1941dodge luxury liner speedometer

Flatheadgasser

Hi guys my speedometer on my 41 dodge has just started to play up, I took the cable off and lubricated it as it was a bit sticky,  now it spins easily but as I drive down the road it makes a loud noise and the needle bounces around and then stops and then bounces around so I stopped and removed the cable, my question is do you think it could be the cable or the speedometer. 

I have the same issue with the speedometer in my P15 Plymouth.  I'm convinced the problem is in the speedometer itself, because the needle often will not return to zero when stopped, and will sometimes indicate speeds far in excess of my actual speed..  From what I've found on searching the forum/google, I think the culprit is the return? spring in the speedometer.  I decided to circumvent the problem by utilizing my cell phone/speedometer app.  I fabricated a piece of plexiglas, and a strip of velcro to position the cell phone in front of the speedometer, that can quickly be removed for a cruise-in/show.  It bothers me that the speedometer isn't working, but removing it for repair isn't something I'm interested in doing at the moment.

there is a wick on the speedo head just at top and forward of the cable attaching nut...place a few drops of 10W instrument oil here (not 3-N-1) garbage that jells later.  Could be your inner housing is kinked in a place or has had a sharper than normal turn and could well be worn inside and needs replaced