Which rear end to swap in 1946 WD15

lostviking

I usually like to search, because I see a lot more than what I was originally looking for that way. But, I've been looking for 30 mins now and can't find a thread. I'm sure I've seen one, but...

I want to get 1) a better gear ratio and 2) get better brakes for my truck. I'm planning on keeping the 230 and 3 speed. I want to upgrade the rear and I've read, somewhere, that either a Dakota or Jeep rear end of the correct year (drum brakes so the wheels still fit) was a fairly good weld/bolt in.

Does anyone know the correct year?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Isn’t a WD a 1 ton truck? If so, you’ll probably want to address the front end some too to get matching wheel hubs. Otherwise you’ll have mis-matched wheels front to rear. 

for some reason in the W series the WC is 1/2 ton WD15 is 3/4 and WD20/21 is 1ton. When they went to the B series they started with B for 1/2 ton. 

I don't have it on the road yet but I've got a jeep cherokee unit in my 47. Required welding on new perches. I believe its slightly narrower than stock but nothing a slightly wider tire shouldn't fix

I picked up a '93 Jeep Cherokee axle for my '52 3/4 ton 6 weeks ago. It's the Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55 gears. From what I have read on this forum and other forums, on Cherokees, from 1987 - 2012, they used 3 axles, the Chrysler 8.25, Dana 35 and Dana 44. There are still a lot of these axles out there, there were 3 at the salvage yard I got mine at, in Alabama. Ive been told to avoid the Dana 35. The older Cherokees are popular with off-roaders, but they usually swap out the axles, I believe.

My '52 currently has the Chrysler 8.75 / 2.94 with the tapered axles. I have read disparaging posts about this axle.

There were lots of axle options on the Cherokees from this period. In addition to the Chrysler 8.25, Dana 35 and Dana 44 there were disc brake options (Grand Cherokee), limited slip, ABS and many gear ratios (new ring and pinion sets are readily available). My axle was $250.00 and a 6 hour round trip to pick it up. I searched one of those online salvage yard sites to find the axle, but I've heard you can find them through local jeep clubs and on Craig's list.

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-factory-axle-identification-chart

-Roland

3 hours ago, minicooper said:

my '52 currently has the Chrysler 8.75 / 2.94 with the tapered axles. I have read disparaging posts about this axle.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that axle.  Tough piece.  I've ran that type in several vehicles with no failures.  They were behind a 354 hemi, a 413 RB,  and and hot little 273.  Not babied either.

Well, there are a couple of negatives, tapered axle makes brake work more difficult.  But that is a once in 50K mile thing.  Your ratio is higher than I would want, but if it works for you, that's great.

Edited by kencombs

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Mine is a 94

Thanks Ed. Since our trucks share the same frame, the 94 would fit mine also. I've heard the Dakota axles are a perfect fit also, if anyone has experience with that, I'm still gathering option information.

I can't remember, or find the post, but one of them even uses the drive shaft without modification.

I think there is enough interest with things like this and T5 swaps that it should be in the tech section with as much information as possible. That would help the most people IMHO.

Thanks everyone who responded.

1 minute ago, lostviking said:

Thanks Ed. Since our trucks share the same frame, the 94 would fit mine also. I've heard the Dakota axles are a perfect fit also, if anyone has experience with that, I'm still gathering option information.

I can't remember, or find the post, but one of them even uses the drive shaft without modification.

I think there is enough interest with things like this and T5 swaps that it should be in the tech section with as much information as possible. That would help the most people IMHO.

Thanks everyone who responded.

Only the early dakota axles would be good unless you want odd wheels. My 94 has 6 lug bolt wheels. My axle swap is also in conjunction with a T5 swap. The W series trucks use an older style ujoint so you'll still have to deal with the driveshaft

12 hours ago, lostviking said:

I've heard the Dakota axles are a perfect fit also, if anyone has experience with that, I'm still gathering option information.

My rear end is from a 1987 or 1989 Dakota with 2.94 gears with the 5 on 4 1/2 pattern .  I like it just fine . I had a new drive shaft made up . 218 engine . The width is fine . Changed the perches . 

Plenty of Jeep rear axles will work but best option in my opinion is the 29 spline 97-01 XJ Cherokee Chrysler 8.25.  It's common, strong and already set up for leaf springs so no  link suspension brackets to cut/grind.  Those are drum brake axles but can be converted to disc if you are so inclined.  It makes for a clean and easy swap - there's one under my truck and I like it.

I think a cool (but bigger pain in the neck) option would be a Ford 9".  I am thinking a large Ford passenger car like those giant early 70s Mustangs or maybe a Torino is about the right size to start with and has the small five lug pattern.  I know the 9" rear from a 67-72 F100 is the right width for early Mopars and has 11" brakes but that is factory with the 5x5.5 pattern so would have to be dealt with. 

I'm leaning towards a B-body 8-3/4, but the Jeep 8-1/4 is also a good rear end. I like the 8-3/4. I've had both, but I've been inside more of the larger ones. From what I read they are both as easy to swap, and I like the drop out pumpkin. Depends on which I find around here. There is a Mopar only wrecking yard not too far away.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Stevep said:

Will a 1997-2001 Cherokee XJ rear work in a 1946 WC?

If so, what mods need to be done?

I'm guessing a 46 WC probably has a narrower track than a 51 B3B which means you would want to find an axle from a 93 to 97 possibly up to 98.  Around 98/99 Jeep went to an axle that is 5" wider than the B3B series axle.  My B3B rear had a 62-1/4" axle.  The 97 Grand Cherokee axle I bought is 60-1/4" Dana 44 with 5x4.5 hubs.  I will be using wheel spacers to make up the difference.

Brad

30 minutes ago, Stevep said:

I already bought the 2000 rear.

It's 57" from rear seal to rear seal on the 2000 rear.

Thanks!

Steve

It will be interesting to seem what the WMS ends up being on the 2000 axle.  I measured a 2002 and a 2003 in the junkyard and they were something like 65" or 66" for the WMS.  The WMS is not the same as seal to seal measurement.

1 minute ago, Stevep said:

What does WMS mean??

Wheel mounting surface.  

An example would be my original B3B axle has a WMS of 62-1/4".  The new Dana 44 from the 97 Grand Cherokee has a WMS of 60-1/4".  I'm buyint wheel spacers to make up the 1" difference on each side.

Edited by bkahler

What did you do for shock mounts and spring perches?

I have been in the automotive business for over 40 years and I have never hears WMS before but I usually do not do conversions.

Edited by Stevep

1 minute ago, Stevep said:

What did you do for shock mounts and spring perches?

I'm not sure how the WC is configured but on the B3B the lower shock mounts are part of a plate that is located on the bottom of the axle.  The spring perch is on top of the axle.   The U bolts clamp the bottom shock plate to the axle and the leaf springs to the spring perch. 

20191231_172424 (1).jpg

• Like 1