52 Coronet trans swap

Jamie Anderson

Is it not operating?  Plymouth never got fluid drive till 53 when it got hydrive. But to do the swap you will need to relocate the cross member that supports the bell housing. You would also need all the components from the donor Plymouth including the bell housing.The fluid drive bell is deeper to accommodate the FD.  Shift linkage and clutch mechanisms and linkages also. Maybe drive shaft mods also. Thickness of crankshaft flange mayalso dictate some starter issues for proper pinion to ring gear connection.

Edited by greg g

32 minutes ago, greg g said:

Is it not operating?  Plymouth never got fluid drive till 53 when it got hydrive. But to do the swap you will need to relocate the cross member that supports the bell housing. You would also need all the components from the donor Plymouth including the bell housing.The fluid drive bell is deeper to accommodate the FD.  Shift linkage and clutch mechanisms and linkages also. Maybe drive shaft mods also. Thickness of crankshaft flange mayalso dictate some starter issues for proper pinion to ring gear connection.

I'm getting the engine bell trans clutch pedal assembly drive shaft and rear end I just need to know for sure if the bolt pattern is the same because I want to keep my engine

Far as I know!  I seem to recall some discussion on the P15 D24 forum regarding problems getting the fly wheel off, the fsteners need to be accessedfrom the engine side of the crank flange if I recall.  You might go there and search for the thread is was several years back.  You don't need to be a member to read threads there.

The fluid drive flywheel is drilled for 8 fasteners the Plymouth if pre 56 is four bolt. It will work but due to non assemetrical  positioning of the holes it needs to be properly aliigned to get the four holes to match.

Edited by greg g

On 12/24/2019 at 3:02 PM, greg g said:

Far as I know!  I seem to recall some discussion on the P15 D24 forum regarding problems getting the fly wheel off, the fsteners need to be accessedfrom the engine side of the crank flange if I recall.  You might go there and search for the thread is was several years back.  You don't need to be a member to read threads there.

The fluid drive flywheel is drilled for 8 fasteners the Plymouth if pre 56 is four bolt. It will work but due to non assemetrical  positioning of the holes it needs to be properly aliigned to get the four holes to match.

Does any one have any knowledge of fluid drive transmissions?

The three speed transmissions are the same except for the shorter input shaft on the non FD units, depending on year, the parking brake assembly may need to be swapped also.  You should also check the spline count on the input shaft and the pressure plate clutch disc diameter.  Most were 10 inch some were 11. Years ago some one was looking for a Dodge transmission. I had one from a pile of parts I bought that came from what I was told was a 48 Dodge.  Got it all boxed up to send and found out it was shorter and would not work with his application.  I have no idea what the difference was, maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Edited by greg g