engine rebuilt and back in car

n1gzd_plymouth

4 minutes ago, n1gzd_plymouth said:

My engine is rebuilt and back in the car. Car runs and drives. Main issue to resolve now is rear end leak (new after changing seals - worse with new seals).

Rebecca

Axles, pinion or all 3?nos oem seals should be soaked in oil before installing. 
some of those older axle housings had a couple seals on axles,and a grease fitting to fill the void between them. 
Gear lube should be 3/4” to 1” below fill port. 
also if it has a vent, make sure its not plugged. 

Edited by Tooljunkie

13 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

Axles, pinion or all 3?nos oem seals should be soaked in oil before installing. 
some of those older axle housings had a couple seals on axles,and a grease fitting to fill the void between them. 
Gear lube should be 3/4” to 1” below fill port. 
also if it has a vent, make sure its not plugged. 

If she used leather seals, you are 100% correct.  I made the same mistake on a 1940 Dodge truck over 30 years ago, I didn't soak my seals in gear oil, and I put grease on them before I installed them.  What a messy disaster! 

Lesson learned LOL

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, classiccarjack said:

If she used leather seals, you are 100% correct.  I made the same mistake on a 1940 Dodge truck over 30 years ago, I didn't soak my seals in gear oil, and I put grease on them before I installed them.  What a messy disaster! 

Lesson learned LOL

diff housing seal. we think corrosion is preventing the new seal from sealing (old seal matched the corrosion). will revisit in spring. 

Rebecca

• Like 1

Personally I would never use leather seals even if they have been soaking for a year in oil............although if there is a groove worn in the axle or whatever the seal rides on then it won't matter what the seals made of it will leak anyway, so a speedie sleeve or similar is required......I'd chase up a neoprene seal but thats just me........andyd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 7:04 PM, n1gzd_plymouth said:

diff housing seal. we think corrosion is preventing the new seal from sealing (old seal matched the corrosion). will revisit in spring. 

Rebecca

I hope that your second attempt will be successful.  I have used crocus cloth and 1200 Grit sandpaper to repair rusted shafts.  But if there is one available, always try to find a speedy sleeve(seal saver) first.  

Let us know how things go Rebecca. 

On 12/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, n1gzd_plymouth said:

My engine is rebuilt and back in the car. Car runs and drives. Main issue to resolve now is rear end leak (new after changing seals - worse with new seals).

Rebecca

Okay Miss Rebecca how she be now with a fresh engine?

On 1/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, Andydodge said:

Personally I would never use leather seals even if they have been soaking for a year in oil............although if there is a groove worn in the axle or whatever the seal rides on then it won't matter what the seals made of it will leak anyway, so a speedie sleeve or similar is required......I'd chase up a neoprene seal but thats just me........andyd

we tried some modern seals and had no luck. will try again in the spring.

I have not driven the car with the new engine. Got it done just about then the salt and snow arrived. snug as a bug now. I did just notice an oil leak under the firewall on the left side. I have not investigated but I am wondering if it is leaking line from oil filter hosing. will investigate soon.

Rebecca

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo said:

Okay Miss Rebecca how she be now with a fresh engine?

I did get a chance to go for a real drive. snow and salt arrived just about when we got it done.

I can't wait. Also I can't wait to start working on my new one (the 39).

Rebecca

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

other than repeated investigation I have been unable to figure out where this leak is coming from. I can see no oil above the cross member (on either side). Is dripping from the cross member (left side of car). Hopefully when I finally start it up for the spring I an see if it is a real leak (vs some oil that had pooled somewhere from before and is finally pouring out).