Rim size

Doug&Deb

Can someone with a 48 D-24 check their service manual to see what size rims are called for? My 52 Coronet came with police wheels. I replaced them with what I believe are D-24 wheels. I’m supposed to have 15x5 rims. If I’m measuring correctly these are 15x4.5. They work fine but I’m trying to find one more for a spare tire and I want it to match size wise.

my D24 shop manual states 4.00 x 16 as standard for D24 less the 7 pass. model.....now there is no date on the book, it is a factory reproduction by Roberts Motor Parts...there is always that question if the book fully covers few changes for the last year of production.  .

be sure your spare has the clips for the hubcap...the police wheels should really have no negative effect on your suspension GIVEN you adjusted the caster for the needed positive value as they are not an extreme positive offset.   I have bias ply on my 54 in the tune WWW's in both stock issue size and white wall diameter....had I not got such a super deal on these new tires I would not have them today...I would have gone with radials.   The bias WWW's are quite the initial outlay in cash. 

15 x 5 is the correct original rim size for '48 D24.  Your car, so your choice on tires, you won't get grief from us,  but you should not fret about loads from radial tires.  Bias ply tires put a good deal more stress on the suspension than radials do.  There is a reason cars engineered for bias plies can run radials, but cars engineered for radials can not, and should not, be run on bias plies.  I have a first hand experience story about that, too.  Back in the '90s, the agency I worked for used quite a few Ford Broncos as cruisers.  The Sector I worked in decided to save money and buy a truck load of bias ply tires (we went/go through a lot of tires in the desert southwest) for those Broncos.  Use of those tires greatly reduced the capability of the trucks - in all realms, and exponentially reduced their lifespan, they were all junk within two years, (suspensions, primarily) when we usually took five to six years before they were "trashed".  (The Border Patrol is by default hard on patrol vehicles.)  Of course, the wiz that recommended those tires, and convinced management to buy them,  got an award for saving so much money...on tires.  No one brought up the damage they caused in the long run, except us Nugs in the field, but that was back when what we said didn't matter very much.  But a lesson was learned (for a while, anyway) about using proper equipment.  I certainly carried it forward when I got into that management. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

If I could figure out how to keep the full wheel covers from popping off I’d keep the police wheels on the car. I’ve bent the tabs out to the point that I have to really hammer the caps on. Doesn’t help. I don’t like the look of the poverty caps on the slotted wheels but they don’t fall off. Of course I’m running D-24 caps now which isn’t correct either. I wish the previous owner had kept it stock. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

If I could figure out how to keep the full wheel covers from popping off I’d keep the police wheels on the car. I’ve bent the tabs out to the point that I have to really hammer the caps on. Doesn’t help. I don’t like the look of the poverty caps on the slotted wheels but they don’t fall off. Of course I’m running D-24 caps now which isn’t correct either. I wish the previous owner had kept it stock. Oh well.

Put a dab of clear silicone on the tabs.