Truck interior colors - all one color vs mixed colors

bkahler

I've got a delima on my hands. 

I've been planning all along on having a completely brown interior, i.e. seat and trim panels.  Today I got seat material samples from DCM Classics in brown and black.  I need to verify to be sure but the black pattern seems to look virtually identical to the original black seat in my truck.   The pattern on the brown material is definitely not the same pattern, it looks ok but definitely not the same.  

I really like the black pattern so now I'm considering going with a black seat.  The problem is the interior kit I bought from Roberts 20 years ago is brown.  To add to my angst, the Roberts panels never really impressed me all that much.  I haven't asked for a sample of DCM's interior panels but I might have to do so.  I guess another option is I could possibly color the brown panels black.  I'm not sure how I would do that but it might be an option.

So is it a big no no to mix colors in these trucks?!!

Brad

31 minutes ago, bkahler said:

I've got a delima on my hands. 

I've been planning all along on having a completely brown interior, i.e. seat and trim panels.  Today I got seat material samples from DCM Classics in brown and black.  I need to verify to be sure but the black pattern seems to look virtually identical to the original black seat in my truck.   The pattern on the brown material is definitely not the same pattern, it looks ok but definitely not the same.  

I really like the black pattern so now I'm considering going with a black seat.  The problem is the interior kit I bought from Roberts 20 years ago is brown.  To add to my angst, the Roberts panels never really impressed me all that much.  I haven't asked for a sample of DCM's interior panels but I might have to do so.  I guess another option is I could possibly color the brown panels black.  I'm not sure how I would do that but it might be an option.

So is it a big no no to mix colors in these trucks?!!

Brad

Well Brad it all depends on who you ask ? There are some who will go straight into convulsions over something like this........and then others of us who are totally OK with something that differs from how the truck left the factory. My answer is that it is your truck and you should do with it what you like. I have a very nice tan interior......but I have a horse blanket cover I made for my seat and I really like the way it feels.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Well Brad it all depends on who you ask ? There are some who will go straight into convulsions over something like this........and then others of us who are totally OK with something that differs from how the truck left the factory. My answer is that it is your truck and you should do with it what you like. I have a very nice tan interior......but I have a horse blanket cover I made for my seat and I really like the way it feels.

Jeff

I hear ya :)

I bet that horse blanket feels a lot better in summer than vinyl does!  It was probably 22 years ago when I made the decision to switch from black to brown interior and for the life of me I can't remember why I made that decision ?

Attached is a picture of the original, new black and new brown side by side.  The new black isn't quite like the original but it's pretty close.  The brown isn't even close in my opinion.  The feel of both black pieces feels very similar in that the grain is pronounced a fair amount.  The brown just feels smooth.  

20191209_185641x.jpg

Smooth vinyl on a bench seat works if the seat is pleated or quilted...otherwise, the textured vinyl helps to keep ya from sliding around too much when cornering or braking...

I had a local guy cover the '49 bench seat with a dark chocolate textured vinyl he had in his leftover pile...it looked black in the dim light of his warehouse, but in the sun, it has a dark brown tint...not original but I like it...if he had a dark tan vinyl, I would have gone that route...

You have my permission to use whatever color you want ?

• Thanks 1

Pretty much you can do what you want.  If you were doing a 100% resto, things would be different.  The thing is, you can't really get what was used back in the day most likely, so you make do with what you can.  My original seat (complete with blanket/drop in seat cushion to cover the butt holes on the drivers side) was very similar to the brown sample you show above.  Different years, different suppliers, different plants all lead to invariable deviation from a "norm".  1950's production countrywide had much more variation in it that we are used to today in our cookie cutter world.  Altho, you MIGHT be surprised how much deviation there is in today's products that you don't see.  If someone is going to restore a Cummins genset they will be surprised. I can tell you we use plenty of deviated parts to keep the machines going down the production line, and I'm positive the same has been happening since the dawn of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Smooth vinyl on a bench seat works if the seat is pleated or quilted...otherwise, the textured vinyl helps to keep ya from sliding around too much when cornering or braking...

