Trouble in Paradise?

Sniper

On 12/26/2019 at 3:51 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

are you sure your aggressive driving you admitted to did not find you on two wheels and you splashed over oil from the air cleaner......if so just don't post a video...may be some folks report you for reckless driving.....:lol:

...or you'll end up influencing us younger drivers.  Gun it Snipes!

Thanks, I blast about everywhere I go.  I blame it on the fact that for the first three years of my driving life I rode a motorcycle and your best defense against other drivers is the bike's acceleration.  Don't be where they are heading and they can't hit you.  These days I don't usually speed but I don't fart about getting up to speed either.

Ok, sorry for the delay.  Did a compression check on the 218.  The FSM says to the test at "room termerature (70 degrees).  Never saw that before.  Had to wait for a 70 degree day give or take,.

Specifications are 105 psi with no more than a 10 psi variation between cylinders. 

Per FSM specifications with the throttle and choke held open, all plugs pulled and a charger on the battery to minimize that as an issue.

cylinder  reading

1                50psi

2                50 psi

3                48psi

4                40psi

5                40psi

6                44psi

Hmm, that seems wrong.  So I did it like l always have done it, fully warmed up.  In this case coolant at 180 degrees and I got the following

1                50psi

2                52psi

3                52psi

4                50psi

5                51psi

6                46psi

Still seems off.  My compression checker is probably pushing 30 years old at this point and initially I could get no reading at all.  So it's suspect.  In any case the variation didn't exceed 10% and I will get a new compression checker.  Before I decide I have an issue I will redo the checks.  I also need to pull the thermostat because the only way I could get it to 180 degrees was to block about 2/3's of the radiator core, it;s never run that warm before.   Oil looks good no "chocolate milkshake" look to it, smells like oil. 

I didn't squirt any oil into the cylinders to see if ring seating might be an issue.  I might do that if the new compression checker reads similarly.

I also forgot to close the throttle before I put it all back together and started it.  Oops. 

Edited by Sniper

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

stating  you removed the air cleaner I can easily see a splash over at this time....and as Tom states, there is a gasket....easily enough to make...wetting it on application will allow for a good form but handle carefully as it will also be apt to tear.  This will allow a good surface match with your newly made gasket.   If you have not made the conversion of the shock from the upper control arms to that of the chassis, you will find this very effective in removing float feel of your vehicle.  Many say they see no difference but I feel they are neither driving aggressive in handling and or at higher speeds....my car really does not float till about 75MPH at 80 you say, back 'er down....not a good situation when a semi come around at interstate speeds.....I have my brackets, I just have not done mine yet as I also have the disc brakes but so far the originals still working and as I drive it but rarely, no real push for the upgrades at this time....if the brakes go tits up, will do both deeds at the same time.  I have driven converted shock cars...like night and day if you truly drive the car and not just toy around and baby it.

A paper air filter isn't an issue for me.  Just haven't got around to it yet as I haven't found one that doesn't look out of place in my otherwise stock engine compartment. 

But I plan to hop up the 6 anyway, Edgy head, dual 1bbl intake, split exhaust so by then a "stock" looking air filter will look out of place.  Though I did see one I like for this look.  Need two by then and the matching radiator cap.

aeroshort2.gif

1 hour ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Father Plymouth...

is it a sin to put a paper element air filter (chrome of course) on your ride?

I was able to use the original metal oil bath aire filter on my 39 Desoto and found a NAPA paper air filter that was the same size as my original oil copper mesh insert. So you only see the paper filter from the back of the air cleaner. I have kept the original copper mesh insert and put it in the oil bath airfilter when I am officially showing the car at a sanctioned event other than that I just keep the paper filter installed.

Most people that come to the car shows do not even know the difference and all that the crowds of today are interested in are the high power cars of the 60 and more modern cars and all of the chrome add on ''s to the engine and chrome wheels.  Even at that they do not have any knowledge of the cars and even lesser knowledge of the cars from the late 20's,30's40's 50's and possible the 60's.

Most of the people that do ask any questions think it is a foreign car and do not know anything about the Desoto brand and even any knowledge that it was part of the Chrysler corporation. 

So I decided to make the car work for me and do what I want to do and not worry about the general publics. thoughts. They are not the ones putting out the cash to keep the car running.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Yeh, the plan was to clean, tidy up & repaint the Plymouths engine bay once the 230 was built and install it with the imported S10 T5 gearbox, Falcon diff & front discs.......but things got in the way and the lot was sold........but chrome is still good.......andyd  

15 hours ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Father Plymouth...

is it a sin to put a paper element air filter (chrome of course) on your ride?

Baby Plymouth here, Start the new year out right with one, two or three depending on your set up, that reads Edmonds Custom on the top.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update, was under the hood today and it's back.  While it's not out of the question I could have splash oil out of the oil bath air cleaner again it's in exactly the same spot and the same plug is coated in a very similar manner.

Which tells me head gasket.  C'est la vie.  I have an Edgy head coming so this might be reason enough to redo the engine or a spare engine.

• 2 weeks later...