Mounted my vintage Sun Tach

Jim Shepard
Go to solution Solved by Jim Shepard,

On 12/28/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jim Shepard said:

Mounted my old Sun tach today. Hated to drill the dash but there was no other location.

6D4D9492-E981-44E7-BD63-BA437622AFBF.jpeg

Looks good Jim!  I mounted my tach under the center part of the dash where a bolt was readily available,  now I never look at it since I know the sound of the engine at each gear.

Why do guys put tachs in street vehicles? I can understand race motors but I never understand tachs in several new trucks that I have purchased. I just listen to the engine and shift accordingly. I can’t say I’ve ever looked at a tach in any vehicle I’ve ever owned. 
No disrespect to Jim, it looks great sitting there, I’m just confused what the purpose is for.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Todd B said:

Why do guys put tachs in street vehicles? I can understand race motors but I never understand tachs in several new trucks that I have purchased. I just listen to the engine and shift accordingly. I can’t say I’ve ever looked at a tach in any vehicle I’ve ever owned. 
No disrespect to Jim, it looks great sitting there, I’m just confused what the purpose is for.

I've had several vehicles over the years w/tachs, and like you, I don't use them for shifting guidance. I just listen to the engine. But, cruising down a highway, it has been interesting to see what the RPM's look like in various vehicles. Just a nice to have decoration, for me. ? And a redline, ha!, I've never even gotten close to one of those. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Todd B said:

I think GGDad got one after a few years of us ribbing him for going so slow in his truck! I can see how they'd be useful in an older vehicle that is generally louder and could trick your ear. 

Dodge did offer the tachs in the trucks.

They were mounted on the steering column. Typically used on the medium to heavy trucks.

Used to help shift non synchro trans and rear end condo's. If you couldn't figure it out by sound and feel like a real pro trucker?

• Like 2