Overdrive wiring

austinsailor

I’m sure this is an old topic, I’ve been trying to search for ideas on a simple way of wiring.up an R10. However, me and the search function don’t seem to understand each other. Tried overdrive wiring, “overdrive wiring”, overdrive and wiring, but no reasonable results. 

Regardless, if anyone can point me to a wiring diagram I’d appreciate it.

i know of one installation where they have a toggle switch on the gearshift to split shift, sort of like a 2 speed rear. Something simple like that would be good.

Is there anything out there?

18 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

I’m sure this is an old topic, I’ve been trying to search for ideas on a simple way of wiring.up an R10. However, me and the search function don’t seem to understand each other. Tried overdrive wiring, “overdrive wiring”, overdrive and wiring, but no reasonable results. 

Regardless, if anyone can point me to a wiring diagram I’d appreciate it.

i know of one installation where they have a toggle switch on the gearshift to split shift, sort of like a 2 speed rear. Something simple like that would be good.

Is there anything out there?

personally the easiest wiring is the mopar wiring from the shop manual. I have my p15 wired as stock but the kickdown is in the car rather than under the hood

Search kickdown switch and shift rite or shift right.

Things I learned.

The wiring needs to be stout as quite a bit of amperage is called for

The governor which controls grounding the switch side of the relay is the key component

The power side of the solenoid needs clean tight connections through it's circuit path.

The relay fuse holder needs to be in top condition as to not allow any loosness of of fit.

My switch is a push pull switch mounted to my turn signal switch mount.  This powers the switched side of the relay from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch.powering or depowering the relay. 

If you pm your address I will send you a copy of my schematic if your interested.

• Like 1

I had mine like Young Ed with the exception that I did not have the ignition interrupt since I was running an HEI distributor. I also had my kickdown switch in the car mounted to the bottom lip of the dash. There was a hole already in the dash that the switch fit perfectly in below the push start button. When I wanted to kick down out of OD I would just reach under and push the button with my left hand. No flooring the throttle to kickdown which always seemed a bit counter-intuitive to me.  

I had a 1964 International Travelall with an R 10 Overdrive stock. I absolutely loved it and the way it worked.

Of course I had to know everything about it so I could recognize the parts.

It was equipped with a Delco "Window Distributor" which I thought was very desirable. It needed a tune up so I installed a Perlux ignition, coil, 8mm spark plug wires and an MSD HEI cap & rotor.

I mention this because I did hook up the ignition wire from the Overdrive relay and it functioned like the car had a point type ignition with zero ill effects.

The purpose of the wire is to momentarily cause an open circuit at the ignition coil in order to relieve the pressure on the drive train to aid in shifting the Overdrive. It preserves the Overdrive by smoothing out the action of shifting.

If you analyze the electrical action the coil simply does not get a ground for the briefest of time and therefore misses a spark cycle.

But the driver does not perceive a miss.

I've pretty much convinced myself the stock wiring is the only way to use these things.

Also I like the Mopar mounting of the kick down switch on the carburetor instead of through the floor board like most every other car maker.

The bracket is super simple but the real issue is the tab on the carburetor throttle...if the carb doesn't have it you'll have to make one to weld, braise or bolt on.

So from my experience you can have an HEI ignition and use the original Overdrive wiring.