oil change.  Way back, Greybeard helped me rebuild my first engine. He taught auto mechanics and advised me not to keep the canister. He has been missed., 

Many good old mechanics have moved on. I wasnt fortunate enough to have a mentor in the automotive field. Many i knew were long retired.

my education was service manuals, lots of reading. 

back to the oil filter,a gallon of oil is cheap,and after i scrubbed the pan clean after it sat for 30 or 40 years i decided i would change it often. The filter housing was beat up and wouldnt seal so i made an easy decision. 

Does anyone know the filter element used in the VPW military Jr housings?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

On my By-Pass system 

I used WIX oil filters from RockAuto.  part no::

WIX 51071

the spec are for the 

Particle size retention (filtration efficiency) at 25 micron.

Media Type,, Cellulose  Micron 25.00 .

The others are , 

FRAM C134PL and 

CHAMP P7FF

but they don't mention there filtration effficiency,,  but Fram should be the same as WIX,   as for Champ brand ,, I don't realy know,,??