318 Maybe

bambamshere

Watch some youtube videos,arc and mig welding. Learning about the different processes will be helpful,understanding the weld puddle will make it that much easier. Horizontal vs vertical. Multi pass, preheating and much much more all waiting for you.  

i started with oxy/acetylene and brazing panels on. 
we all were beginners, have to start somewhere!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

Ok why just tell me WHY? Who says I don't want to learn a new skill. This is getting ridiculous already. All I asked was if anyone knew of anyone that knew that fabed these motor mounts. I have gotten the you don't have a welder speech to I don't care about my vehicle to now I don't want to learn a new skill. 

Obviously I am not welcome on this site because this seems to happen in a lot of my posts. 

Maybe it is me and I'm not asking the right questions

That is not true at all. You've gotten much advice. Just gotta decide if you want to find someone locally to do them for you since they don't exist or invest in a welder and learn. 

Bam I think the problem is that us mopar freaks are always at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to aftermarket and reproduction parts so we become fabricators from necessity. If you want to buy some steel and an angle grinder and make parts with he help of a local mobile welder try posting on the hamb or looking around your area for a guy that you can call when you’re ready to have a batch of stuff zipped together. Or mail them to me with a bottle of rye and return postage. 

I doubt you will find bolt on stuff unless you are doing the s-10 frame swap or adapting parts from that company. They are the only aftermarket motor and frame swap folks I know of that’s mail order. 

Good luck and stick around the more the merrier

rdr

• Like 2

The reason I personally want to do my own fab work is time.  Small jobs like your motor mounts won’t be given priority at most shops.  Just not enough money in it to put others aside. So you wait.  A task that you or I can do in a couple of hours becomes a week or more before we can move on to the next step.  I’d never get anything completed!!!

time saved gets things done.  Of course there’s also the money saved!

you can and should expect to differing opinions when you ask thousands of people for information.  It’s up to each of us to pick the path best suited to our skills,budget, time and need. 

sort through them, thank people for taking the time, and do what you need to do.  

down off the soap box now

Edited by kencombs

So I'm looking at mig welders and no not on Amazon but Lincoln and Miller wow expensive. Oh well you get what you pay for. 

Now pricing this stuff out. Not only the welder. But the gas and tank. Ya I know I can use flux core but that splatters. Now for helmet which one is better? How much does that cost. Welders jacket don't want to be burned and gloves. And on and on and on it goes. What after taxes about $1000.00 

And the kicker is I still don't have the stupid motor mounts made. Ugh

• Like 1

Think of all the money you can make doing odd job welding repairs on the neighbor's stuff.

I sometimes have that $$$ problem.

Go talk to your local welding supply guys to answer some of your questions.

You don't need to feel pressured to buy anything from them.

If you have a couple different dealers see them both.

A LWS (local welding Store) can be of more help and guidance than here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bambamshere said:

So I'm looking at mig welders and no not on Amazon but Lincoln and Miller wow expensive. Oh well you get what you pay for. 

Now pricing this stuff out. Not only the welder. But the gas and tank. Ya I know I can use flux core but that splatters. Now for helmet which one is better? How much does that cost. Welders jacket don't want to be burned and gloves. And on and on and on it goes. What after taxes about $1000.00 

This is way I suggest a second hand stick welder. I don`t know how big Manitoba is but here for less than $50 I`d have something.

Gloves and helmet yes. Jacket, the only time I`d wear a jacket is in production situations. 8-12 hr a day stuff.  A cotton long sleave work shirt is fine. Cotton trousers and cotton or wool socks. NEVER wear synthetic stuff at all welding or grinding. 

As mention check the local welding shops they might have something secondhand. I prefer to deal with a local supplier. It might be a bit more expensive but it gives you somewhere to go if things go wrong.

Tony   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I'm sure there is a local "guy" who could fab up the parts you want for a good price (cheaper than a welder for sure) and you can get back on track.  I know my neighbor has a business doing exactly that.  You just have to find a local "guy".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lincoln miller and hobart are all good welders. 
welding jacket is a must. i use it more often than not. 
helmet, under 100 gets a workable electronic helmet. 

local welding shop charges 80/hour here, likely 100/hour in winnipeg. 
i surfed the local buy and sell, in my opinion right now its overpriced or junk. 

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

I'm sure there is a local "guy" who could fab up the parts you want for a good price (cheaper than a welder for sure) and you can get back on track.  I know my neighbor has a business doing exactly that.  You just have to find a local "guy".

Some places I've lived I couldn't find a welder or fab shop within 50 miles.  Other places, like here in Richmond, I've got an old time machinist 4 miles up the road, a fab/welding shop 7 miles away and mirid of other handy outfits within 20 miles.  Oddly I can't find a starter/generator repair shop anywhere!

In bambabmshere's situation I'd try to find a local shop.  Even if he spends $200 on mounts he's money ahead and can use the other $800 on parts for his truck.  As much as I like to fabricate things sometimes it's just easier to have a professional do the work and move on, I do that from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a mill, lathe, 3 or 4 welders and heaven knows how many other tools and know how to use them.  Each situation is unique.  Only bambabmshere knows what's best for his situation.

