Percentage of cars by color?

Bbdakota

Wondering if there's a way to determine what percentage of a particular year and model for each color or a specific color. For instance, I have a 48 d24 2dr sedan in windward green. I'm curious if windward green was very popular back then, what percentage of 48 d24s were windward green....

What got me curious? I like looking at vintage pictures of cars and every now and then, I'll see an old picture of a windward green 46-48. So that got me curious as to how common or how rare windward green was. I'm sure others have wondered about the color of their cars, how do you research such a thing? Thanks

I can understand you interest in number of cars you share a color with but to my knowledge there is no history or records that break this down in numbers and of course for years that a certain color may have carried over would further complicate the numbers.  Only a few cars of interest truly have this data spelled out.  While you can get a build sheet for your vehicle, there is no comparison data included as in 1 out of xxxx number made. 

Lots of black ones, cruiser maroon was popular, dark blue, yellow, tan, dark green, peasoup green, cadet blue, airwing grey,  sumac red, are colors I have seen at shows around the country.  A friend has a green called Hollywood.

Maybe let's do a picture poll

Black

DSCN2433.JPG

picture poll would not be that conclusive either with all the repaint over the years....any information you get will be skewed at best as only the Canadian models truly had the color tagged on the firewall...a car painted some 5 owners or x decades back and suffered a color changed...many would be posting false information...now if you limited participation to those vehicles with a historic build tag/IBM card.......you sample may be smaller but will be accurate.  Color can define a car for sure, one of my cars is 1 0f 37 of only 1080 total built...add the factory sheep skin seat hides and it become one in a handful.  This is what a model/year registry will help determine in absence of a factory record, but then again, you data is only as accurate as that submitted.  It would be an endeavor but I see little total owner representation given every owner here contributed..these cars still turning up like leaves falling from trees, many are not even aware of this website or care not to participate.    

I have for several years collected various photos regarding my car model from the internet.

Unfortunately the are all b/w so no way to know for sure.

Definitely an interesting subject. ?

Chrysler did not offer Black in 1939-42

Mine was code 346 Polo Green light

Capture.JPG

Edited by chrysler1941

Mine is black ,1941 chrysler windsor convertible  ,one of ten lustre baked solid colours offered by Chrysler in all models and all series for the year.Additionally the convertible ONLY was offered in sumac red. Two additional two tone colours also available on closed models.

11 hours ago, normanpitkin said:

Mine is black ,1941 chrysler windsor convertible  ,one of ten lustre baked solid colours offered by Chrysler in all models and all series for the year.Additionally the convertible ONLY was offered in sumac red. Two additional two tone colours also available on closed models.

Interesting. Didn't know about the one color only convertible.

None of my color charts from 41 show any black. A dark blue called Newport Blue was the darkest I can find.

Any documentation of black color ? What is S.O. ?

I would think unless a car has been completely restored by a previous owner, I'm talking every nut and bolt, taken all the way down to the metal. It's pretty easy to determine the original color. Most of the cars I read about on this forum have not been stripped down that far. If the poll requirements include that the person is fairly certain of the original color and there's enough participation.....it'll be fairly accurate. Of course, the number of active members here is only a drop in the bucket compared to the number of these cars built.

This is the page from my salesmans handbook  ,i also have the original build sheet and documentation from the original owner in 1941 ,he bought it for his wife and kept it fo rover 50 years,I have all the documents from each year.Originalowner was the Oscar winning cinematographer for such films as Its a wonderful life,Lost Horizon etc etc. ,name Joseph Walker

4F744D8C-381C-4FE6-9B37-6731704A68AC.heic4F744D8C-381C-4FE6-9B37-631704A68AC.heic

EDF31A7C-F948-4B9E-8817-18D725E4069F_1_201_a.jpeg

4F744D8C-381C-4FE6-9B37-6731704A68AC_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by normanpitkin
incorrect image

personally I think black was a color at the top of the list of most all car makers......I could not imagine a car not being available in black....especially back in those days...as a side note....the 9000 or 99 code is still pretty much valid for black.  Not every color was on the chip chart...usually the reverse side would include the base colors that folks knew all to well...black is as stated often the first color listed...

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1941-Chrysler.html

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

39 minutes ago, normanpitkin said:

This is the page from my salesmans handbook  ,i also have the original build sheet and documentation from the original owner in 1941 ,he bought it for his wife and kept it fo rover 50 years,I have all the documents from each year.Originalowner was the Oscar winning cinematographer for such films as Its a wonderful life,Lost Horizon etc etc. ,name Joseph Walke

Excellent documentation I wish I had a scanned copy of salesman handbook. Thanks for info, I stand corrected. 

I guess black means real black and not some smart variation like today.

Having history of the car is great. I was not so lucky. Only know went to a dealer in Arizona.

BTW your link doesn't work.

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

personally I think black was a color at the top of the list of most all car makers......I could not imagine a car not being available in black....especially back in those days...as a side note....the 9000 or 99 code is still pretty much valid for black.  Not every color was on the chip chart...usually the reverse side would include the base colors that folks knew all to well...black is as stated often the first color listed...

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1941-Chrysler.html

Yes that makes sense. no need to show known colors. 

21 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

picture poll would not be that conclusive either with all the repaint over the years....any information you get will be skewed at best as only the Canadian models truly had the color tagged on the firewall...a car painted some 5 owners or x decades back and suffered a color changed...many would be posting false information...now if you limited participation to those vehicles with a historic build tag/IBM card.......you sample may be smaller but will be accurate.  Color can define a car for sure, one of my cars is 1 0f 37 of only 1080 total built...add the factory sheep skin seat hides and it become one in a handful.  This is what a model/year registry will help determine in absence of a factory record, but then again, you data is only as accurate as that submitted.  It would be an endeavor but I see little total owner representation given every owner here contributed..these cars still turning up like leaves falling from trees, many are not even aware of this website or care not to participate.    

How many would you estimate have had a production record done by Chrysler with photo of their IBM build sheet punch card?

My guess is they are few.

A real color poll could be from the punch cards as you mention.

Edited by chrysler1941

I would think even if you had this forum, the WPC club input and the AACA the count would not be high enough to get a proper cross section for a serious percentage in color....you would get returns....and it would have to be stated in the final report that it is but a cross section of responders and be shown in a pie chart if you will against the whole pie which would be the total # for that year.  Say if you had 100,000 cars built in the sample year and 58 responders was in black..the math would be a whopping .058%  

Our D24 was originally "Fortress Gray".  I painted it a "dove gray" shortly after we bought it, which has a tinge more blue in it than the original, but now faded pretty close to original after 28 years.  A PO had done a poor paint job in silver, I don't mind silver, but it looked awful on the D24, much less that it was not done well.  That said, there is no indication anywhere on the car identifying what color it was painted at the factory.  

18 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I would think even if you had this forum, the WPC club input and the AACA the count would not be high enough to get a proper cross section for a serious percentage in color....you would get returns....and it would have to be stated in the final report that it is but a cross section of responders and be shown in a pie chart if you will against the whole pie which would be the total # for that year.  Say if you had 100,000 cars built in the sample year and 58 responders was in black..the math would be a whopping .058%  

?

My 48 DeSoto business coupe has its original color, although it is shot, and it's Monterey blue, which is a light grayish blue.  It's a very attractive color if you like a mellow look.  I have noticed that many other DeSotos in the 46-48 years have my color of Monterey Blue.  There was also a dark blue called Carmel Blue.