318 Maybe

bambamshere

2 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Here are the motor mounts you need.

And pic of steering box position and frame on C series trucks.20191221_090641_resized.jpg.8d72e8282adea6c7172f0dbccf68fa4d.jpg

20191221_090728_resized.jpg

This would be mine. It is a little cleaner now since I took this picture. It is something else I need to get rebuilt. Do you know if you can buy those motor mounts or do you need them made 

20180525_203217.jpg.cc9db89d110b304e8725126309f0d21f.jpg

This is what I am starting with this far. I know that it has been gone through a bit because all bolt are coming off way to easy. Exhaust manifolds have all brand new gaskets. It is a 2brl so I am going to buy new intake manifold and 4brl. I'm going to strip it down and find out what is in it for a cam. Maybe I will be lucky and someone has done the cam already. 

20191213_225612.jpg

20191217_140152.jpg

I may have those mounts kicking around, dont rush out and buy them. They are yours as i have no need for them. May need the insulators, but they are cheap. 
I dont go to wpg often,maybe once a month.  

Edited by Tooljunkie

1 minute ago, Tooljunkie said:

I may have those mounts kicking around, dont rush out and buy them. They are yours as i have no need for them. May need the insulators, but they are cheap. 
I dont go to wpg often,maybe once a month.  

Don't worry not like I am doing this tomorrow. Maybe next day like next Friday 4 months from now but not tomorrow. I have plans that I just found out about like 2 minutes ago. I could go on but then it would be considered babbling. Now who wants to be considered as babbler not me. But if you want I can keep going. I know that I am a good talker because my second cousin on my moms side 140th times removed told me so. lmao    

On 12/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, Charlie Stephenson said:

No, no, don't no and no.  I have 5 392 Hemi's and 16 in line flat head 6's. All of my 8's are on the floor. Charlie Stephenson

Hi Charlie can you expand on your post for us.

While the OP is contemplating a V8 swap with the honorable LA 318 others vote to say pure with the venerable flathead 6s.

I have in the past tossed around V8 swaps and even considered a Slant 6 swap.

But habe stuck it out with a flattie with dual carbs and exhaust.

My engine is a tired 228 stock, so nothing special.

My current build is a 265 bored .060, much hotter cam and again dual carbs and intake. I have not ruled out an Edgy head either.

This would give me lots of punch compared to a stock 218.

It will not be a race engine or even a hot door slammer.

It reeks of Kool and keeps things simple.

Do not under estimate a hot 265 engine...lol

20171201_124803_resized_1.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo

No problem. I will wait until the last blizzard of the year to go trudging around to look for them. 
if i come across them in my travels i will put them in my shop where they will never be seen again... 

right beside the stubby flat screwdriver i have been missing for months...

Babbling threads....?

Great name for them.

That

Just now, Dodgeb4ya said:

Babbling threads....?

Great name for them.

You can use the name if you so choose as long as I get at least 1% of the credit. I don't need to much credit. Its all you now. Have fun with it. Put it on t-shirts. Something like "I Have Babbling Threads" Ok maybe not sounds like some sort of disease. Go in to hospital what are you here for. I think I have the Babbling Threads. Ok I'm done now lol

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo said:

Hi Charlie can you expand on your post for us.

While the OP is contemplating a V8 swap with the honorable LA 318 others vote to say pure with the venerable flathead 6s.

I have in the past tossed around V8 swaps and even considered a Slant 6 swap.

But habe stuck it out with a flattie with dual carbs and exhaust.

My engine is a tired 228 stock, so nothing special.

My current build is a 265 bored .060, much hotter cam and again dual carbs and intake. I have not ruled out an Edgy head either.

This would give me lots of punch compared to a stock 218.

It will not be a race engine or even a hot door slammer.

It reeks of Kool and keeps things simple.

Do not under estimate a hot 265 engine...lol

20171201_124803_resized_1.jpg

I was actually looking for duel carb setup for my 251. When I started searching I could only find for the 23" block and not the 25" block. Then I started looking at the V8s

28 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

That

You can use the name if you so choose as long as I get at least 1% of the credit. I don't need to much credit. Its all you now. Have fun with it. Put it on t-shirts. Something like "I Have Babbling Threads" Ok maybe not sounds like some sort of disease. Go in to hospital what are you here for. I think I have the Babbling Threads. Ok I'm done now lol

Too much babbling...time to get on with serious business at hand

My 54 C-1-C had the steering box outside the frame rail if I remember properly? Like the last pic by 55 fargo? 

I do remember that my frame rails curved or pinched in to follow the inner fenders like in that pic. 

The earlier pics 55 Fargo posted of the installed v8 it looks like the rails are straight and the steering box is inside the rails? 

Is this B vs C series? Am I remembering wrong?

On 12/20/2019 at 6:03 PM, bambamshere said:

Problem with my Hemi at least is before I can do anything with it I have to install sleeves. I bought so I could install it in truck. but sleeves at least where I am from sleeves would cost me 2000 to 2500. Then I could start but if I am going to do sleeves may as well do pistons and that apparently is another 200 2500 before taxes  

You definately need a new shop.....a sleeve should be in the 100-125 range..

Eight sleeves??? Buy a new block  Even nice 392 blocks can be had for less than a grand.............

Forged pistons? $850..........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wayfarer said:

You definately need a new shop.....a sleeve should be in the 100-125 range..

Eight sleeves??? Buy a new block  Even nice 392 blocks can be had for less than a grand.............

Forged pistons? $850..........

