318 Maybe

bambamshere

Ok so bought a 318 and 904 Transmission. Think of putting it inside my truck. I not looking for a big hp upgrade but still want to do it. 

Why will be asked and it is because I like V8 and I also have a Hemi I am building but won't be ready for a few years. 

Anyways anybody installed one in a 1954 to 1956 Dodge or Fargo? Does anyone know if there is any motor mounts for it so it clears steering box? Does anyone know where one can go to read up on it? 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Which 318?  A or LA?  Early similar to A series where available in 55/56.  57-60 had A's as a option also, and same frame as 54 up.  Front mount varies by year.  If you use the 904, rear mounts will need to be made.

It is a LA out of 1970 Cuda

No, no, don't no and no.  I have 5 392 Hemi's and 16 in line flat head 6's. All of my 8's are on the floor. Charlie Stephenson

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

No, no, don't no and no.  I have 5 392 Hemi's and 16 in line flat head 6's. All of my 8's are on the floor. Charlie Stephenson

Ok so why so why why just why don't I want to do that. Little more of a explanation would be nice. I have seen it done by others but I want to know why you say know. 

many folks just like the fact the truck/car stay original....once changed they do lose some charm and appeal to many folks.  Precious few of these old cars and truck are endangered species but if all get changed they are threatened and that is the way many look at it.  To be honest...if it is your desire to go V8 then do so, only you have a dog in that fight.  Few folks here have done truck upgrades....they may add some tips on what to look out for.  The light frame of this truck will be well suited for the 318/904 combo.  Often the problem is so many start this conversion, never finish, can't return to stock and the vehicle gets abandoned....that is the one biggest obstacle/pitfall you must be aware of and not fall prey too.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Often the problem is so many start this conversion, never finish, can't return to stock and the vehicle gets abandoned....

For sure, I have seen that situation more times than I can recall.  Those projects are the ones to scoop up for a song after the guy succumbs to his wife's nagging about the pile of junk in the garage!  

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

many folks just like the fact the truck/car stay original....once changed they do lose some charm and appeal to many folks.  Precious few of these old cars and truck are endangered species but if all get changed they are threatened and that is the way many look at it.  To be honest...if it is your desire to go V8 then do so, only you have a dog in that fight.  Few folks here have done truck upgrades....they may add some tips on what to look out for.  The light frame of this truck will be well suited for the 318/904 combo.  Often the problem is so many start this conversion, never finish, can't return to stock and the vehicle gets abandoned....that is the one biggest obstacle/pitfall you must be aware of and not fall prey too.  

I would have loved to keep this numbers matching original. Back a few years a rod went through the numbers matching engine for this old girl. It was my Dads truck before I got it and his Uncles before that. He wanted to put a 440 in to the truck. It was never done because he got sick and past away.

So now it is mine. I have the 318 and the 904 transmission. I still have the Flathead 6 in the truck. But want a few more horses under the hood. At least so I can go on to the highway with it.

Some say it will fit right in. Others say no

Just now, Old CWO said:

For sure, I have seen that situation more times than I can recall.  Those projects are the ones to scoop up for a song after the guy succumbs to his wife's nagging about the pile of junk in the garage!  

Lol I have no wife or kids to nag me and hopefully at least another 25 years on the planet. lol

I think for this particular swap, you're going to have to stab it in and sort of see what's what.  The TV show guys seem to be able to do it in five minutes so it's obviously easy, right??

Transdapt used to make some universal and semi-universal engine swap mounts and cradles.  If I recall they were mostly Chevy/Ford focused but might be a good jumping off point for a Mopar project.  The poly 318s are similar to the LA; perhaps those mounts are also similar enough to start from.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

I would have loved to keep this numbers matching original. Back a few years a rod went through the numbers matching engine for this old girl. It was my Dads truck before I got it and his Uncles before that. He wanted to put a 440 in to the truck. It was never done because he got sick and past away.

So now it is mine. I have the 318 and the 904 transmission. I still have the Flathead 6 in the truck. But want a few more horses under the hood. At least so I can go on to the highway with it.

Some say it will fit right in. Others say no

I'm generally a purist but in this case, your dad wanted a 440 and the least you can do is get the truck closer to what he wanted.  

My dad loved my 51 B3B when I bought it but never got to drive it.  He told me once that the truck was the one vehicle of mine he'd like to drive (I have sports cars) when it was done.  I regret to this day that he never got the chance to drive it before he pass away.

Your truck, do what you want and enjoy the heck out of it!

Brad

• Like 1

some folks will make an adapter mount for this application....I cannot say who they are as I have never bought a mount kit in my life and make/adapt what I need on my retro installs.  Therein lies many problems you will be faced with, if you are hedging engine mount issues, this is a very basic challenge to some of the fabrication and welding skill you will need to do the entire retrofit.  Be sure of you ability to do the task before starting has always been my foreword to anyone doing major modification.  There is just no real cut and dry process for the most part and the very simple mod here to do this one task often will interfere or cause mod to yet another feature/application in the process.  Put this all down on paper, ask yourself if you do this, what is involved and what does each part affect in the application.  Be realistic with your evaluation.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

some folks will make an adapter mount for this application....I cannot say who they are as I have never bought a mount kit in my life and make/adapt what I need on my retro installs.  There in lines many problems you will be faced with, if you are hedging engine mount issues, this is a very challenge to some of the fabrication and welding skill you will need to do the entire retrofit.  Be sure of you ability to do the task before starting has always been my foreword to anyone doing major modification.  There is just no real cut and dry process for the most part and the very simple mod here to do this one task often will interfere or cause mod to yet another feature/application in the process.  Put this all down on paper, ask yourself if you do this, what is involved and what does each part affect in the application.  Be realistic with your evaluation.  

