1952 Radio Types

Loren

My 1952 Suburban has a Radio with 5 buttons labeled "Tone 1 2 3 4"

I've seen others with 7 buttons labeled "Off 1 2 3 4 5 Dial"

My question is which is the better radio and why?

I'd like to convert the car to 12 volts and save the old 6 volt parts that will be changed so there is a pathway back if some future owner might desire that.

I like the way tube radios (and amps) sound so I plan to convert the radio (from the inside out) to 12 volts as well. This means buying another radio, hence the question.

I had a 1949 Plymouth once and loved the chrome plated radio facade. I always found the 1952 rather plain. So I am thinking about having the replacement radio surround chrome plated as the paint likely won't match.

Any thoughts?

there are two trim level for the 52 radio.....one is very nicely chromed out...the other...plain Jane aftermarket as in AR..and is it is often the case, delete with a radio insert....

this is the higher trim and less seen for the most part....at least in my neck of the woods....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1952-PLYMOUTH-DODGE-RADIO-model-812-7-tube-6V-51-52-Dodge-MOPAR/402014930098?hash=item5d99f504b2:g:FFoAAOSwT6ldzHy-

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The radio-delete plate for lower-line models of the '52 was a fairly plain gray-painted sheet metal panel.  The delete plate in the Cranbrook was the same as shown above except there was a filler plate covering the dial/ button area.   There was a completely chrome-plated radio plate used for some aftermarket radios...I had one once but sold it.

The 7-button radio was the upscale option and had more tubes and produced better sound.  It could also pull-in distant radio stations clearly.  My father had the 7-button radio in his '52 and we could easily listen to far-away stations very clearly. 

Edited by JerseyHarold

I was going to convert my '52 Suburban radio to 12 volt (like the rest of the wagon) and use a RediRad  where you can run tunes on a thumb drive through your stock speakers, as there is not much content that I'm interested on AM these days. I remember taking my 6 volt Mopar 802 radio from my '40 woodie to Bob's Radio and TV Service in Pismo Beach, CA back in 2005 or 6 and they restored it to as new. Bob has since passed away and his partner, Dan Steele (805) 489-8200, moved the business a few miles away to Oceano.

I visited with Dan last summer (he's a great guy) and he fixed me up with a new, Aurora Design, modern conversion. It still looks stock, all the buttons work, but it's now a solid-state, AM/FM stereo with bluetooth capabilities. All the original knobs and presets have been restored, and I plan to run a center speaker and 2 back speakers for stereo separation. It will sync up with my phone and I will be able to do hands-free calling, or play any tune from my phone, or an online source like Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, or my own thumb-drive playlist. etc.

Dan can also fix any AM radio on the planet- he's one of my fellow boomers, who once gone, will not be able to be replaced, due to his encyclopedia knowledge of his technical field, and diminishing demand for his products.

Aurora3.jpg

Aurora2.jpg

Aurora1.jpg

I decided to be a sport and "step up" to the seven button Mopar 812 radio. I've been looking at one on eBay for some time.

I've also decided to give Dan Steele a call and see what my options are.

As I said I like tube radios and there are some songs from my era that just don't sound right on modern equipment.

For an example, The Grassroots "Live for today" sounds way different.

I used to live on the central coast (San Luis Obispo) and have known Dan Steele for over 40 years.  He's a stand-up guy and knows a ton about vintage electronics.  He used to repair TVs back in the late '70s and '80s and collected antique radios (as do I).  Bob's used to be owned by another friend of mine, Vic, who passed away a couple of years ago.  Dan bought the business from Vic back in the late '80s and eventually moved from San Luis Obispo to Pismo Beach and then finally to Oceano.  Dan has done a ton of car radio restorations and upgrades and knows his stuff.   