Not sure what I will do with Hemi. Except not buying another one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, bambamshere said:

I'm guessing you made those motor mounts. I was on another site couple days back. Some guy was wondering why they don't or where to buy motor mounts to install the small block LA or big blocks in to these trucks. There is enough guys out there that are doing this still.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, 55 Fargo said:

Here are the motor mounts you need.

And pic of steering box position and frame on C series trucks.20191221_090641_resized.jpg.8d72e8282adea6c7172f0dbccf68fa4d.jpg

20191221_090728_resized.jpg

I have been searching for few days now to see if someone actually made the mounts for this engine swap. Nothing I can find. You think they would but no. 

Or make one for the front where the flat head 6 sits. Think that would be neat. 

Keep searching or get cardboard out or get a hold of one of these guys that have done it and see if they can make the motor mounts. Think it would be wise investment. 

job worth doing is worth doing yourself....Mopar V8 mounts are so so easy to make for a retrofit...even starting with a factory setup and a bit of slash and dash plus welding and bob's your uncle....you selling yourself short before you even try...get off the web and start making some real measurements...make a cardboard template or two...

21 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

job worth doing is worth doing yourself....Mopar V8 mounts are so so easy to make for a retrofit...even starting with a factory setup and a bit of slash and dash plus welding and bob's your uncle....you selling yourself short before you even try...get off the web and start making some real measurements...make a cardboard template or two...

See not sure if you read up there a bit. But I said I didn't know how to weld. I can pretty much do everything else except weld. Sure I could buy a welder but what is the point. I will use it once and it will sit there. So for me to say I need help on this one thing because I may ask for a lot of questions. I do everything myself because I don't have anyone that is willing to help in the physical part of this truck of mine. 

Old engine still in truck?

and front  fenders Still on?

as i sit here pondering what i would do, im thinking i would see if the  engine Cross member from a newer (70’s) chassis could be cut to fit between your frame rails. 
it may be possible to make it bolt in.

the 318 has to be dangling in the engine bay in order to  design mounts And crossmember. Getting 

driveline angles correct and clearance is important. 

Just now, Tooljunkie said:

Old engine still in truck?

and front  fenders Still on?

as i sit here pondering what i would do, im thinking i would see if the  engine Cross member from a newer (70’s) chassis could be cut to fit between your frame rails. 
it may be possible to make it bolt in.

the 318 has to be dangling in the engine bay in order to  design mounts And crossmember. Getting 

driveline angles correct and clearance is important. 

Right now the Flathead 6 is still in truck and the sides are still on it. It will probably be a project for next winter or may start this winter not sure. The 318 and tranny I am doing some work on right now so it will take a bit. But may as well start looking for that type of stuff now so when I do want to start it is there

52 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

See not sure if you read up there a bit. But I said I didn't know how to weld. I can pretty much do everything else except weld. Sure I could buy a welder but what is the point. I will use it once and it will sit there. So for me to say I need help on this one thing because I may ask for a lot of questions. I do everything myself because I don't have anyone that is willing to help in the physical part of this truck of mine. 

well, I will say this, if you plan to work these old cars and maintain them, a welder is surely handy...if you wish to upgrade/retrofit it is no longer just handy but a necessity.  If you do not fabricate and weld, well you can get the job done by farming it out but now you are spending more and getting less...and even with cost aside, the experience and satisfaction one gains from doing the work is lost altogether and in the end, why not just buy a turnkey unit.  I am probably a bit different from many, I would rather be working/building them than driving them any day of the week.  This is fun part of the hobby, anyone and I mean anyone can own and or buy an old car.  I do not mean this as a slam to anyone here....but I am sure we all know the guys who has these cars and could not tell you squat about them or how they came to be as they purchased them.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well, I will say this, if you plan to work these old cars and maintain them, a welder is surely handy...if you wish to upgrade/retrofit it is no longer just handy but a necessity.  If you do not fabricate and weld, well you can get the job done by farming it out but now you are spending more and getting less...and even with cost aside, the experience and satisfaction one gains from doing the work is lost altogether and in the end, why not just buy a turnkey unit.  I am probably a bit different from many, I would rather be working/building them than driving them any day of the week.  This is fun part of the hobby, anyone and I mean anyone can own and or buy an old car.  I do not mean this as a slam to anyone here....but I am sure we all know the guys who has these cars and could not tell you squat about them or how they came to be as they purchased them.

Ok I am not sure how we got from me asking for some one to fabricate motor mounts to buying a turnkey vehicle. You can get motor mounts for just about anything but these trucks. Anyways I get for some this stuff is easy. Not everyone one has a million dollar garages you can work out of. This truck was given to me and has been in family since new. Anyways before I say something stupid again. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Ok I am not sure how we got from me asking for some one to fabricate motor mounts to buying a turnkey vehicle. You can get motor mounts for just about anything but these trucks. Anyways I get for some this stuff is easy. Not everyone one has a million dollar garages you can work out of. This truck was given to me and has been in family since new. Anyways before I say something stupid again. 

In the family since new. That says a lot. I can respect that. 
although i dont know you, im offering to help in some way or another,as i like what i do. 
i know i have the mounts you desire somewhere around here, and 3 mid 70’s trucks i have been using as parts for various things. 

welding? I learned on my own out of necessity.

the welding part i may be able to assist, and we would have to work out some details. 

37 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

In the family since new. That says a lot. I can respect that. 
although i dont know you, im offering to help in some way or another,as i like what i do. 
i know i have the mounts you desire somewhere around here, and 3 mid 70’s trucks i have been using as parts for various things. 

welding? I learned on my own out of necessity.

the welding part i may be able to assist, and we would have to work out some details. 

Please take offer of parts or services off line via the personal message (PM) facility.