I had a local guy cover the '49 bench seat with a dark chocolate textured vinyl he had in his leftover pile...it looked black in the dim light of his warehouse, but in the sun, it has a dark brown tint...not original but I like it...if he had a dark tan vinyl, I would have gone that route...

You have my permission to use whatever color you want ?

I always liked the plain interiors of the old trucks.  They were purpose built with no frills.  

Thanks for the permission..... ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pflaming said:

I did not like the 51-53 dash until I two toned it. The top of the dash continues to the doors a nice wraparound.

5644E976-8669-4FCB-931F-F3E40FC0818B.jpeg

Nice two tone.  Your dash reminds me of the spring specials.

I'm curious about the glove box lid on the left side.  Was that to hide a radio opening?

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

Pretty much you can do what you want.  If you were doing a 100% resto, things would be different.  The thing is, you can't really get what was used back in the day most likely, so you make do with what you can.  My original seat (complete with blanket/drop in seat cushion to cover the butt holes on the drivers side) was very similar to the brown sample you show above.  Different years, different suppliers, different plants all lead to invariable deviation from a "norm".  1950's production countrywide had much more variation in it that we are used to today in our cookie cutter world.  Altho, you MIGHT be surprised how much deviation there is in today's products that you don't see.  If someone is going to restore a Cummins genset they will be surprised. I can tell you we use plenty of deviated parts to keep the machines going down the production line, and I'm positive the same has been happening since the dawn of time.

You bring up some interesting insights and they make sense.

Late last night I got to thinking (with me that's dangerous!) about the interior panels that were originally in my truck, or should I say the remnants of panels.  The other day I found the remains of one of the kick panels and I think it was a dark brown.  It's been so long I'm not sure just what pieces of panels were still in the truck but I have a small pile of remnants.  I'll dig through them this evening to see if they are black, brown or a mixture.  

Would or could the truck have originally shipped with a black seat and the rest of the interior brown?

Thanks!

14 hours ago, bkahler said:

I hear ya :)

I bet that horse blanket feels a lot better in summer than vinyl does!  It was probably 22 years ago when I made the decision to switch from black to brown interior and for the life of me I can't remember why I made that decision ?

Attached is a picture of the original, new black and new brown side by side.  The new black isn't quite like the original but it's pretty close.  The brown isn't even close in my opinion.  The feel of both black pieces feels very similar in that the grain is pronounced a fair amount.  The brown just feels smooth.  

20191209_185641x.jpg

Brad;

Yep the horse blanket is comfortable in all conditions. And it has a fair amount of texture so you I don't slid around. It gets really hot here and in my mind is the only thing that makes sense for a seating surface.

The real thing here is you being comfortable. I am in my truck every day and I will tell you that when you spend much time in one of these trucks you want whatever creature comforts you can get. I spent quite a bit of time "fine tuning" the various aspects of the cab. It makes a huge difference if you plan on using your truck very much. Stuff like good cushioning, seat positioning, sound proofing and insulation can make a huge difference. And most of this can be achieved without dramatically altering the appearance of the truck.

Hth, Jeff

• Like 1

I can tell you that my black vinyl bench was not fun during the summer here in the high desert. 

It's now brown fabric on the contact surfaces...

If  you're looking for an interior dye/paint for the panels, check out SEM Blue Bird school bus brown.  While technically not "original" it sure looks appropriate to the vintage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

Glove box side. A qualified yes. To my eye, it balances the dash as well. I have added the tach in the speaker grille. 

D9906DFD-4D55-49EC-9161-60AEC4842ED6.jpeg

My curiosity is piqued....you have a University of Nebraska N in the center of your speedometer.  Are you in or from Nebraska?

2 hours ago, Old CWO said:

I can tell you that my black vinyl bench was not fun during the summer here in the high desert. 

It's now brown fabric on the contact surfaces...

If  you're looking for an interior dye/paint for the panels, check out SEM Blue Bird school bus brown.  While technically not "original" it sure looks appropriate to the vintage.

I'll bet it gets rather hot in the high desert!  It's been many years since I've been in or near a desert.  

I've actually used that particular SEM color before on the dash of my Argosy motorhome.  I agree, it does have a vintage look to it.

Thanks!

