sisson linkages

ktroyh

Hello Everyone!

I have a 1946 dodge wc pickup that has a 1953 plymouth p24 engine in it. I guess this was a common swap from what I have been told. It doesn't look like it was ever completely finish as some parts are not on the carburetor.

The linkage from the sisson to the choke and from the choke to the throttle are not there.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find them or the proper dimensions to make them?

Thanks,

Troy

Edited by ktroyh

you can make your own rod. It is bend on each end so that one goes into the lever arm of the choke and the other goes into the butterly choke plate on the carb. You will need to clips that can be purchase at a napa store.  You might find one of these rods on ebay but that will be a hard items to find.  Do you know how to set the choke to make it work properly?

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

My parts book says it should be 6- 1/8" long.  A true on vehicle measurement may be better. You can adjust the arm for a bit of error in length.

My caliper reads a diameter of 0.16"  Will need to be close to have the clips work properly, or get clips that fit the rod if you fab your own.

DSCF8405.JPG

DSCF8406.JPG

Edited by _shel_ny
spelling

There also cannot be any slop/play in any of the rod to pivot holes (must use the factory diameter rod size).

The proper sisson choke adjustment requires all this plus an accurate gauge pin to set the Sisson unit. Desoto39 can guide you on all this.

The original truck carb is set up for a manual choke cable.

What's the two wires going over the carb top?

Certainly not the chrysler M5 trans wiring!

• 3 weeks later...

The engine was swapped to a P24. I had a Sisson setup in my 49 Wayfarer and it worked very nicely. The information on rod lengths and diameters will be very helpful. Now I just need to find the best way to power it with the push pedal starter.

I was thinking maybe a brake pedal switch or something similar that is depressed at the same time as the starter pedal.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Troy

On the pedal starter it pushes a rod down and on the top of the starter motor is a starter selinoid. on the side near the front of the switch where the battery cable is connected there is a tiny hole. A screw goes into this hole the scew holes the wire that then goes to the screw that is on the fron top of the sisson choke.  so when the  pedal makes contact with the starter switch it then send the electrical current throught the wire and then to the sisson choke.

This is the setup that is on my 39 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• 4 months later...

Hi Everybody!

My first post?.  I have a 1946 Dodge D24 with fluid drive and need to make up the linkage rod from the Sisson automatic choke to the carb.  From the chart provided by  _shel_ny it looks like the correct length is 7 7/8", the only entry for 1946, tho this is off to the right of the red box and I'm not sure what the header is for the column I'm looking at.  Made up one of these and when I adjust the lever on the Sisson arm it ends up close to horizontal as opposed to the approx 45 degree angle in the pic provided by chrysler1941 so I may be too long.  Carb is a Stromberg BXVD-3.  

Does anyone have one they can measure or know the correct spec - any help would be appreciated!

Doug 

Edited by Blue Dodge
improve