1942 desoto distributor

jyinger

according toone of my books the the 1949-50 desoto dizzy is an autolite IAP-4102c-1

breaker plate autolite iap-3004rd

points igp-3028ES

rotor- IGS 1016B

condesor IG-3927G

Cap IAO-1003

dizzy cam igs-1100r-1

dizzy shaft igs-2112RA

dizzy housing IAP-2012

Vacum Afvance VC-3147

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Think it would work but the DeSoto drive shaft is longer.  You would need to swap the Dodge one for the DeSoto Think it is just a matter of driving out the retaining roll pin and making the change.  Tune up parts would not necessarily be the same as the DeSoto so you would need to order by the Dodge dist number to assure the proper fit.  The advance curves might be slightly different but I doubt your backside Dyno could descern the difference, on Plymouth distributors at doesn't vary more than a couple degrees through the rpm range.

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Think it would work but the DeSoto drive shaft is longer.  You would need to swap the Dodge one for the DeSoto Think it is just a matter of driving out the retaining roll pin and making the change.  Tune up parts would not necessarily be the same as the DeSoto so you would need to order by the Dodge dist number to assure the proper fit.  The advance curves might be slightly different but I doubt your backside Dyno could descern the difference, on Plymouth distributors at doesn't vary more than a couple degrees through the rpm range.

Greg:  So why you want to go throught all of the issue of dismanteling the entire dizz then have to find the correct shaft but in the new dizzy upper and lower bushings and drive in a new retaining pin and then hope that you did it all correct.

I woud think it would be better just to get the correct dizzy. 

rich hartung

I'm cleaning up my "dizz" and failed to take a picture of the wired up internals.  Could someone pop their cap and snap a picture for me.  Its an Auto Lite IGS-4207-1 / Chrysler 1120566  which was on my 55 P26 230.  I'm about 95% confident I can get it but the picture in my service manual reprint is not very good quality.

Never mind.  I found a good photo out on ebay 

Edited by NickPickToo

15 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

I'm cleaning up my "dizz" and failed to take a picture of the wired up internals.  Could someone pop their cap and snap a picture for me.  Its an Auto Lite IGS-4207-1 / Chrysler 1120566  which was on my 55 P26 230.  I'm about 95% confident I can get it but the picture in my service manual reprint is not very good quality.

Never mind.  I found a good photo out on ebay 

Here, two pdf pages

Pages from DeSoto Shop Manual.pdf

• Thanks 1