Overdrive options

Wes Flippen

9 hours ago, Wes Flippen said:

Hi guys,

I have a 1950 Coronet with 230 and an M5 with fluid drive coupling. I'd really like to replace the transmission with one with overdrive for highway driving. Any direct swaps?

Thanks,

Wes

Chrysler made an Overdrive for Vacamatic M4 that should fit M5 

Dad and I swapped an overdrive into a 51 dodge with gyromatic. Needed the long input shaft on the OD standard linkage for shifting and I believe an extension for the parking brake cable. 

• Like 1

Can anyone really wed an overdrive to a semi-automatic transmission?  Our long-wheelbase sedan has an extra chunk of driveshaft which would make room for a separate overdrive.  And then the old Fords offered a two-speed differential.  I think a few years ago James Douglas looked into adding an overdrive to a semi-automatic transmission, but the cost was prohibitive.   He's planning on putting an automatic transmission in his black beast.  

In my DeSoto with the semi-automatic transmission, i can feel the upshift at 30 mph, plus or minus.  When i get up to 45 mph or so, I expect to feel another upshift, but it's not there.  High revs at highway speed.  I just have to get used to it. 

I could put a numerically lower geared rear end, which would help at highway speeds, but that would hurt the already limp acceleration.  For the few highway-speed excursions I make, I'll live with what I have.   But that does not stop the imagining  and dreaming.  

(Per Recognitions and Remembrances, R.I.P., big Don)

I have seen one of those on ebay.

Maybe the same one.

That looks to be an R6 OD mated to the M6 with a one off adapter.

Bizarre trans for sure.

22 hours ago, Wes Flippen said:

Guys,

Y'all have been helpful. Getting me in the right direction. Now the million dollar question...anyone know where a guy could score an R6 or R7 overdrive unit?

If George doesn't have one I think I've got a spare