I agree

As to the steering interference question:  I don't think that will be a problem because of the steering gear location on the 54-60 trucks, fairly far forward and verticle on the frame.    All mounts will need to be custom.  An A 318 (or 277) series and manual trans would be a near bolt in, with the right parts. 

Just now, kencombs said:

As to the steering interference question:  I don't think that will be a problem because of the steering gear location on the 54-60 trucks, fairly far forward and verticle on the frame.    All mounts will need to be custom.  An A 318 (or 277) series and manual trans would be a near bolt in, with the right parts. 

The 904 is a automatic transmission. Not sure if I would want to put it in there. I was told by someone on here couple years back I have a T98 manual transmission in my truck. But the only thing I have found on that is it was used in Fords and Jeeps. 

I like engine swap projects, been doing them since the 60s.  Is the swap right for you/your truck? Only you can say. The intended swap is not 

complicated. Look at this swap, you will have similar needs: https://p15-d24.com/topic/18782-dans-hemi-swap-project/

Take a look at your existing engine/trans and especially the bellhousing.  Anything attached to the bell will have to have a similar attaching point

made when installing the TF. If you have a column shift it can be modified to shift the TF or, you can install a later auto-trans column assembly.  The other usual complication is the e-brake and the potential fix of installing a later rear axle. A better gear ratio is a side benefit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

I like engine swap projects, been doing them since the 60s.  Is the swap right for you/your truck? Only you can say. The intended swap is not 

complicated. Look at this swap, you will have similar needs: https://p15-d24.com/topic/18782-dans-hemi-swap-project/

Take a look at your existing engine/trans and especially the bellhousing.  Anything attached to the bell will have to have a similar attaching point

made when installing the TF. If you have a column shift it can be modified to shift the TF or, you can install a later auto-trans column assembly.  The other usual complication is the e-brake and the potential fix of installing a later rear axle. A better gear ratio is a side benefit.

Thank You I have been looking at either a 8.8 Ford rear end or a 8 3/4 rear end 

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

don't rule out the mopar 8.25 as it can handle anything that little 318/904 will put to it....AND if nervous...there are a don of Mopar 9.25's laying about

I think I may need to move the spring perch on anything I decide on.

2 hours ago, bambamshere said:

The 904 is a automatic transmission. Not sure if I would want to put it in there. I was told by someone on here couple years back I have a T98 manual transmission in my truck. But the only thing I have found on that is it was used in Fords and Jeeps. 

If you're still considering transmission options,  my suggestion is to take the time and effort to fit up something with overdrive.  OD transmissions give you the flexibility to run a lot lower axle gears for peppy bottom end performance while maintaining comfortable highway driving.  A modest displacement engine "punches above it's weight" in daily driving when geared properly; warmed up V8s run like scalded dogs.

Mopar OD's are great....and  you just have to stick with the OBD1 unit for application as they are still hydraulic shift with extrernal OD lockup and an easy hookup...(RH where R is rear wheel drive and H is hydraulic shift) you want to stay away from the REs as they require the computer module for shifting.....the 360s are externally balanced...so watch crossing these to the 318 if you find one that is not a combo eng/trans...you can get weighted flex plates for ease of retrofitting...I have not failed to get 250000+ and still running from all my early OD transmissions both A500 and A518's and I tow heavy loads in OD with them always...secret is not to follow the dipstick information as early units were printed with the wrong oil to use....a major snafu by Mopar that lead to the early death of many front and rear wheel drive transmissions...you must use ATF 3 or better...

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Mopar OD's are great....and  you just have to stick with the OBD1 unit for application as they are still hydraulic shift with extrernal OD lockup and an easy hookup...(RH where R is rear wheel drive and H is hydraulic shift) you want to stay away from the REs as they require the computer module for shifting.....the 360s are externally balanced...so watch crossing these to the 318 if you find one that is not a combo eng/trans...you can get weighted flex plates for ease of retrofitting...I have not failed to get 250000+ and still running from all my early OD transmissions both A500 and A518's and I tow heavy loads in OD with them always...secret is not to follow the dipstick information as early units were printed with the wrong oil to use....a major snafu by Mopar that lead to the early death of many front and rear wheel drive transmissions...you must use ATF 3 or better...

The 318 and 904 tranny are a pair. Both came out of the same 1970 Cuda. I would like a 727 but I will see how it goes

the 727 is a great tranny but the 904 carried the daily fleet to and fro for decades....you seriously do not need the extra harrumph from the 727 for a light truck application and it is not worth the added cost at the expense of the 904 sitting around and odds are you know more about this eng/tran than soliciting a 727 of unknown hygiene....your truck your money your ultimate call....

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

the 727 is a great tranny but the 904 carried the daily fleet to and fro for decades....you seriously do not need the extra harrumph from the 727 for a light truck application and it is not worth the added cost at the expense of the 904 sitting around and odds are you know more about this eng/tran than soliciting a 727 of unknown hygiene....your truck your money your ultimate call....

Thanks! Things to consider. I have reading some stuff from other sites and stuff about motor mounts. Basically put engine in and either buy them and figure it out or take your trusty cardboard draw something out