Build card request

greg g

On the POC face book page, there is a printable PDF file which you can print, fill out and send in.  I will see if I can find it and paste the link, or if some one finds it first you can paste the link.  The post says it under menu.  I haven't looked for it yet and I'm on the way out the door for an appointment.

I did my 39 Desoto several years ago prior to the Mercedie merger.  It was well worth the cost.  I received a copy of the original build sheet and found the date that the car came off the assembly line, specifications on the car the dealership that the car was delivered to  and some factory pictures.

Then I was able to find the great grandson of the original dealership and they now are a school bus company out her in Exton PA, the Wolfington Bus company.  I had the great pleasure of having a one on one meeting with the great grandson and we talked about the dealership and how they produced some customized cars and how they borrowed the craftsman  from the Durham body works company that was located in Bryw Mawr Pa.  The Durham body works facility is still being used today as a Ferrari dealership in Brwy Mawr, PA.  This was one of the top custom  shops in the greater Philadelphia because of being on the Main Line where all of the major Blue Bloods and wealthy families lived just outside of Philadelphia.

It is nice to know the history of your car.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe you pay anymore.  Here's the information from their website.

Historical Services:

Due to the high volume of requests, Historical Services requests that all inquiries be submitted by mail or fax. With all requests, please provide your name, contact information and specific request. A confirmation email or letter will not be sent.

Address:

Historical Services

12501 Chrysler Freeway

CIMS: 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

Fax: 313-252-2928

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-us/footer/pages/contacts.aspx

• Like 1

Well, I am pooched.  They want a copy of proof of ownership with the serial number of the vehicle.  My title shows the engine number.  They state they cannot search on engine or body numbers.  Thing is the 51 has a VIN, but for whatever reason back in the day Texas used the engine number instead.

guess everyone in Georgia would be similarly screwed as you...Ga state will NOT issue a title to a vehicle 62 and older EVEN IF you bought it with a title from another state......this is regardless of body or engine number used.  BUT, and I am not sure how it would apply to them, reciprocity says that if I sold said vehicle to a title state....the receiving state must supply title on bill of sale and hopefully a registration card of vehicle in question hopefully in the seller's name.  It can be a bear, but does work out..GA has a form they supply to other states outlining this agreement being in effect.   This even applies to broken chain titles 1985 and older.  

Now not sure how effective this will be...but hopefully the engine number is of the original to the car and as such, this number is stamped on the frame driver's side at the tip up of the rear arch for the axle.  

RE:  Proof of Ownership

I received 7 build cards from the CHS a few weeks ago, and in each case, I submitted a bill of sale with the truck serial number.  These bills of sale all had signatures from the previous owners with dates of the original transactions, some over 10 years ago...I say signatures because of the runaround I endured trying to secure a lost title for my '49 1-ton that involved my county registrar's office, the area TXDoT ofc, TX DPS, my insurance company, and a dubious automotive appraiser...along the way, I had a DPS detective explain how the auto title system is supposed to work, and finally a knowledgeable clerk at TXDoT (a rare breed indeed) clued me in on the paperwork.  She splained to me the form I needed to fill out, and said multiple times that she just needed to see a signature on the previous owner's line, because when it comes to the low-volume of antique vehicles compared to modern vehicles that are more subject to theft and fraud, the state only wants to collect taxes on them...I've had the conversation on a few occasions about documentation validity, but the bottom line is whose requirements are ya trying to satisfy when the burden of proof is only looking for a signature to obtain a document confirming ownership on a transaction that was not witnessed first-hand by a state employee attached to the governing agency...in the case of the Chrysler Historical Society, they do not know if you sold your pride and joy to your neighbor for $10 on Arbor Day 22 yrs ago to satisfy the terms of a bar bet, then bought it back from him for $15 after a wild weekend of tree planting, as long as his signature is on a bill of sale with the serial number and dated accurately, the CHS views that bill of sale as proof of ownership...if that neighbor is not  available for confirmation cuz he's taking a dirt nap 5 counties over is immaterial...the signed bill of sale + possession of property are considered adequate proof of ownership unless a valid title exists that contradicts information on the bill of sale, but as far as I know, the CHS is not interested in arbitration of some kind of ownership settlement, just supplying build card information :cool:

Reading between the lines is becoming a lost art...CHS accepts a bill of sale with a serial number and signature of the previous owner as proof of ownership, so I was able to produce one for each truck as required, made a grainy copy of each at the library, and stuck'm in the mail with a handwritten request...

What info is included on a Build Card? Just trying to decide if it is worth $55 to request one for my P15.

Anyone have a scan of a build card they can share with us to show us what it looks like?

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Sam Buchanan