318 Maybe

bambamshere

On 1/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, bambamshere said:

All honesty what would be the best thing to do here for the motor mounts. I would like to by a welder. Not sure what make or model. I may get the one on Amazon not sure. Guess in the end it is my money lol. I will need the accessories but I can by these through the coming months. The helmet does anyone know about that auto darkening. Would that be a good thing to have. I have seen them as much as $200 and as low as $40. I will figure the rest out.

Thanks for all suggestions so far 

I frequent a couple of the Portland auction houses and find new auto-darkening helmets for $10-$20. No need to pay hundreds, especially since they all come from china...

A quick web check shows several auction companies in Manitoba, you might make a few inquiries about upcoming auctions. Yes, bidding at auctions can get crazy, just show some restraint....

...If you drive back into Canada with a welder in your truck do you have to jump through hoops or, was it in your truck when you left home...?

I bought the $20 weldmark hood from a guy who got it when he purchased a new welder ... I had some issues I thought a better hood would fix.

So when I saw the $150 forney hood on sale I grabbed it, had the nice eagle paint job and the American flag theme etc...

My welding still sucked. Real issue is poor lighting in my shop, so I turn down the sensitivity adjustment on the helmet and end up with flash burn on the eyes.

Nothing wrong with the helmet, except for user error.

What I find interesting, the weldmark hood which has a good user rating, fits better. Is more comfortable to wear then the more expensive forney hood.

The forney the window is a bit to high or the hood itself sits to high on my head, raising the window up, so for me is a lot of wasted sight space of a already small limited sight area. I see no way to adjust it and lower it. Probably great if welding overhead all day. But it just feels awkward when wearing it.

Just something to look at when selecting a helmet.

There is nothing wrong with hiring and paying for someone else's welding experience.

And you can appreciate their prices better, when you realize the cost of the equipment and time they have tied up.

6 hours ago, wayfarer said:

I frequent a couple of the Portland auction houses and find new auto-darkening helmets for $10-$20. No need to pay hundreds, especially since they all come from china...

A quick web check shows several auction companies in Manitoba, you might make a few inquiries about upcoming auctions. Yes, bidding at auctions can get crazy, just show some restraint....

...If you drive back into Canada with a welder in your truck do you have to jump through hoops or, was it in your truck when you left home...?

I bought one of these; 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Solar-Auto-Darkening-Welding-Helmet-Arc-Tig-Mig-Mask-Grinding-Welder-Hood-US/272414063844?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Mostly because I just couldn't believe they could be any good and just wanted to see for myself.  Works great!  The helmet is sort of light weight but the headgear is exellent.  Has adjustable dimming delay and shade.

1 minute ago, kencombs said:

I bought one of these; 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Solar-Auto-Darkening-Welding-Helmet-Arc-Tig-Mig-Mask-Grinding-Welder-Hood-US/272414063844?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Mostly because I just couldn't believe they could be any good and just wanted to see for myself.  Works great!  The helmet is sort of light weight but the headgear is exellent.  Has adjustable dimming delay and shade.

I hear you can buy googles now that are auto darkening

I see it was a ad. I went on Kijiji to look for it not there. I searched Canada but thank you 

I am not in a panic to get this done. I open engine up the other day. Got to get a few things for it. I will continue to look for stuff. 

Thanks everyone for the help. May still need a couple things for welder. 

Engine isn't bad or anything just need water pump and gaskets and a real good cleaning. Maybe paint, paint is good. 

47 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

Go on kijiji. Type in 318 and search it. Top o the page. Last help im offering. All you need to do is get spool mounts. Cheap. 

CD9D90E4-3E3B-406E-BFCC-AD2EA6245B1A.png

With a bit of a google search I found them. Thanks will buy them tomorrow 

ok this has probably been answered but. Ok so I buy these motor mounts. Since my steering box is outside the frame. Does there really need to be a offset. Think this is what is really screwing me up. I get it if it was on the inside of the frame but mine is on the outside. 20180525_203217.jpg.cc9db89d110b304e8725126309f0d21f.jpg

Edited by bambamshere

Totally forgot I had this picture of the front end of truck. Frame rails and where the steering box and motor are sitting. I know it a 6 and not a 8. See where the 2 holes are the one that are single by where the fender bolts in to frame. I wonder

20200112_131429[1].jpg

Edited by bambamshere