ID a trans stamping?

James_Douglas

Hi All,

Anyone ID the trans stamping in the photo?

This is the 1954 Chrysler Powerflite trans I purchased from a man in Canada. I expected to see a "C" dash and a car model. I have never seen an "I" dash before.  There is no doubt it is an early powerflite. I just wonder did Canada built Chrysler's use a different model code ID.

Anyone?

Thanks, James.IMG_2773.JPG.4048a9c2e08798efcfd6145e42726248.JPG

Edited by James_Douglas

Hi Greg, I did hit the Forward Look Site. Not too much on them there that I did not already know. The later big blue Motors car manuals have a fair amount in them with later "Service Notes" that will be helpful as to running changes.

One thing I noticed is that when they came out with the Powerflte, they used a converter with TWO stators. They only did this for about a year and changed it over to a single stator.

I could not find out much on why. As a general rule, as far as I can find out, two stator converters can have the down side of being  expensive to produce , suffered excessive slippage and poor reliability. Since this is a early trans, it is likely to have the two stator converter.  My question is why did Chrylser drop it? was it the cost? I doubt it was a reliability problem or it would have shown up in a service bulletin telling dealers to swap it out. I have all those years bulletin's and nothing about that.  Could it be excessive slippage?

I wish I could run down the answer. A two stator converter does provide torque multiplication over a longer band of RPM, that is the good part of using them. If it was a cost issues then there is no reason for me to swtich it out and every reason to keep it with the flathead six. If it is one of the other two reasons...then I should think about switching it out.

This will take some serious digging.

James.