3 speed selector transmission floor shifter

thebelvedereman

I know I'm beating a dead horse that's been beaten over and over , I was just wondering if anyone has started making a floor shifter for the selector trans yet, or if we still have to try and make our own or find an old foxcraft or dragfast shifter and pay a fortune, thanks 

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

too late...sold it back to the guy I got mine from.....

Sad part was I tried to generate a reproduction interest and it was deemed not economically feasible due to the pressed brackets being rather complex.

I kind of figured that , it looked like a giant pain in the ass to try and make, I'll be back in Georgia in about a week and a half, and I love my column shifter but I have a shift knob that my grandfather made for me about 40 years ago for my first car and I really want to use it , but it's made of brass and it's way too heavy for a column shift , it would just keep popping it out of gear, weighs about seven pounds LOL, I was just wondering if anyone had started making them

4 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

it's made of brass and it's way too heavy for a column shift , it would just keep popping it out of gear, weighs about seven pounds LOL, I was just wondering if anyone had started making them

Oh come on now, you cant leave us hanging like that .... wheres the pics?

Somewhere on this very forum is a thread where someone posted the details of

a shifter he had made. Real good "how to" text & pics. You'll have to research it

as I'm not computer literate enough to find it again myself. Many years ago

I made a quite simple one using a Corvette T-handle shfter with a cable that

operated the selector lever. But back then you could buy said shifter for less 

than the price of a running p-15.

I still have an Almquist engineering catalog listing selector floor shifts

for about $19.95. 'Fraid  it's about 60 years out of date though.

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Oh come on now, you cant leave us hanging like that .... wheres the pics?

nothing fancy, just nice smooth brass, and I pulled the pentastar off the passenger side fender and he recessed the knob and set it in, when I polish it real good it looks like it's made out of gold LOL

20190524_114431.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, plymjim said:

Somewhere on this very forum is a thread where someone posted the details of

a shifter he had made. Real good "how to" text & pics. You'll have to research it

as I'm not computer literate enough to find it again myself. Many years ago

I made a quite simple one using a Corvette T-handle shfter with a cable that

operated the selector lever. But back then you could buy said shifter for less 

than the price of a running p-15.

I still have an Almquist engineering catalog listing selector floor shifts

for about $19.95. 'Fraid  it's about 60 years out of date though.

yeah somewhere in one of my closets down in Georgia I have a bunch of old late 50s and early 60s JC Whitney catalogs with shifters for the selector trans, but I'm sure you can't get them either LOL

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

too late...sold it back to the guy I got mine from.....

Sad part was I tried to generate a reproduction interest and it was deemed not economically feasible due to the pressed brackets being rather complex.

Yep, it’s going in my 36 DeSoto Airflow bolted to an R10. 

The floor shift conversion for the overdrive is a little different than the non-OD unit. One could be converted to the other with some sawing and welding.

Edited by austinsailor

Here are a few pictures that I've saved.  I asked Rodney, on the truck side,  to post a photo of his 36 Dodge truck shifter.

mopar 3spd floorshift 2.jpg

mopar 3spd floorshift.jpg

shifteray mopar 3spd 3.jpg

Rodney's shifter.jpeg

Edited by 9 foot box
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I fabricated this, rough and worked, but not on an overdrive.  OD must be mounted in front of that solenoid. New design finished yesterday, will install in the Suburban tomorrow. Much different shifter.

39AC7B0A-062E-458E-A0F2-E77A00268CA7.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

15 minutes ago, 61spit said:

I think Drag Fast was the brand name.

Yep.  The floor shifter market back then was driven by the perceived need to change gears faster than the 3 on the tree permitted.  Drag racing was the primary auto sport in my area, and most others for teens and early 20s gear heads.

Short throw gear to gear, fast movement through the neutral gate, short stiff shift rods with no play.  Low ETs where everything.  Fun fun fun!

• 4 years later...

Way to go Dalew, get me thinking about a floor shifter again! LOL! I want one, but I also think the "three in the tree" is unique in today's world and that is cool too. It's a cold day before a coming snow storm here, this gives me something to think about. How about some pics and info on the car in your picture too? Looks interesting.

give me five and let it come alive.....I'll take four but only on the floor...if I have to settle for three....anywhere but the tree....!

For sure the selector setup on the old Mopars put an added twist to the floor shifter...I even prefer automatic shifters be on the floor....puts a bit of sport into the build...

gallery_19_35_67856.jpg

I tried to rotate this pix and it just keeps showing up like this..apologizes.  Anyway this is the box that this inline linkage would come in. My overdrive necessitated this linkage as I barely can shift up against my bench seat. It gets some used to for sure and it’s a sure bet for theft. I doubt a thief could figure it out. You gotta push dn and then back for first and then push forward into central position and let it pop up to push forward into second and then pull back for third. Reverse is push dn and then forward. I think that’s right.  There are times I wish I had 3 on the tree though.  Oh, customizations can be...intimidating and goofy and fun !

EA477AF6-B1B0-479A-931A-5100BAB80B13.jpeg

• Like 1