Parking Light Lens 50 Plymouth #1340 270

edrendek7777

Hey out there. I have 2 new old stock parking light lenses part number 1340270 lens. 1 of them is glass and the other one is plastic. I'm assuming 1 of them is real deal NOS and the other 1 may just be a nice new plastic lens that somebody put in an NOS box. Can somebody confirm what the original new old stock part would be? Glass or plastic?

Thanks

Ed

OE lens would be plastic....glass is a replacement on a 50 Plymouth.

• Like 1

Lynx Eye was a very popular aftermarket maker of lenses for the period and still worked a lot of glass lenses....Glass lenses for these years forward is not the norm.....I even one time found a set of glass AMBER front park/turn lenses for the 1951/52 model....only have seen one set ever.  Guess they were NOT that popular....

• Like 1

My '51 Canadian Dodge D39 business coupe (Canadian Dodges were based on the Plymouth body) originally had plastic lenses front and rear. I found glass lenses, Lynx Eye as mentioned previously, and put them on the car. To me, the glass lenses just looks way nicer than plastic ones of that era, especially if they are older weathered lenses.

DSCN0176.JPG.9d6b80271e6cbe9e986bc1c9833e16bb.JPG

DSCN0177.JPG.616468efa76537a30b57e52d4404cdc9.JPG

Compare old weathered plastic lenses with new glass. I know new plastic would still look nice but the glass just has an extra sparkle, especially in the sun. Same car but with six years in between pictures.

DSCN8138.JPG.0af8c8588e369cac3e7651045d329527.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG.3bd8b913f98c23796323aa219dc04b8b.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

You have to be so careful with after market lenses...they sometimes don't exactly fit the housing..can crack if tightened the tiniest too much...

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You have to be so careful with after market lenses...they sometimes don't exactly fit the housing..can crack if tightened the tiniest too much...

Especially true with glass lenses. I was extremely careful when I tightened the bezels down. I had made fairly thick and relatively soft gaskets to help cushion the glass. No problems so far in the nearly 1000 miles I've put on the car. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 5:18 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Lynx Eye was a very popular aftermarket maker of lenses for the period and still worked a lot of glass lenses....Glass lenses for these years forward is not the norm.....I even one time found a set of glass AMBER front park/turn lenses for the 1951/52 model....only have seen one set ever.  Guess they were NOT that popular....

I also  had a set of amber lenses for my 52 until one broke.  Still have the one hoping to find another some day. Although after 10 years of looking it doesn't seem likely.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

I have a set of glass Blue Dots in my 52 Belvedere...

On 12/30/2019 at 7:06 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I also  had a set of amber lenses for my 52 until one broke.  Still have the one hoping to find another some day. Although after 10 years of looking it doesn't seem likely.

Are these what you're looking for? 

They are glass and have the numbers 1340270 and PL 627  on them. I have no use for them on my '50.

20200101_123314.jpg.e495bf32bc85142f50ae1d9a42ca86e9.jpg

There are companies that can make new lenses using old ones as a pattern, even broken ones that need repair first.  Year ago, when I bought my 65 Cuda, it failed inspection because the PO put blue dots in the rear lenses.  They looked to be silicon'd on so I popped them off.  There was a hole in each lens under the blue dots, which also failed inspection and that red lens repair tape fails too, I asked.  Back then no one was reproducing those lenses and an good NOS pair was almost 25% of what I paid for the Cuda.  Permatex made a repair kit that was clear epoxy, with a packet of red dye and amber dye.  I also had some tools/molds in it to fix the lens.  Worked good, still there 25 years later and you still can't tell.  Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore.    

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

There are companies that can make new lenses using old ones as a pattern, even broken ones that need repair first.  Year ago, when I bought my 65 Cuda, it failed inspection because the PO put blue dots in the rear lenses.  They looked to be silicon'd on so I popped them off.  There was a hole in each lens under the blue dots, which also failed inspection and that red lens repair tape fails too, I asked.  Back then no one was reproducing those lenses and an good NOS pair was almost 25% of what I paid for the Cuda.  Permatex made a repair kit that was clear epoxy, with a packet of red dye and amber dye.  I also had some tools/molds in it to fix the lens.  Worked good, still there 25 years later and you still can't tell.  Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore.    

should have moved to a state that allowed blue dots......lol

I am happy our state allows them as on older cars they look right at home.  Any Barracuda is too new of a vehicle for a blue dot lens regardless in my opinion...but they are a recognized safety addition.

1 hour ago, darkfour said:

Are these what you're looking for? 

They are glass and have the numbers 1340270 and PL 627  on them. I have no use for them on my '50.

Remember: No offers of parts for sale on the general forums. Either PM if you wish to notify a single person you have something they might want or put the offer into the classified ads area.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

You can have the blue dots, as for me I will stay in Texas.  To misquote Davy Crockett, lol.

I would not trade my blue dots for the entire state of Texas.....maybe be ok state if was located more east than it is.....not everyone can be located on the right side of the river....?

I spent 4 years at sea when I was in the Navy and I got used to being able to see the horizon.  Being in a place with trees makes me feel crowded in.  West Texas is about as wide open as the sea is without being on water.

• Like 1

when I worked DoD Navy there was a saying they had...Navy has two classes of ships, submarines and targets....seriously though I have respect for many sailors as that is a very tough job daily and for the ship to survive in that environment the entire crew is constantly doing work to keep the rust/corrosion in check.  This on top of their normal rate/job...and in knowing a large portion of the other guys job as well in case of a survival alarm.   It is not a 9-5 job like I experienced in the Army and Air Force career.  In comparison, they were underpaid more so than most other military counterpart.  I salute you,....now get you butt back to work......?

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I have the same problem with a dual color red and yellow taillight lens for my 38 Dodge  - I only have one of the pair. My guess is that they were pretty uncommon as indicators weren't mandatory in the USA at the time but were in a few overseas markets. They are listed in the parts books as an option. Am going to approach some glass crafts people to see if it is possible to cast some new ones. If it eventuates I will post a thread to see if there's interest out there.