Radio Project

JSabah

I know some of you may cringe at this but, I’ve decided that because it was expensive to have the original radio fixed (and even fore to convert and I understand complicated to use), I would make it into a project. Since I don’t listen to am anyway, I’ve decided to install a Bluetooth amplifier so that music can be streamed from my phone and so that I can take and make phone calls. But I want the car to look original and have minimal equipment showing. So.....

I gutted the radio except for the buttons/mechanisms, lights, and the knobs. I cleaned the glass and face and installed a micro switch that is activated with one of the buttons (and turned off with any other) and located where I’ll be installing a relay. Speakers (2 x 3 1/2” ) will be where the original was and possibly 2 in the back of the passenger compartment) I’m waiting for the amp and speakers and till post updates if anyone is interested. Here are some progress pics (sorry I don’t know how to arrange them in order )

4CFEEB8B-EB4B-4DFD-B38D-EA33505A698A.jpeg

66EAA6B3-7D49-4160-A533-9E8A7AD6483D.jpeg

75922569-280B-46B8-ACD1-70A736917BB8.jpeg

C3FAB2D8-5108-4322-8505-7CAADE7E1A38.jpeg

FCD5F84D-1E14-41DB-ABFC-A9FD44DBEE31.jpeg

I'm telling you, there is enough room in there to fit the guts of an x-box or to build out a mini computer.  You can run a larger amplifier to push more speakers if you want because these are made much smaller these days.    If you can preserve the external look then this is awesome.  

If you decide to much more speakers, you can run the speaker wires with the wire harness and you can exit where you want to set your speakers.  If you don't want to cut into the interior for more speakers than the one up front, you can make boxes covered with your interior fabric.  I'm doing something similar and I'm using the original speaker location for a center speaker then creating false sidewalls under the dash for left and right.  I'm putting the rear speakers into the arm rests of the rear seat and thinking about a base box mounted to the back side of the back seat.  

I was thinking of putting 2 speakers 3.5” speakers I. The center where the original was - maybe trying to angle them out a bit. But now that you mention it, there are upholstered kick panels in front of the front doors that would work nicely too. As for speakers in the back, I was thinking of running wires in the headliner so  they aren’t on the floor - my B,C and D pillars are solid as this in in a 49 Plymouth woodie. I don’t know much about subwoofers but maybe that wits can be run with the harness and pop up under the middle seat

Did more or less the same thing. I used a blue tooth radio with a remote. Mounted it high behind the speaker grill so the remote pick-up was in line of sight for the remote (but not readily visible unless you're really looking for it). Speakers in the kick panels. Used the remote to operate radio. Original buttons and dials just for show.

Just bought a bluetooth adapter,never thought to test it with an amplifier. I tried it on my shop stereo, and it works great. 
its about the size of a deck of cards. May have to consider setting it up in my truck. 

i used a booster/equalizer in my boat years ago,just plugged into my earphone jack. The eq was stowed away so all that was exposed was the cord. 

Did something similar to my 51, but it's a radio delete car.  So I fabbed up some adapters out of oak to let me put a set of 5x7's in the rear shelf and I am using a Pyle marine BT amp to run them.  It works decent but until I get new weatherstripping hi fidelity is not on the plate.

40 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Did something similar to my 51, but it's a radio delete car.  So I fabbed up some adapters out of oak to let me put a set of 5x7's in the rear shelf and I am using a Pyle marine BT amp to run them.  It works decent but until I get new weatherstripping hi fidelity is not on the plate.

...in the beginning his ride was devoid of sound and on the first day he installed a sound system and then there was sound.  He listened to this sound and said, "This is good." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, no, no.  this is the Plymouth forum:  Benny Goodman, Stompin' at the Savoy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjLsuvDgr7mAhXGUs0KHZwnDrgQ3ywwAnoECAsQIQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5ky8I_H2RVM&usg=AOvVaw3Wkn9pNHEa27jQXvNGNf8T

My engine came out of a P26, which could have been a savoy, so I'll be stompin at the savoy...once its running of course.

Edited by NickPickToo

• 4 weeks later...

Tested my setup today. Seems to work great.  Micro switch Is positioned to get depressed by the 1st station button (all/any of the others disengage the micro switch ). That switch triggers a relay which powers the Bluetooth amp and dial lights. I decided to install 2 speakers in the footwell sides and a mono speaker as a center channel for fill-in. Since the center channel is tapped off the front right positive and left negative, I installed a volume control for the center speaker so that if can be adjusted independently. 

C71D86C6-98C6-4C13-9FC5-B19B1237A393.jpeg

A1D6ABAF-C0A8-498C-BFDE-9B71CB53B196.jpeg

2F76271E-DDDA-46B0-9997-37201CF4148D.jpeg

• Like 1