Brad

From Nebraska, grew up near North Platte on a grain an cattle ranch. Had no neighbors to the East or south, just natural grass pastures know as the Great Sand Hills. No electricity, no telephone, no radio after sundown, no crime, poverty, homelessness, nor fake news!

My best friends were my dog and my horse. It was the Best of times!  Photo taken 1949 circa. Bunk house my bedroom.

D6931A27-5C60-4C6A-BCF4-E5D57194C33B.jpeg

• Like 4

I like my vehicles stock when it comes to mechanics and exterior. However, I never really liked the grey striped materials of the interior. It does not bother me to change that part of the car as you can see in the picture. I also painted the dash a solid colour as my '51 Dodge D39 business coupe (Canadian Dodge) would have had wood grain. Your vehicle so do what you want!

IMG_1611.JPG.0277f56388bf8c0b95977d5d8db856f4.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, pflaming said:

From Nebraska, grew up near North Platte on a grain an cattle ranch. Had no neighbors to the East or south, just natural grass pastures know as the Great Sand Hills. No electricity, no telephone, no radio after sundown, no crime, poverty, homelessness, nor fake news!

My best friends were my dog and my horse. It was the Best of times!  Photo taken 1949 circa. Bunk house my bedroom.

D6931A27-5C60-4C6A-BCF4-E5D57194C33B.jpeg

Boy does that scenery look familiar!  

I have family in Mitchell and many times we drove around looking for the place my dad grew up.  Only real difference is there was no snow on the ground when I was there!

Thanks for sharing the picture, it brings back memories.

Brad

6 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I like my vehicles stock when it comes to mechanics and exterior. However, I never really liked the grey striped materials of the interior. It does not bother me to change that part of the car as you can see in the picture. I also painted the dash a solid colour as my '51 Dodge D39 business coupe (Canadian Dodge) would have had wood grain. Your vehicle so do what you want!

IMG_1611.JPG.0277f56388bf8c0b95977d5d8db856f4.JPG

Nice looking car :)

Your choice of color combination looks good with the browns.  I'm not sure a black and brown combination would be as appropriate.  

I think I'm going to try and sell the brown kit and then buy a black one.  Barring that I may try painting the panels.  I do need to make up my mind fairly soon because I don't want to put the windows in until the panels are installed.  

Decisions decisions!

Thanks,

Brad

I like a little contrasting colors on an interior.....you do not have to go to extremes, I have multiple shades of blue in my 54......I think it is easy on the eyes and I guess that is all that matters.....nothing wrong with one color...many cars today are sorta less inviting shade of gray...

On the trucks..the rear glass rubber has a wide lip to help hold the rear cab card board upholstery liner in place.This is a nice finished look.

Rear glass and rubber in last.

• Thanks 1

As for truck stock interiors and colors......nah

I like more choice of colors and contrast ...

Quality sound deadening and insulating materials is what I made and installed.

Warping, poor fitting rigid truck interiors not for me?

Interior redo 1986  Big Red.JPG

B3 PU Interior.JPG

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Brad;

Just my opinion but I think it is better to put all the glass in before the interior goes in.

Jeff

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

On the trucks..the rear glass rubber has a wide lip to help hold the rear cab card board upholstery liner in place.This is a nice finished look.

Rear glass and rubber in last.

This is kinda where I get confused.  I've been reading through the truck forum staring at the beginning of the archive and reading forward in time.  I've read posts where people suggest what Jeff has recommended and I've read posts where people say to do what Dodgeb4ya recommends.  

I guess sometimes a person can do too much reading and really get confused which makes even harder to decide what to do !  

I really do appreciate all of the input.  Now I just need to figure out which direction to take.

Thanks!

Brad

IMO glass and rubber first (siding with JB on this one).  Less chance of mucking up the interior stuff dinking around with the glass.  IMO easy to put the interior into the slot in the rubber than to try and get 2 things to engage at once. 

• Like 2

With new rubber it is generally pliable enough to fit the interior panels in easily afterwards. At least I found that to be true with the Steele rubber products I used for the rear windows in my truck. Getting the glass in especially the corner windows is a job in itself. And if you use any sort of sealant or bedding product it would probably get all over your new interior.

Again this is just based on my experience.

Jeff