Introduction

Rodney_Hamon

Hello. I am introducing myself to this excellent forum as I have been following it for a long time. I have owned my ‘36 dodge 1/2 ton pu since 1974. In high school I drove a ‘48 3/4 ton dodge truck that was so much fun. When I went to grad school I made the big mistake of letting my truck sit way too long. It sat since 1987. Bad owner. After a lot of life and recently retiring from teaching 2 years ago I started the engine. Thus, I want to join the forum to help with this restoration project. As you can expect I need to ask advice about several things. It does have a D-30 engine with a ‘53 Plymouth transmission (R-10).   Also, I have a P-23 project that should be discussed in the other forum. So please bear with me as I learn how to be in a forum and of course pictures will be coming. Thanks for your consideration. Rodney Hamon

86861BF4-6FB0-4B88-AFC4-9B889061AA3B.jpeg

• Like 4

This is attempt #2 to send smaller pix. In 1974-5 my dad rewired some circuits. We had a diagram from somewhere. I helped somewhat but I was pretty clueless as a 19 yr old. I bought this truck from a biker who used it for dump runs. It was rough and missing stuff then. 

BA33757A-2F6C-4479-B65F-ABD0F9D4DCED.jpeg

• Like 1

I think it went thru! I live in a rural area where cell is bad, no cable, and bad satellite. Also, my dad knew somebody who would split my exhaust but the dude did it so I have a 4/2 split. Works but it’s not the prettiest. 

00598F1E-1A39-4B64-B93F-7299640B7453.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the nice replies!  Yes, the sound from a 4/2 split is kinda nice. I did notice that one of the exhaust pipes and muffler rotted out. Guess it didn’t get hot enough. One reason that pushed me to join was when I engaged the transmission for the first time I had a fluid leak out the end of it. I pulled the driveshaft off and a trickle of tranny fluid is leaking out. Rats. Thus I have joined seeking guidance from you guys! I was so close to putting wheels back on it and driving it around the property. Oh well. 

Yes. I have a hurst in-line linkage set up where you have to push dn to first, pull up for second and third. Third is a little snug to the bench seat but a shift lever could be fabricated to straighten the bend a bit. I will take pix of that. 

Here is a pix of the tranny linkage. Not long ago I tried to adjust to the next shorter hole for the rod but it was too short. I may need to drill a hole between holes to perhaps tighten the “throw” a bit. Will figure it out. 

5A5E3BE5-3133-43E4-A7D7-A4A26005C615.jpeg

That's great Rodney. I wanted to see a shifter on a R-10 transmission. I posted three other pictures, on the car side. I'll add this one to my file. Thank's again.

Good to your work on the 1936 Dodge Pickup.  Not as many pre-war vehicles left.  The 1936 should be very similar to the 1938 Dodge RC Pickup I recently started working on.  Hope something I do, good or bad, can help you.  Of course I'll be looking at yours along the way.  Thank you.

Tom Anderson

Paonia CO

https://p15-d24.com/topic/51743-1938-dodge-rc-pickup-build/

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks. Need to pick up the speed a little as the holidays slowed me down. Cold garage is not inspiring. I’m reading up on the overdrive facts so I can figure the next step. After snow stops tomorrow I’ll go out and take another pix!

Ok. It warmed up and it’s 46 in the garage. I removed the p-23 seats etc from the bed so only truck stuff sits there. I started and ran it for awhile and then looked at the tranny. Cable for the overdrive was stuck pushed in so I unhooked cable and manually pushed the lever forward to disengage. Reading the Rundle book on R-10’s to relearn my overdrive. Speedometer is not working but the cable seems ok. Cleanings coming on both those cables. I went under the dash to see how easy it would be to remove the speedometer. Ugh. This will take a pot of coffee and large pillow kind of courage but will attempt. One more nice day and then weather comes back. Charging batteries in order to start the p-23 as well

E4DD6B13-6DB9-4BA8-ABA3-E614E30965DE.jpeg

I spent most of the day disconnecting and cleaning that overdrive cable as it was frozen. The route of the cable housing was odd contributing to the lack of easy push/pull so I improved. I doubt I could find as nice a cable assembly so I decided to hurt myself and make it better so it would not kink /break.  Glad I did. Will tackle the speedo in couple days