If I weren't so lazy I would dig out some service info, but off the top of my head, one set probably has 6 tubes and the upgrade model probably has 8 tubes.  If so, the 8 tube model should have a "push-pull" audio amplifier section in it.  The "push-pull" output features more power and lower distortion.  If you are handy with a solder gun and can accommodate a 6 volt radio, the radio probably only needs its capacitors replaced and the set will work like new.  Check your local public library to see whether they have Sam's Photofact files from the early 50's, of so, you have some pictures, a schematic, and a parts list.  The Photofacts turn up on eBay from time to to time, too and can be had for for a few bucks.  Sams has an index online to help you find the right one and will send you copies, but finding an original on eBay is cheaper.

2 hours ago, Richard A said:

If I weren't so lazy I would dig out some service info, but off the top of my head, one set probably has 6 tubes and the upgrade model probably has 8 tubes.  If so, the 8 tube model should have a "push-pull" audio amplifier section in it.  The "push-pull" output features more power and lower distortion.  If you are handy with a solder gun and can accommodate a 6 volt radio, the radio probably only needs its capacitors replaced and the set will work like new.  Check your local public library to see whether they have Sam's Photofact files from the early 50's, of so, you have some pictures, a schematic, and a parts list.  The Photofacts turn up on eBay from time to to time, too and can be had for for a few bucks.  Sams has an index online to help you find the right one and will send you copies, but finding an original on eBay is cheaper.

I actually found the Photofacts on this site and printed it.

Then I went looking for data on vacuum tubes. I was able to find 12 volt versions for all of them accept one. The missing tube does not have a direct cross over but there is a  12 volt tube which has two elements exactly like the 6 volt version inside its envelope. You have to change the socket from 7 pin to 9 pin and use half its elements.

The vibrator and the vibrator transformer need to be changed as well.

Taking all that into consideration plus the fact I'd like some modern features like Bluetooth and SirrusXM satellite radio, I've decided to let an expert do the work.

I mean I am no electronics genius but given enough time and money I know I could figure it out, but why when there are guys who do this everyday out there?

The 7 button radio should be here Wednesday and then I'll find out more and report.

Well I got the radio and it looks great.

The facade is the wrong color of course and scratched. So... I pulled it apart and bead blasted the facade. Happily the scratches didn't go into the metal.

I'll send it out for chrome plating next week.

Next I called Bob's Radio and TV Service. Once we established what radio I had, we talked about 12 volt conversion. I think he wants to retire as he told me he wanted to pass on my radio.

Now if I'd agree to changing over to a modern radio he'd do it. I don't want that and even if I would agree to that, I could certainly do it myself.

So now I am looking for another place to convert and restore it.

One of the issues is a replacement for the Vibrator Transformer. It steps up the voltage from 6 volts to 530 volts and is one of the key components required to convert to 12 volts.

Sometimes one can salvage a 12 volt transformer from the 1956-58 era which will work but they are hard to find.

Hi Ed,

I like the looks of their self canceling turn signal! It would be easy to add a cruse control switch to the lever.

The restoration of old tube radios is becoming a hobby with a wide following (speaking of table top radio).

If one cruises the internet you find all sorts of good information.

One site I found gave a primer on capacitors and why you need to change them. However, not all need to be changed.

Also in the Mopar 812 there are seven different voltage specs for the capacitors. I found out why and that you could boil it down to three.

Instead of 100, 200, 400 500, 1000 and 1600 volt capacitors, all you need are 630, 1000 and 1600 volt. The 630 volt are very common and it doesn't change the performance at all.

Like most things electronic as time goes by things get cheaper, smaller and more durable.

Some of the capacitors in this radio are of the most durable type and changing them would be counter-productive because other components were tuned to them.

The cost for the capacitors you need to change is less than $7.00!

I decided to change the capacitors myself and install a voltage reduction device. Not my first choice but it will work.

When I get the capacitors I'll post some photos of the change out and which ones to change (there are 12). 

• 4 weeks later...

This is 6 volt Mopar 802 radio from my '40 woodie that Bob's Radio and TV Service in Pismo Beach, restored back in 2005. I found a mono speaker that matched the impedance of the radio and I works great- however it's still AM only.

IMG_0128.jpg