1948 d24 convertible wiring

Brad

Guys, new to the site. My dad is working on his 1948 dodge d24 convertible, is struggling with the placement...or lack of obvious routing of rear wiring harness from firewall to rear of car. There appears to be no indentations in floor boards for wiring to route in to rear of the car. The floor boards may have been repaired, were not duplicated? Any pics would be much appreciated. 

they normally passed up and through the a-post to the run alongside the roof clipped in place and well away from the headliner bows...then down along the c-pillar into the trunk where it broke out for interior lamp and brake light. then fuel gauge and on rearward along the wheel hump to the rear light panel

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The main rear harness Runs along the drivers side floor back to the top motors (harness between both)...continues back to rear of top well, splits over to passenger side of car...... first running a wire into the trunk lid feeding the brake and license lights then continuing on along under the rear of the top well over to the right rear tail light.

Right where the harness splits off to feed the passenger side of the car it continues on to the drivers side tail light.

Approximately 18" before the drivers tail light there is or was a strip of bent over tabs on the trunk floor leading to the 5" gas tank sender access hole. 

The blue fuel fuel gauge sender wire follows under that tab strip to the fuel gauge sender.

Who ever ran the tires for the rear signals in my coupe ran them along the drivers side door sill under the floor mat then through a small in the trunk bulk head and then up to join the wires coming into the trunk at  the package shelf.   Plymouth verts operated on vacuum, since the switch is at the passenger side end of the dash board, the vacuum line probably follows a similar path along the passenger door.

Of course D24 Dodge uses electric motor screw drives to operate the tops.?

As was said earlier.....the 46-48 Plymouths had a vacuum operated top.  The metal tubes ran from a push/pull switch on passenger side of the dash.

along the floorboard to the area under the rear seat/and top well.......with tubes which crossed over to driver's side vacuum cannister.  As you can see,

this is no help to the Dodge question.   Just explaining how the Plymouth was different.....as I have one.    You might check with these folks to see if they have anything for your car.

Hydro-E-Lectric

Auto Upholstery
  • Phone: (941) 639-0437
  • Hours: Closed · Opens tomorrow 8:30 AM
    Days of week Open hours
    Tuesday
    8:30 AM - 5 PM
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Closed
    Sunday
    Closed
    Monday
Edited by BobT-47P15

Thanks guys. 

Do do you think the floors had an indent for the wiring harness, or was just spread out under the carpet? It’s a lot of wires because it does have a power top etc. 

If if anyone has a picture, would be very helpful. Thanks

Thanks

No indent in the floor.

I have a 48 Chrysler convert that has the original nice harness still in it.

It's hibernating up on a lift for the winter otherwise I'd lift the carpets to show some of the harness.I've had the car for over 40 years..

I found some old slides of the wiring under the rear seat area heading to the tear of the car and along the beam on the floor under the tear seat

..wiring clips on the side of it that retain the rt side top motor harness.

Maybe somehow I can convert to pics.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Very similar routing but missing the top motor wiring.

40 year old slides showing 1948 Chrysler convertibles rear seat area top motor harness wiring....

Which continues on into the trunk area along drivers side 1/4 panel of floor ....the wire harness continues just up to drivers side of the  trunk...then it y's off to the Rt......... underneath the top well in bent clips to the pass tail light and trunk lid stop and license lamps.....

Also where it Y's at the drivers side it continues straight back along the underside of the trunk weatherstrip channel down to drivers rear tail light...and a leg of this harness drops down to trunk floor 10" back of tail light to feed gas tank sender... there are about four  bent wire harness clips under the weatherstrip channel to retain the tail light harnesses on both Rt and left sides.

Look for the bent over metal retaining strip on the trunk floor..it follows drivers side of floor over to gas tank sender hole )

A blue wire and a black and yellow  lay under this 15" harness retaining tab strip going to gas tank sender.

.I have no all steel car trunk wiring harness photo's..... the cars shown are T & C woodies ....T and C trunks are all wood framed .....trunk wiring is a bit different as there is more and different routing of the  wiring and grounding wires.

Hope this isn't too confusing as I'm all worn out typing:blink:...

C39 TandC Cliff 1978 (28).JPG

C39 TandC Cliff 1978 (29).JPG

C39 TandC Cliff 1978 (30).JPG

C39 TandC Cliff 1978 (32).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

on my 54 Windsor the wires for the top motor run under the door sill on the driver side. then there is a hole in the raised part of the floor that the front edge of the seat rests on, and after passing thru that on to the relay. the system is hydraulic.    capt den