Brad

Edited by bkahler

I was pricing new stuff years ago, went down to a local welder's supply shop and talked to them, whaddaya know they just took in on trade from the high school a dozen very lightly used Miller Thunderbolt 225 XL AC/DC units...can weld big steel down to sheet metal, just needed to pull the covers, clean and lubricate, shelled out 300 for welder, rods, helmet gloves, etc.  But more importantly, the guys at the welder's supply knew all of the local welders, so before I taught myself how to weld, braze, etc I called the pros up 1st...some blew me off, most would quote prices, a few did small jobs for cash in between their big customers :cool:

My 2 cents on buying a welder, from a guy who bubble gum welds at best  :P

I like the idea of the multi process welders offered today. I bought the forney mp190 welder.

https://www.forneyind.com/products/welding/mig/mig-machines/forney-190-mp-welder-3-in-1-multiple-welding-processes

Pretty sure you will need a welder that runs off of 220 volts to weld steel for motor mounts. A 110 mig welder will not be enough umph to get er did.

The cost of your welder just went up when you remove the 110 volt machines from the list.

The welding machine will be the heart of your abilities, you can buy the base machine and capable of stick & flux core out of the box.

Later you can add the gas bottle for mig welding .... $400 for me by the time purchase the bottle and fill it.

Then you can add tig, the gun and pedal setup from forney is another $550, and then purchase another bottle of gas and fill it.

Going to need a decent cart that will hold 2 bottles and you can roll it around, or you can weld up your own ;)

Your going to need various clamps and magnets and spacers oh my.

Of course you need the safety gear, I bought a brand new helmet from a local guy for $20 (came with his new welder and had his own professional helmet)

I later bought a $150 forney helmet to improve my welding, actually like the $20 helmet better.

In the end, this machine here is about $700, and will be close to the cheapest part of the complete welding setup.

But I wont be selling it in 2 years to upgrade to a better machine, I will just keep adding to it. til I get everything I want.

To be fair, A professional this machine would not be enough. But around the home shop for hobbyist, may be all you ever need.

Edit: For got to add, once you start basic mig,stick welding, your going to want to add oxy/acetylene for cutting, brazing, gas welding

image.png.22469d3a787d6f11deb52b56b430541d.png

Edited by Los_Control
  • Thanks 1

lmao I just read a article in local paper. They just installed noise cameras in my city. If your vehicle goes past a certain noise volume the camera takes a picture and they send you a ticket. it is apparently a direct result of Sunday night cruise.  

• Sad 2

yeah, I can see this going over well...the average HD rider will get tons of summons if this is true.  2 cylinders, 10 times the noise...I visualize selective enforcement...this would be a good community watch group project for the concerned citizens of the area....I am not picking on any particular group of cycle riders, just speaking some truths...now back to the shop, nothing like the smell of body filler in the morning....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

yeah, I can see this going over well...the average HD rider will get tons of summons if this is true.  2 cylinders, 10 times the noise...I visualize selective enforcement...this would be a good community watch group project for the concerned citizens of the area....I am not picking on any particular group of cycle riders, just speaking some truths...now back to the shop, nothing like the smell of body filler in the morning....

I I could blame particular group also but I think it was this generation of kids that have these stupid inport cars that can't stop pressing the gas pedal. Load popping from rev limiters or what ever   

Blame it on technology being used to generate income for our cities.

Leaving cops more time to eat donuts and get fat.

Cities raking in more and more cash.

33 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Blame it on technology being used to generate income for our cities.

Leaving cops more time to eat donuts and get fat.

Cities raking in more and more cash.

Eat donuts hahahahahahahahahahahaha not in my city. Police are out there sometimes getting there man for not stopping at stop sign for 3 seconds or a couple years back it was for not having enough window pee in the container. They make tons of money.

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I had a very applicable you tube sent to me on similar subject....eye opener but many would think it is a political statement so will not duplicate the link here....I could just say WOW

Hey Plymouthy Adams there is a link on your last post. It is tube. I fallowed it and it goes to headers on ebay. It says link added by VigLink

Edited by bambamshere

All honesty what would be the best thing to do here for the motor mounts. I would like to by a welder. Not sure what make or model. I may get the one on Amazon not sure. Guess in the end it is my money lol. I will need the accessories but I can by these through the coming months. The helmet does anyone know about that auto darkening. Would that be a good thing to have. I have seen them as much as $200 and as low as $40. I will figure the rest out.

Thanks for all suggestions so far 

Auto darkening is nice- when I first started a lot of my problems were just bad aim. The auto helmet lets you get your hands right and just pull the trigger. You’ll want to get set up and rehearse the movement a few times before going hot to get some muscle memory.

welding is a lot like painting- there is definitely skill in the actual welding but the difference between a sprayjob and a beautiful paintjob is in the preperation. Beautiful clean fresh shiny steel, proper fitment, chamfer, proper settings for heat and wirespeed on a mig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Eat donuts hahahahahahahahahahahaha not in my city. Police are out there sometimes getting there man for not stopping at stop sign for 3 seconds or a couple years back it was for not having enough window pee in the container. They make tons of money.

I hope you are joking.....but these days, would not be the least surprised...

35 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Hey Plymouthy Adams there is a link on your last post. It is tube. I fallowed it and it goes to headers on ebay. It says link added by VigLink

no, you saw a highlight driven by the forum software.....I hate header with a double passion unless they are factory on a vehicle..they belong in magazines or perhaps the trash can....(I have to make that statement as my Porsche has factory headers.....lol)