My little helper

Bob Riding

Who said the next generation isn't interested in the hobby- my 7 year old granddaughter asked me the other night if she could help me "work on the old cars". We immediately went out to the shop while I was frantically thinking of things for her to do that would be fun and not dangerous. I got some 1/4" bolts, washers and nuts and had her tighten them on the intake manifold of a 218 I have on an engine stand. I showed her how the open end wrench works, righty-tighty,lefty-loosey, and how a lock-washer works. She did a great job..Needless to say, I am getting her a set of tools for Christmas!. 

Any suggestions for projects that she could "help" me with?. I have 2 Suburbans (a '52 and a '56) in various stages of destruction.

IMG_7477.JPG

• Like 5

Giving tools to girls for Christmas never went to well for me!

My exes ( maybe something there?) just somehow did not see the practicability of the very thoughtful gift (I thought)...??  Should have got to them sooner.

DJ   ?

I think it is great that your granddaughter is showing interest in your old cars. Get her out there whenever you can. Get her  a simple set of tools as you plan. Girls need to know how to use basic tools just like guys need to learn to cook. They will still be girls and boys but with an added skill set that is important.

Regarding jobs she could do, I would suggest anything that involves nuts and bolts. Simple to do and satisfying when done. Once my grandsons are a bit older, I plan on buying them a different kind of set of tools every Christmas. Using tools is a necessary skill for everyone.

• Like 2

As for jobs, how about checking air pressure in the tires, checking and adding fluids, inspecting the air filter, and changing if needed (no tools for many vehicles), cleaning battery terminals, anything involving nuts & bolts (that you've already loosened). ?

• Like 1

The first time I remember working on a car was about that age.  Dad had an old Olds that had the long narrow 6v battery.  Located on the driver's side down low almost on the frame rail.  Right below and behind was the dimmer switch, which was bad.  Dad took the battery out, put me down there to remove the switch under his direction.  He couldn't reach it but I was small enough to fit my body and hands into the space.

Anyway, think of things they can do that will help them learn, be somewhat fun and not too destructive.  If doing body work, sanding always needed, and if wet sanding even better, in warm weather.  Washing, scrapping, general cleaning on body or frame parts is fun to if done in short sessions.  You may have to redo some, but still fun activity.   Most any maintenance , greasing, oil or filter changes etc have tasks they can do.  Pour the oil in, (of course that involves Granddad wiping up spills, but oh well), screw the drain plug in (you torque or let them use a click wrench),  etc.

Some of mine are interested, some not at all.  girls more than boys!

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

The first time I remember working on a car was about that age.  Dad had an old Olds that had the long narrow 6v battery.  Located on the driver's side down low almost on the frame rail.  Right below and behind was the dimmer switch, which was bad.  Dad took the battery out, put me down there to remove the switch under his direction.  He couldn't reach it but I was small enough to fit my body and hands into the space.

Maybe he could have done it just fine, but was just trying to get you hooked early in life.....  (It apparently worked.)

What seems to help maintain their interest is explaining why some of the things they are helping with need to be done, or why you are doing them (cosmetic resto, improvement/upgrade, etc., because sometimes they also learn "not broke, don't fix" quickly, and catch onto "make-work", which can turn them off).  Doesn't have to be an in depth technical explanation, like Einstein said, "If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't know it well enough."  Often something "really important" that only they can help with means a lot to them.  You know your tykes best, and what will keep them interested. 

I like to lay out something like the carb, or backing plate, or show them the movement of the pistons when the head is off, etc so they see what is inside. Quick sometimes short glimpses of how things work. Sometimes I just have them help me move something so they get a feel for weight and size. A picture is worth a thousand words. 

I took them to the BBQ one year. They still talk about that.

We gave her her Christmas present early

Yesterday we worked on installing the radiator hoses on the '52 Suburban. I didn't have any hose clamps, but thought this would be a great learning experience. She dragged the garden hose to the front of the wagon and proceeded to fill up the radiator. When water started to dribble out of the bottom hose, she immediately pinpointed the leak - I squeezed the hose at that location with my hand and it stopped. I asked her what we should do and she pulled some small zip ties that came with her tool set and asked if they would stop the leak. They were too tiny to even fit around the hose, but I had a longer stainless tie used around exhaust insulation and had her try to pull it tight with her pink pliers. The regular pliers didn't work, so she tried the needle nose, also a failure- it still leaked. Later we went to the auto parts store and got the right size mission clamps which she tightened with her screw driver. Success! Later I overheard her talking with her little friend and explaining that cars run on water! I guess we should discuss the fuel system next ?

71QccnDTvrL._SL1100_.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started my two boys fairly early.  They came in really handy especially with their small hands.  Now when the grandsons are around I get an hours work out of them before the 4 wheelers come out.  Sometimes it is picking up sticks and sometimes it is working on an old car but they have to work a little.  

One of them complained to his dad that he didn't think it was fair to make them work.  His dad said that he'd had to do it and that they were going to have to do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

I started my two boys fairly early.  They came in really handy especially with their small hands.  Now when the grandsons are around I get an hours work out of them before the 4 wheelers come out.  Sometimes it is picking up sticks and sometimes it is working on an old car but they have to work a little.  

One of them complained to his dad that he didn't think it was fair to make them work.  His dad said that he'd had to do it and that they were going to have to do it.

Good for you. Kids never thank you at the time.20 years later if you did it right. Carry on!