I'm ready to buy disc brakes and master cylinder.

48ply1stcar

I'm getting ready to hit the big buy button.  I been around for a long time and did many searches for master cylinders and disc brakes, but I haven't seen this combination.

Does anyone have the ECI master cylinder set-up with a scraebird disc kit? 

I've been contemplating this set-up for a long time and was hoping that someone has already done this.

EC-441 (1).jpg

Scarebird disc kit.jpg

Edited by 48ply1stcar
spelling / added pictures

• 48ply1stcar changed the title to I'm ready to buy disc brakes and master cylinder.

Well, finding specs was fun.  Looks like they use a 67-72 Mustang  1" bore m/c with the ECI kit, That will probably work ok with the scarebird kit but having a scarebird part number so we can go look at what's in it would be nice.

The ECI setup, if you went with both the m/c and disc swap uses 78-81 Camaro calipers, those are a 2.9" bore.  What's the scarebird caliper's bore?

ECI uses redrilled 78-81 Firebird rear rotors in their disc kit, those are 11.16" in diameter, what's the diameter of the scarebird rotors?

I bought ECI kit last month, even with custom wheels I had to grind the caliper a tad.

Master cylinder is on its way from ECI this week.

I had to put a left steering arm on the right side.

eci kit lugs.jpg

eci kit.jpg

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

Well, finding specs was fun.  Looks like they use a 67-72 Mustang  1" bore m/c with the ECI kit, That will probably work ok with the scarebird kit but having a scarebird part number so we can go look at what's in it would be nice.

The ECI setup, if you went with both the m/c and disc swap uses 78-81 Camaro calipers, those are a 2.9" bore.  What's the scarebird caliper's bore?

ECI uses redrilled 78-81 Firebird rear rotors in their disc kit, those are 11.16" in diameter, what's the diameter of the scarebird rotors?

Scarebird uses Ford Probe rotors and S-10 4wd calipers.

Fits original rims.

calipers.PNG

Edited by 48ply1stcar

So the scarebird calipers are substantially smaller in bore diameter than ECI uses in it's kit.   Which means substantially less brake force at the pads for a given foot pressure at the pedal, about 25% less if my math is working today.

I used the rusty hope kit with the ECI master. ECI just needed to know what calipers were used with the rusty hope kit so he could supply the correct mater cylinder.

I used the Rusty Hope kit because they were the only ones who would say their kit would fit a stock 15" wheel

any competent machine shop can drill and tap your spindles.  

• Thanks 2

because he has drop spindles on and it's necessary to use the left arm on the right side so the steering links don't hit anything and the bumpsteer isn't horrible.  You then have to bend the right side arm and install it on the left side.

Here's a relevant article.  Go thru the pictures and read the captions.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:30 AM, 48ply1stcar said:

PFLAMING, I guess it the the Directions, drilling and tapping that scare me off from Rusty Hope.  That I wouldn't have the skill to install that kit.

Drilling and tapping was easy and I did it on the car. I used vice grips to lock the spindle in place while I did it. Rustyhope is the best kit out there. 

IMG_0420.JPG.e3d78c6562db26144911c8aa1c5693b1.JPGIMG_0422.JPG.9b56502a3c5b77fb59406342fc60305c.JPGIMG_0423.JPG.51048d9ff0ceedf437210bc3de6ac6a6.JPGIMG_0424.JPG.7d26b9b3ed5a72a675c27042ee15d05f.JPG

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Drilling and tapping was easy and I did it on the car. I used vice grips to lock the spindle in place while I did it. Rustyhope is the best kit out there. 

IMG_0423.JPG.51048d9ff0ceedf437210bc3de6ac6a6.JPG

Questions:

Did this kit increase the track any?

Which master cylinder are you using?

Thanks!

Just for your info-

There are "big bore" new calipers with 2.750 bore available new for $60 ea. at several sellers for the s-10/blazer/others apps.

DJ

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Questions:

tracking starts with king pins and radial tires.  Poor king pins cannot be overcome by anything, they are the very foundation. Everything multiplied out from bad kingpins. 

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

In this case track refers to the distance between the tires, not how it goes down the road.

Correct. I have tires that are slightly wider than what was delivered when the car was new and wouldn't want to reduce fender clearance by very much.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Questions:

Which master cylinder are you using?

Thanks!

No increase in track that I noticed. Accepts factory 15” wheels too, most others won’t 

I am using the stock master cylinder with the pressure check valve removed. No other residual check valves added. 

Been on for several years now and 1000s of miles with zero issues. 

28 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

No increase in track that I noticed. Accepts factory 15” wheels too, most others won’t 

I am using the stock master cylinder with the pressure check valve removed. No other residual check valves added. 

Been on for several years now and 1000s of miles with zero issues. 

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.....thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, LazyK said:

I used the rusty hope kit with the ECI master. ECI just needed to know what calipers were used with the rusty hope kit so he could supply the correct mater cylinder.

I used the Rusty Hope kit because they were the only ones who would say their kit would fit a stock 15" wheel

any competent machine shop can drill and tap your spindles.  

Are you still using the original rear end?