New Member with "new" 1950 plymouth deluxe

Donny318

As one ‘50 Plymouth Deluxe owner to another,  congratulations and welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing the pictures and trust me, there are no stupid questions.  There are a lot of people on this forum with a great deal of experience with these cars and they are always willing to help out, so ask away!    

It's 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern on the wheels.  I test fitted a 15x7" cop car rim off an 87 Diplomat on the back of my 51, fit fine.  However, being that our cars have wheel bolts and not studs there is an alignment pin on the drums that fits into a corresponding hole of the original rims.  That hole is not on later rims so you need to remove it, or drill a hole in the rim to match.   I removed the pin on mine. 

As for floor pans, this guy says he has them.  http://theplymouthdoctor.com/

Other than that I know noting about him.

2 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

Congratulations! I like it! I believe the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5. I don't know about interior kits. Looks well worth what you paid. Is it still running the flathead 6? 6 volt?

Thanks!Not currently running.It is the org flat 6 and believed to be the correct mileage at 44k. The brake peddle just has a little worn off the edge,less ware then my daily driver has at 109k. I put a new 6 volt battery in,it turns over so slowly that I think it will have to be pull started the first time.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

It's 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern on the wheels.  I test fitted a 15x7" cop car rim off an 87 Diplomat on the back of my 51, fit fine.  However, being that our cars have wheel bolts and not studs there is an alignment pin on the drums that fits into a corresponding hole of the original rims.  That hole is not on later rims so you need to remove it, or drill a hole in the rim to match.   I removed the pin on mine. 

As for floor pans, this guy says he has them.  http://theplymouthdoctor.com/

Other than that I know noting about him.

Fantastic. Thank you :)

• Like 1

With a good new  battery installed Slow engine cranking may be attributed to a well worn starter,  and incorrect sized battery cables that have been installed.  Possibly poorly corroded cables too.  Stiff and crunchy cables are symptoms.  Poor grounds will also contribute. Suggest cleaning up cable contacts. If its cold, light viscosity engine oil helps speed things up a little too. It all adds up, each contributing to a slow cranking engine. 

When I converted my 51 to 12V I put in new battery cables.  I also added a ground strap from the battery negative to the radiator cowl.  I think I may add another from the block to the firewall.  Good grounds are required for starting and proper voltage regulation.  Doesn't hurt to add some extras.

More pictures and a few more questions :) I'm installing the trim and I don't know how to install the long bottom pieces. Looks like I may also be missing a small piece at the back window.

I bleed the brakes and am ready to try pull starting this badboy. I'm trying to find an accomplice!

DSC00713a.JPG

DSC00710a.JPG

DSC00712a.JPG

DSC00714a.JPG

Now that the car is all cleaned up, it looks really good!  I’m not an expert, but are you sure it’s just a Deluxe and not a Special Deluxe?  I don’t see any model script on the front fender and with the stone guards on the rear fenders and a few more chrome bits (which look to be in very good shape, by the way), it looks more like a Special Deluxe.  Just my two cents worth.  Either way, you’ve got a really nice looking car there!   

15 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Now that the car is all cleaned up, it looks really good!  I’m not an expert, but are you sure it’s just a Deluxe and not a Special Deluxe?  I don’t see any model script on the front fender and with the stone guards on the rear fenders and a few more chrome bits (which look to be in very good shape, by the way), it looks more like a Special Deluxe.  Just my two cents worth.  Either way, you’ve got a really nice looking car there!   

Thank you! I like it the more I look at it :) It is a special deluxe,it has the special deluxe emblems,just not installed yet.

Welcome and that's a nice looking car. You said you needed an accomplice? What do you need and where are you located? I'm sure there's somebody in your neck of the woods to help out.

5 minutes ago, Silverdome said:

Welcome and that's a nice looking car. You said you needed an accomplice? What do you need and where are you located? I'm sure there's somebody in your neck of the woods to help out.

Thanks! I need someone to tow me so I can pull start it lol. I'm in Vidor TX.Everyone I know is still doing holiday stuff. But I guess I can polish and wax until then.

Edited by Donny318
typo

57 minutes ago, Donny318 said:

Thanks! I need someone to tow me so I can pull start it lol. I'm in Vidor TX.Everyone I know is still doing holiday stuff. But I guess I can polish and wax until then.

Clean all the battery and starter connections before deciding it needs to be towed to start. Make sure it has fuel and fire...these low compression engines will light off even at low rpm if given a fighting chance.  :)

I hope you get as much pleasure from your 50 as I have from mine.  Got my first one in 1965 and have not been without one  since.

• Like 2

I got someone to give me a pull. It had a stuck valve but it did start and after a few minutes the valve unstuck and it's purring like a kitten. Turns out that I had the battery hooked up wrong. Oops I didn't realize it's reverse polarity. It doesn't want to start from electric start but hopefully it's just a low battery and I'm sure it could use new cables. I don't have a 6v charger so I am using a headlight bulb in series with the charger! Not sure how well that is going to work.

Six volt batteries don't have a long life. I would put a new group 2 battery in the car. You might have to take the top battery tray out, for it to fit flat in the tray. You will eventually, want a dual voltage charger. Your charging trick with a headlight in series won't work. The rocker panel trim should have a 10-24 screw that attaches to the front fender and a bracket at the rear that attaches the rocker to the bottom of the sill plate with a 1/4" bolt. The middle brackets should snap on. If the rear isn't on the trim, it might still be on the car when it was painted. It depends on the box of parts you were given on the purchase. Service Manuals vary on picture quality, so beware of that. I bought one for $10 that is crap, compared to the worn one I got, when I got my first P-15. 

1 hour ago, 9 foot box said:

Six volt batteries don't have a long life. . .

I haven't noticed any significant difference in life between the 6v battery in my old car and any newer car with a 12v battery. I suspect any difference would be due to how it is used (long periods of storage) rather than the number of cells it has.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TodFitch said:

I haven't noticed any significant difference in life between the 6v battery in my old car and any newer car with a 12v battery. I suspect any difference would be due to how it is used (long periods of storage) rather than the number of cells it has.

It could be short battery life is due to a tired charging system not keeping the battery topped off.