Trouble in Paradise?

Sniper

I was under the hood adjusting my choke when I saw the oil puddle in number 4 plug well.  You can see it was on the plug too.  I put a torque wrench on the bolt and it was under torqued.  I ended up running all the cylinder head bolts  and about half were undertorqued.  Ran them again to make sure I didn't miss any.   That's the center bolt between number three and number four plugs.  Does that bolt go into the crankcase or anywhere with oil?  I ask because I can't figure how it's weeping oil and I am about 99.9% sure it oil, it's slippery and smells like oil.  This is something new, but I did get on it the other day and wound it out so maybe that started the seep.  Anyway, I cleaned it up and will keep an eye on it.  But that got me to thinking it probably wouldn't hurt to retorque every tuneup.  I did note that Chrysler left enough room, barely in some cases, to to that.

leaky bolt.jpg

I would suggest that you go to your service manual or a good tech book and follow the specific head botl torqueing process and torqueing the bolts in the proper sequence.

Folow the steps and then check the head bolts again.  Did you pull the plug to see if there is any oil on the end of the plug or is the plug also loose?

Rich Hartung 

Don't think there are any head bolts that go into oil passages. Some go through coolant passages.  Get your engine up to temp and after it cools a bit, follow the sequence and retorque.  Then pull and check the plugs, then I would do a compression gauge test.

I suppose it's possible it's oil splash from the air cleaner. I hope so.  I'll keep an eye on things and see if anything shows up.  I guess I could pull the head bolt and see if there is any oil on the shank. I do plan to pull the engine to regasket it, new core plugs, clean and paint it.  I wasn't going to pull the head though. 

I think I am running a bit rich and need a step colder plug.

Do you think that could be anti freeze residue? possibly water evaporated from engine heat

leaving that coating behind. If you pull that head bolt you are going to find that it goes into the

coolant system. First like desoto 1939 says retorque all the bolts following the proper sequence.

Do it cold then bring it up to operating temp & do it again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

I suppose it's possible it's oil splash from the air cleaner. I hope so.  I'll keep an eye on things and see if anything shows up.  I guess I could pull the head bolt and see if there is any oil on the shank. I do plan to pull the engine to regasket it, new core plugs, clean and paint it.  I wasn't going to pull the head though. 

I think I am running a bit rich and need a step colder plug.

I was being funny in my remark and truly I think you would have to be careening on two wheels teetering dangerously on the brink of a rollover for a splash over to be possible.....if your window was down you could possibly have licked the pavement....

• Haha 1

Sniper,

Look at the Oil Closely. Is it Milky? Compression Check it after re-torque. It may need a new Head Gasket.

Change the Oil, if everything Compression Checks well. Keep an eye on it going forward. I had some loose

Head Bolts a few years ago and re-tightned them, shortly there after a Head Gasket Failure.

It was right before Christmas 2017. When I went in to do the Head Gasket I did a ring job as well.

Runs much better now.

Tom

unnamed (1).jpg

image0.jpeg

Edited by Tom Skinner
more info

29 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I was being funny in my remark and truly I think you would have to be careening on two wheels teetering dangerously on the brink of a rollover for a splash over to be possible.....if your window was down you could possibly have licked the pavement....

I figured as much, I got on it getting on the highway.  I'm not young enough to try, never mind I did drift it in a corner the other day.  Sort of by accident, made a hard left at 30ish, rear hit a bump and got light so I put the hammer down and rode with it thru the corner.  I really need to address the suspension, it's a boat.

I though maybe I spilled some when I pulled the oil bath for the choke adjustment.  Since I didn't see it till after I was done buttoning it up and was doing a final look around it seemed possible.  But if you look at the plug you can see it appears to have been blown on the plug, boot was dry.  I cleaned it all up and we'll see if anything returns, no more drifts.

All this reminds me, is there supposed to be a gasket on the carb where the air cleaner clamps on?  I don't have one, no idea what it looks like and can't find a listing for one but the air cleaner is a bit rattly on the carb.. 

stating  you removed the air cleaner I can easily see a splash over at this time....and as Tom states, there is a gasket....easily enough to make...wetting it on application will allow for a good form but handle carefully as it will also be apt to tear.  This will allow a good surface match with your newly made gasket.   If you have not made the conversion of the shock from the upper control arms to that of the chassis, you will find this very effective in removing float feel of your vehicle.  Many say they see no difference but I feel they are neither driving aggressive in handling and or at higher speeds....my car really does not float till about 75MPH at 80 you say, back 'er down....not a good situation when a semi come around at interstate speeds.....I have my brackets, I just have not done mine yet as I also have the disc brakes but so far the originals still working and as I drive it but rarely, no real push for the upgrades at this time....if the brakes go tits up, will do both deeds at the same time.  I have driven converted shock cars...like night and day if you truly drive the car and not just toy around and baby it.

It feels like oil, it looks like oil, it smells like oil.  No, I am not going to taste it though over the years I have ended up tasting both involuntarily.  Occam's razor is a fine theory, until it meets reality.  As easily as it cleaned up off the plug I suspect it was a fresh spill that got blown on the plug by the semi-loose head bolt.  Which probably means a failing or soon to head gasket.  I have one and I had planned to pull the engine anyway to clean, regasket, new core plugs and paint it.  I wasn't going to pull the head till I got a new Edgy one, but that's out the window now. 

I had a unusual problem years ago with an oil bath air cleaner,a fine stress crack appeared along the bottom allowing a small amount of oil to weep onto the engine ,I soldered along the crack and it's been fine since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T120 said:

I had a unusual problem years ago with an oil bath air cleaner,a fine stress crack appeared along the bottom allowing a small amount of oil to weep onto the engine ,I soldered along the crack and it's been fine since.

I had the same issue. A little stress crack in the bottom of the air cleaner that leaked oil onto the head.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 12:37 PM, T120 said:

I gutted my oil bath air cleaner, and put in a paper filter. Never spilled any oil bath oil after that.