tie rod taper degree - Anyone know ?

James_Douglas

The standard automotive taper is 1 1/2" per foot.

If you have one of the parts you can calculate it out to one foot.

Since Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends are hardened it's always easier to ream the Pitman Arm or Spindle to fit.

Google: Automotive Tie Rod Reamer and you'll find all sorts of them from automotive suppliers like Summit Racing and Speedway.

Loren, I am well aware I can calculate it. However, the car is in my place out of town 80 miles away. Hence why I asked. GM and Ford use two different tappers. That means that these is no "standard" tapper.

I am not looking to ream my tapers. I am looking at making a pin to fit the tapper.

James.

Well I wish you very good luck!

I’ve ground tapers and I can tell you it is devilishly difficult.

Be prepared to make a lot of scrap.

Even with really good machinery it would be a miracle to get it right on the first try.

I am sure there are people who grind tapers all day who have the skill to do it but they are very rare so be patient.

the folks at mopar do not readily give this fact out on their blub sheets..so there is a question as to degree...the bad part is James states he does not have his at hand to measure...and to be honest I would be somewhat leery of other's folks measurements given the short area one has to work with in measuring and what type tool/device they using to measure with.  I would think it be best he go to a parts house and see if they have an example on hand he could make his measurements from and know that he has what he needs to start out with. 

OOPS..forgot part two…...

Given that James though he did not state is going to Heim setup as his end goal...these products are available and cheap given the machining time and material involved....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Motors-Steel-Monroe-Tie-Rod-Conversion-Kit-7-Degree-Taper-1-2-20/131552751657?epid=1944255452&hash=item1ea127b029:g:ItMAAOSw~cldEt~m

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

23 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the folks at mopar do not readily give this fact out on their blub sheets..so there is a question as to degree...the bad part is James states he does not have his at hand to measure...and to be honest I would be somewhat leery of other's folks measurements given the short area one has to work with in measuring and what type tool/device they using to measure with.  I would think it be best he go to a parts house and see if they have an example on hand he could make his measurements from and know that he has what he needs to start out with. 

OOPS..forgot part two…...

Given that James though he did not state is going to Heim setup as his end goal...these products are available and cheap given the machining time and material involved....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Motors-Steel-Monroe-Tie-Rod-Conversion-Kit-7-Degree-Taper-1-2-20/131552751657?epid=1944255452&hash=item1ea127b029:g:ItMAAOSw~cldEt~m

Hence why I was wondering what the MOPAR taper is as there are some out there that may work...I even spotted one for a Mazda that look good.

Turns out my heat treatment house in Oakland treats parts for Rare Parts...Small world.

James.